Ammo box on Safair airlines

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Flew Safair from Jburg to PE recently. My wife and I both hunt. This was our third trip on this route second on Safair. When we arrived at Jburg from States we put our ammo in a locked box to go to PE. We were given a hastily that our ammo weighed to much. I explained that we had 4 rifles 2 my wife and 2 mine so the ammo was for both of us. He said we needed 2 boxes for ammo because there was 2 hunters. We got through. We had not had an issue on the other trips. Just thought I would post this to maybe save someone some hassle. When we come back not sure what I will do,but will probably not fly Safair. Taking 2 boxes will make our luggage to heavy on the Delta flight. May try to get ammo under 11 pounds for both of us by only taking 2 different calibers instead of 3. Depending on what is on the list.

Depends who you get on what day I guess. Cheers.

So, how much did your ammo weigh?

For one person it doesn't matter if you are carrying ammo for one, two, three, or a dozen other hunters. The regulations say 11 lbs or 5 kg per ticketed passenger, but it needs to be figured separately.

Each indiviual case of ammo can't weigh more than 5kg including the case regardless of number of hunters/passengers.

Flew Safair from Jburg to PE recently. My wife and I both hunt. This was our third trip on this route second on Safair. When we arrived at Jburg from States we put our ammo in a locked box to go to PE. We were given a hastily that our ammo weighed to much. I explained that we had 4 rifles 2 my wife and 2 mine so the ammo was for both of us. He said we needed 2 boxes for ammo because there was 2 hunters. We got through. We had not had an issue on the other trips. Just thought I would post this to maybe save someone some hassle. When we come back not sure what I will do,but will probably not fly Safair. Taking 2 boxes will make our luggage to heavy on the Delta flight. May try to get ammo under 11 pounds for both of us by only taking 2 different calibers instead of 3. Depending on what is on the list.

Depends who you get on what day I guess. Cheers.
Here is one for you. Just returned from another trip to Namibia. Getting there , no problem. Going home is when Airlink threw a wrench in the works. Had our ammo boxes as per regulation in our checked baggage. Airlink had us pull our ammo boxes out then charged us for extra baggage. 2 of our hunters were carrying 2 rifles due to juvenile children hunters. Airlink then charged them baggage fees for each rifle even though they were in same case. In the future I'll fly Lufthansa or Ethiopian as they have a direct flight into Windhoek and I won't have to deal with Airlink. I really hope Qatar Airways will reinstate their direct flight into Windhoek in the future.

ammo boxes do not get charged for on Airlink unless they just started and yes you have to pay a handling fee per rifle even in the same case, makes no sense just a way to get more out of you

ammo boxes do not get charged for on Airlink unless they just started and yes you have to pay a handling fee per rifle even in the same case, makes no sense just a way to get more out of you
Well sir, as of 6 weeks ago they sure as hell do now charge you for your ammo box as a separate piece of luggage.

Jamie, you will need to get ammo under 11 lbs per box. When leaving here I can tuck my ammo box inside checked bag after the paperwork is done. Good to go till I get to Joberg. Then ammo must be pulled out and checked by police. Then it must be checked separately and locked for connecting flight to Port Elizabeth, either Airlink or Safair. Coming back it must be checked separately until I get to Pearson in Toronto. After customs inspection there, it gets tucked back into my checked bag, mostly to have one less item to get lost.

I don't recall paying an extra a charge for extra bag when ammo is separate. I figure that's covered in firearms handling charge?

Separate question for those of you who would know: can you take ammo if not bringing a rifle?

I plan to hire a rifle from outfitter, but would like to take premium bullets (to ensure I know what type of ammo I'll use) and can either leave leftovers or bring it back,

One difference possibly is I've always paid extra to have a "helper" get me through Joberg airport.

Separate question for those of you who would know: can you take ammo if not bringing a rifle?

I plan to hire a rifle from outfitter, but would like to take premium bullets (to ensure I know what type of ammo I'll use) and can either leave leftovers or bring it back,
No, I don’t think you can bring ammo in without bringing a rifle of the same caliber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XiomaraEdm

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe