Ammo weight question

Yes. Same for Delta. The challenge is flying in South Africa Air Link only gives 5kg including box. I have reduced ammo load to sixty 300 win mag and fifty 7mm Rem mag. Now, box, lock, extra lock and ammo come in under 5kg so one less thing to worry about.
Air Link let me fly with ammo in a case that combined weighed more than 5kg. In Kimberly they weighed the ammo separate to confirm.

Ok, I’ll say it. Too damn much ammo.

:cool:

That's just being Flippant. :)

Make sure it’s u der the weight limit with the case. Our ammo did not get weighed on our trip last year to Zimbabwe.

It did get weighed on the way home even after shooting some ammo my friends ammo was too heavy when weighed with the case. The police got envolved although they didn’t give us any hassle. They simply didn’t know what to do with the extra as we couldn’t just throw it in the trash and they didn’t want to be responsible for it. It was obvious they had never dealt with this before. Finally our handler the ph had paid to walk us through customs and take care of us called the ph and worked it out with the police to leave it with them and his wife would come down and pick it up as he was able to have ammo in Zimbabwe.
I plan on gifting the extra ammunition and case to the PH for a future client. Not worth the hassle coming back.

Ok, I’ll say it. Too damn much ammo.

:cool:
Old habits are hard to break, but I agree. Because of the wisdom of this group I have reduced it down to 60 rounds of 300 win mag and 50 rounds of 7 REM Mag. That including case lock and extra lock in case TSA decides they want to cut my lock off is 10.5 lbs.

I plan on gifting the extra ammunition and case to the PH for a future client. Not worth the hassle coming back.
You can cause a lot of problems for yourself if you should say that there or on returning to US. You used it all. Coming back with some empty brass and a few rounds is easier at times because there is nothing to explain.

I’d suggest that 50 rounds of each should be way more than you need. Even if one rifle went down you’d still have 50 rds with the other. If not then there is a problem.
Bruce

I brought two rifles on my recent trip. I ended up only using my .280AI the whole time. You should be aware that Airlink is going to charge you approximately $31 per rifle each way as a surcharge for traveling with firearms. They are also going to want you to declare that you are traveling with firearms well in advance.

As to weight, I don't believe they weighed my ammo case in Jo'Berg but I distinctly remember it being weighed on my outgoing flight from Port Elizabeth.

I'd just bring the ammo back.

The two calibers that you are taking are quite common and can be purchase in South Africa. That along with what was said, trying to explain why you are just bringing a rifle back and no cases or loaded ammo could get interesting.

Old habits are hard to break, but I agree. Because of the wisdom of this group I have reduced it down to 60 rounds of 300 win mag and 50 rounds of 7 REM Mag. That including case lock and extra lock in case TSA decides they want to cut my lock off is 10.5 lbs.
I didn't lock my ammo case flying to and from South Africa on Delta. I just packed it my checked suitcase which was locked. However, I used regular Master locks on my case when checking it with Airlink and not TSA locks.

I'd just bring the ammo back.

The two calibers that you are taking are quite common and can be purchase in South Africa. That along with what was said, trying to explain why you are just bringing a rifle back and no cases or loaded ammo could get interesting.
My answer will be the truth. I gifted the ammo for a future hunter. As far as I know nothing illegal bout that.

I brought two rifles on my recent trip. I ended up only using my .280AI the whole time. You should be aware that Airlink is going to charge you approximately $31 per rifle each way as a surcharge for traveling with firearms. They are also going to want you to declare that you are traveling with firearms well in advance.

As to weight, I don't believe they weighed my ammo case in Jo'Berg but I distinctly remember it being weighed on my outgoing flight from Port Elizabeth.
Yes sir I am aware. My travel agent has already made them aware of the firearm and it is my understanding I have to pay at the counter. 280 AI is a great round! Big fan of 7mm family. Only reason my 7mm Rem mag won't be my primary rifle is it a custom rifle built on a Weatherby Mark V action with a Sendero profile barrel. She is extremely accurate but she's a heavy girl. My 300 Win Mag is much lighter weight so I plan on using it most of the time.

You can cause a lot of problems for yourself if you should say that there or on returning to US. You used it all. Coming back with some empty brass and a few rounds is easier at times because there is nothing to explain.
Is there anything wrong or illegal with leaving ammunition in South Africa for a PH? I have heard of others doing this.

Is there anything wrong or illegal with leaving ammunition in South Africa for a PH? I have heard of others doing this.
Technically yes. You are taking ammo outside the US for personal and temporary use not permanent export. If you tell SAPS you left it as a gift what they may hear is you gave ammo to an individual who may or may not be licensed for it. It’s a common practice that you leave without ammo or short some rounds, but you used it all, you didn’t just leave it. You can’t always count on getting a logical or competent individual in Africa just because they wear a uniform. Don’t create problems for yourself.

Previously:

My last safaris were in 2021. Zimbabwe after a Buff and LDE, bad PH and an unwanted change from LDE to hippo. From Zimbabwe to RSA for 5 PG, ended up taking 2 of 4 additional trophy fee animals and 1 of 2 bonus animals for lodge meat. Amount of ammo taken was 60 rounds of 375H&H. Used 10 rounds for checking my scope in Zimbabwe 5 rounds upon arrival and another 5 rounds when I had thought I knocked my scope of. Used 2 rounds of the buff and 2 rounds on the hippo. In RSA I used 5 rounds to check my scope, ~14(?) total rounds on PG.

This was a 28 day trip with 20 hunting days, 2 countries.

Fast Forward:

My planned trip in 2025 is for ~35(?) days total / 20-24 hunting days, still in progress. Three different provinces/states in RSA, with 4 different outfitters, for 1 buff, and ~15 +/- PG of various size, 3 weapons: 458WM, 30-06, 22 Hornet.

Ammo break down:

458WM: 20 rounds: 8 to 10 rounds reserved for hunting, rest for fun shoot. Depending on total ammo weight may add 10 more rounds.

30-06: 40 rounds: 30 soft & 10 solid/FMJ

22 Hornet: 50 rounds: 30 HV soft, 10 HV, 10 LV solid/FMJ. May increase the quantity to 60 rounds with an additional 10 solids, 5 each HV & LV. Depending on ammo weight of 11 pounds max.

This may seem like a lot of ammo; but This Is Africa and one of the PHs and I have a fun shoot scheduled. Plus there is always a chance to add opportunity animal(s), especially if they are extra ordinary, or offered the opportunity to hunt bonus animal(s) for lodge meat.

With the 458WM and 30-06 possibly being readily available for purchase if I didn't bring enough isn't a problem. The real problem would be the 22 Hornet, that ammo may not be readily available and I definitely need to coordinate with my various outfitters on the availability for purchase in case I need to purchase this ammo locally.

The Take Away: BE PREPARED!!

Base the quantity of needed ammo one needs to have for a successful and enjoyable hunt for the total number of hunt days allocated for one's trip.

And Remember....This Is Africa....and one may encounter one or more exceptional animals, that may or may not be on their animal(s) of opportunity list(s).

IMHO, Should one only be fully focused on one specific animal species. A preverbial one and done; Just blows my mind. Not a bad thing. But one is in Africa. Take advantage of the opportunities to hunt more animal species within one's budget, while hunting that one designated species. After one's success, then consider a photo safari or other activities after the hunt.

Unless one starts their hunts in RSA, then proceeding to another, or other, countries, in return to country of origin. It's hard to justify weighing a declaried empty ammo case in a checked bag to determine ammo weight departing Africa.

Only if returning to country of origin would one need to declare ammo and/or spent brass as a separate ammo bag.

So I’m leaving for South Africa on my first Safari in a little over 2 weeks. My ammo is slightly under 11 lbs but in lightest locking box it comes at a little under 13lbs. Flying Delta don’t think it’s going to be an issue as they say weight of ammo but I have to fly from Joberg to Port Elizabeth on Air Link and the ammo goes separately from my checked bag. They have a 5kg weight limit including box. Do they weigh it or am I overly concerned? Don’t want to cut back on any ammunition. Thanks in advance
They have always weighed it on all my safaris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrystleEld

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]