Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
South Africa, Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
Looking for anyone with experience downloading 375 to 9.3x62 territory.

Since my wife has never shot anything with thump, I want to work up a load with a 250 gr (Barnes, Hornady, Sierra, etc), or possibly Hammer's 220 or 256 gr, that will come in at under 30 ft lbs of recoil in my new Ruger #1 tropical.

I'll likely be using Varget over the other medium rate spherical I have since they seem to perform more consistently with powder charges above 95% fill.

At the upper 20s, that's roughly the same as a lightweight 30-06 pushing 200 gr or heavier bullets, so shouldn't be a bad intro to medium bore.

@sgt_zim, I'm a fairly short individual (5'5"), and weight roughly 165 lbs. I was a bit concerned with the recoil of the 375 H&H too, and truthfully didn't know what to expect. My rifle is a CZ-550, worked on by AHR & JD Renner, and I want to say it probably weights around 10 lbs. I shot it from the bench to zero, and then I only shot it from the sticks, and I used a Caldwell Magnum shoulder recoil pad like the one below. One thing I noticed the recoil was harder with Fed factory ammo then with any other ammo brand.

I'd suggest get her started with a 30-06 or so, work her way to the 9.3x62, and then to the 375 H&H. If you are going to use this ammo just for punching paper, I'd look at the Speer bullets, they are inexpensive and will serve you well to punch paper and practice.

The recoil of the 375 H&H is not violent at all, and the weight of the rifle will have a huge effect on the felt recoil.

I hope this helps.

1729259826732.png

My bad, I didn't see you have a Ruger No.1. I've noticed that most of my No1s kick a lot harder than the same caliber on a bolt action.

It's a Ruger #1, so a little light for 375 H&H, I think factory spec on it is around 8.5#, plus a scope will get me a little over 9#. I have a heavy PAST pad I use for my 404J, definitely part of the equation.

I had a couple 30-06, but I sold them both years ago. My 9.3 is just way too long for her to shoot - LOP is 14.75 to fit me. I have some nice, mild loads for Oryx at a bit under 2300 fps, the rifle is just too long for her.

I'm checking with a couple buddies to see if I could borrow a 30-06 or 300 WSM, but I think I'm going to have to find a slow load with a light bullet for the Ruger.

What will your wife be hunting with the 375? Is it DG? If so, she may want to work up to shooting full power loads. If not, then why not get her a rifle of smaller caliber for her use only? Or, will the light loads only be used for range practice? If so, I get that. The 375 is a pussycat when shot in the field standing from sticks. In the heat of the moment, you hardly feel the recoil. But, from a bench shooting 300g full power loads, it can be unpleasant. Not terrible, as long as I remember to hold it snug (thigh) to my shoulder. But, if I get sloppy with my hold, it will leave a mark. I was sighting a new scope to one of my 375HH rifles about 6wks ago and failed to hold it correctly for two of the shots. The stabbing pain in my shoulder was enough to stop the range session. I had a bruise on my shoulder for over a month. It is only now, starting to feel normal. Still, two weeks ago, I was out again shooting the same rifle to do some dope verifications and to test a new load of A-Frames. It did not hurt at all. All I can think is that I did make sure to tuck it into my shoulder well before pulling the trigger.

What will your wife be hunting with the 375? Is it DG? If so, she may want to work up to shooting full power loads. If not, then why not get her a rifle of smaller caliber for her use only? Or, will the light loads only be used for range practice? If so, I get that. The 375 is a pussycat when shot in the field standing from sticks. In the heat of the moment, you hardly feel the recoil. But, from a bench shooting 300g full power loads, it can be unpleasant. Not terrible, as long as I remember to hold it snug (thigh) to my shoulder. But, if I get sloppy with my hold, it will leave a mark. I was sighting a new scope to one of my 375HH rifles about 6wks ago and failed to hold it correctly for two of the shots. The stabbing pain in my shoulder was enough to stop the range session. I had a bruise on my shoulder for over a month. It is only now, starting to feel normal. Still, two weeks ago, I was out again shooting the same rifle to do some dope verifications and to test a new load of A-Frames. It did not hurt at all. All I can think is that I did make sure to tuck it into my shoulder well before pulling the trigger.
Initially, she didn't even want to go to Africa. After we started walking and stalking, she decided it was pretty cool. By day 6, she'd decided she wanted to get behind a rifle and hunt zebra.

I have a 280AI she could use, but given the growth of her appetite so far, I'm pretty sure she'll eventually want a buffalo. Even if she doesn't, 375 H&H downloaded with 250 gr bullets will still be the bees knees for everything. This is a Ruger #1, so it is a little light for 375 H&H. She's 5'10" and about 160 lbs, so she's got enough stature to handle it, I just don't want to scare her off of shooting a DG gun by having her first experience be with full bore 300 gr bullets.

I have a PAST pad which will be part of the range day kit, I'd just like a mild load for the 375 that comes in around where a heavy 30-06 load comes in on recoil.

It's a Ruger #1, so a little light for 375 H&H, I think factory spec on it is around 8.5#, plus a scope will get me a little over 9#. I have a heavy PAST pad I use for my 404J, definitely part of the equation.

I had a couple 30-06, but I sold them both years ago. My 9.3 is just way too long for her to shoot - LOP is 14.75 to fit me. I have some nice, mild loads for Oryx at a bit under 2300 fps, the rifle is just too long for her.

I'm checking with a couple buddies to see if I could borrow a 30-06 or 300 WSM, but I think I'm going to have to find a slow load with a light bullet for the Ruger.

Actually the bare rifle is 9.2lbs with a scope your are going to be 10lb or real close.
Like others have said a 250g bullet should do the trick.
Stay off the bench and have her work off sticks, much tamer that way.

Guess I'll have to weigh it when it gets here. This thread shows the 1H Tropical at 8.7 lbs

I've download .375 H&H for many years using the Sierra 200gn FN Pro Hunter bullet, it works great for hunting large whitetail and is real easy on recoil. The bullet is made primarily for the .375 Winchester cartridge but functions well in my .375 H&H, none of the whitetail deer ever complain!

I appreciate that you may want a better quality bullet with a little bit more weight for larger game and certainly for buffalo but it would be a great practice and medium sized game bullet.

Here is what Sierra has to say:

"This bullet is also very effective in the 375 H&H Magnum, but velocity should be kept around 2200 fps to avoid over-expansion in game."

I've download .375 H&H for many years using the Sierra 200gn FN Pro Hunter bullet, it works great for hunting large whitetail and is real easy on recoil. The bullet is made primarily for the .375 Winchester cartridge but functions well in my .375 H&H, none of the whitetail deer ever complain!

I appreciate that you may want a better quality bullet with a little bit more weight for larger game and certainly for buffalo but it would be a great practice and medium sized game bullet.

Here is what Sierra has to say:

"This bullet is also very effective in the 375 H&H Magnum, but velocity should be kept around 2200 fps to avoid over-expansion in game."
This is just to get her warmed up to the idea of shooting a 375 H&H. We will graduate to more recoil over time.

235gr Barnes
72gr Varget

That’s about as light as you can take a 375H&H.
With a sissy pad, recoil should be similar to a full power 30-06.

Guess I'll have to weigh it when it gets here. This thread shows the 1H Tropical at 8.7 lbs

I’ll put mine on a scale tonight. I have an older one Red butt pad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChangDimon

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia