Ammo weight question

Assuming it's not a cull hunt, and you're not hunting long range in windy conditions, scaling back a box of 20 on each should put you under the limit. All of my trips to RSA through various connections, Air France was the only one that weighed the ammo box.

Keep it under 11lbs including the case and don't worry about it. I planned on taking 4 boxes of 500's; 1/2 Woodleigh and 1/2 Hornady, solids and softs for each. Way too much but I wanted to take a buffalo with each. That came in at over 11lbs so I simply culled a few from each box 'til it weighed right. Went from 80 to 64. Came home with most of what I took even after sight in, 2 buff and some after hunt celebration with the camp.

How many animals are you planning to shoot that you need 11 lbs of ammo? For my plains game hunt a number of years ago, we shot 13 animals and fired 15 rounds. Those extra 2 rounds were fired in the range when we got into camp. I took 40 rounds, 2 boxes, and could easily have just taken one box. But, I can see why taking two boxes would be desired. I don’t recall what those two boxes weighed but probably well under 5 lbs.
Last year when we went for Buffalo, Qatar made me take the ammunition out of the locked cased and they weighed it separately from the case and then weighed it all together.
I again took 40 rounds of 375 H&H and I think my case and the ammo weighed maybe about 7 lbs if I remember correctly. I shot a total of 6 rounds. 2 on my Buffalo, 2 on my Crocodile and 2 on the range when we arrived in camp. Again, could have easily taken one box of ammo.
So, if you are overweight on your ammo, simply take some out. If you shoot well, you don’t need as much as you might think.
No doubt you are correct two boxes each would be fine. Just old habits of if I have ammo and water everything else is optional.

Assuming it's not a cull hunt, and you're not hunting long range in windy conditions, scaling back a box of 20 on each should put you under the limit. All of my trips to RSA through various connections, Air France was the only one that weighed the ammo box.
Will be taking 12 animals. Hunting Eastern Cape so could experience both longer shots and wind. While I probably don’t need as much ammunition as I was plan on taking not comfortable only taking 20 rounds each.

Those two rifles are so close in performance have you thought about leaving one home?

Are you traveling with someone who is taking the same caliber of rifle that can take a box with them for you?

One other thing, when in the Airlink office or counter tell them that you just have 1 case. A member here happened to mention that he had 2 rifles on our way home 2 years ago when we were paying their fee and got charged double.

If you do take all that ammo just play dumb and don't mention anything about the weight.
No wouldn’t even think of leaving one at home. After breaking a rifle scope on an Elk hunt due to my complete stupidity 25+ years ago, I don’t go on any hunt without a backup rifle. (Left rifle on tailgate and drove off) I know I could borrow a rifle but I’m extremely picky on my rifles. Almost view this as equivalent to borrowing someone’s wife. Might work for some but not for me.

Keep it under 11lbs including the case and don't worry about it. I planned on taking 4 boxes of 500's; 1/2 Woodleigh and 1/2 Hornady, solids and softs for each. Way too much but I wanted to take a buffalo with each. That came in at over 11lbs so I simply culled a few from each box 'til it weighed right. Went from 80 to 64. Came home with most of what I took even after sight in, 2 buff and some after hunt celebration with the camp.
Congratulations on the Buffalo! I’m afraid of what that addiction might do to my wallet.

No wouldn’t even think of leaving one at home. After breaking a rifle scope on an Elk hunt due to my complete stupidity 25+ years ago, I don’t go on any hunt without a backup rifle. (Left rifle on tailgate and drove off) I know I could borrow a rifle but I’m extremely picky on my rifles. Almost view this as equivalent to borrowing someone’s wife. Might work for some but not for me.
BTW this is why I only own Leupold to this day. Sent in the pieces of that scope with a nice note that said I broke this, can you do anything. Got a nice note back apologizing that it was too damaged to repair but here was a new replacement scope. Since then I have bought at least a dozen Leupold scopes not to mention, rangefinders and binoculars.

My first safari I took 60 rounds for 1 rifle and shot 8 animals with 20 rounds which included 3 at the range and a number of shots at a gemsbok that I just as soon forget.

My last safari I took 60 round again for 1 rifle and shot 13 animals with 25 rounds.

All this was on the Eastern Cape just north of Port Elizabeth. My longest and most shots was at a ostrich at 400 yards. But most of my shots were within 200 yards.

My first safari I took 60 rounds for 1 rifle and shot 8 animals with 20 rounds which included 3 at the range and a number of shots at a gemsbok that I just as soon forget.

My last safari I took 60 round again for 1 rifle and shot 13 animals with 25 rounds.

All this was on the Eastern Cape just north of Port Elizabeth. My longest and most shots was at an ostrich at 400 yards. But most of my shots were within 200 yards.
Sounds like I’m going to be hunting the same area. Frontier Safari’s by any chance?

I agree with the other posters. I consider myself an average shot on my best day. Including sighting in for me and my son using the same rifle, on my first trip we used about 3/4 box for 9 animals and on the second trip about 1/2 a box for 5 animals. Unless you are taking extra to give to your PH as a gift, I would not take that much.

Will be taking 12 animals. Hunting Eastern Cape so could experience both longer shots and wind. While I probably don’t need as much ammunition as I was plan on taking not comfortable only taking 20 rounds each.
I meant just leave one box of each home. That'd still leave you with 100 rounds, plenty of cushion for 12 PG. Haven't hunted Frontier but some venues limit first timers on shot distances.
Agree on two rifles. Last year I had a trigger go south and fortunately my outfitter had a spare.

I meant just leave one box of each home. That'd still leave you with 100 rounds, plenty of cushion for 12 PG. Haven't hunted Frontier but some venues limit first timers on shot distances.
Agree on two rifles. Last year I had a trigger go south and fortunately my outfitter had a spare
That makes sense. I would prefer to get close but have the ability to reach out if needed.

See link below for what United.com publishes (whom I will be flying with later this summer to South Africa). My interpretation what they publish is weight of ammo. Not weight of ammo in box and or then locked carry case....seems straight forward and yet confusing.

It would seem to me United publishes us to weigh ammo not any type of casing/boxes.

Am I all wet on this one?

See link below for what United.com publishes (whom I will be flying with later this summer to South Africa). My interpretation what they publish is weight of ammo. Not weight of ammo in box and or then locked carry case....seems straight forward and yet confusing.

It would seem to me United publishes us to weigh ammo not any type of casing/boxes.

Am I all wet on this one?

Yes. Same for Delta. The challenge is flying in South Africa Air Link only gives 5kg including box. I have reduced ammo load to sixty 300 win mag and fifty 7mm Rem mag. Now, box, lock, extra lock and ammo come in under 5kg so one less thing to worry about.

Yes. Same for Delta. The challenge is flying in South Africa Air Link only gives 5kg including box. I have reduced ammo load to sixty 300 win mag and fifty 7mm Rem mag. Now, box, lock, extra lock and ammo come in under 5kg so one less thing to worry about.
Let us know if you learn anything new....thx

Make sure it’s u der the weight limit with the case. Our ammo did not get weighed on our trip last year to Zimbabwe.

It did get weighed on the way home even after shooting some ammo my friends ammo was too heavy when weighed with the case. The police got envolved although they didn’t give us any hassle. They simply didn’t know what to do with the extra as we couldn’t just throw it in the trash and they didn’t want to be responsible for it. It was obvious they had never dealt with this before. Finally our handler the ph had paid to walk us through customs and take care of us called the ph and worked it out with the police to leave it with them and his wife would come down and pick it up as he was able to have ammo in Zimbabwe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shdssdgd

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]