Allure of the Ruger No1

If anyone sorta knows ..

With exception of the 450/400, did all the No.1's Have the (D Heavy Barrel) 375, 416, 458WM & Lott?

Thanks, if you can.

Doesn't quite answer your question, but this website has a lot of info on the No 1.

Attachments

• Collecting No. 1s – Classic Sporting Arms.pdf
    457 KB · Views: 6
I had one custom rebarreled(very professionally) in .454 Casull. When i sold it on GB a couple years back folks were accusing me of selling a knock-off because (at least at that time) Ruger has never released that chambering. Fantastic brush gun usable to ~100 yds. Devestating on hogs at typical FL distances. Kinda sorry i sold it. Shot Colt .45 for cheap(er) practice.

Finally got a chance to clean my 458WM last night, which of course, involved a full disassembly/reassembly. Despite using the reference videos online, it was a struggle. The hammer strut spring assembly did not come out as easily as the videos on YouTube from Ruger. I used a finishing nail and even following the video the assembly was a bear to get out. I am thinking maybe either the heavier magnum calibers have a heavier spring or a heavier one was installed on mine?

Are you guys having the same issue?

For rarity. Try to find a Ruger 1 in blue and walnut. In .450 bushmaster caliber.

You will find stainless and laminated stock only.

Good luck finding a Blued one with walnut stock. There were 50 total made and only a couple made it out to market.

I bought one unfired. And sold it to a freind.

Finally got a chance to clean my 458WM last night, which of course, involved a full disassembly/reassembly. Despite using the reference videos online, it was a struggle. The hammer strut spring assembly did not come out as easily as the videos on YouTube from Ruger. I used a finishing nail and even following the video the assembly was a bear to get out. I am thinking maybe either the heavier magnum calibers have a heavier spring or a heavier one was installed on mine?

Are you guys having the same issue?
I applauded you for your skills and independence. I have been indoctrinated into the camp that anything beyond field strip and basic cleaning goes to a gunsmith (NOT an AR parts assembler).
Besides, i’d probably screw it up.

I applauded you for your skills and independence. I have been indoctrinated into the camp that anything beyond field strip and basic cleaning goes to a gunsmith (NOT an AR parts assembler).
Besides, i’d probably screw it up.

Well, you actually are supposed to strip the No 1's down even just to clean. It's tough to clean with the lever down, exposing the breech. Everything but the trigger and ejector spring assembly needs (or at least should be) taken down for cleaning.

The videos online make it look just a tad too easy.

For rarity. Try to find a Ruger 1 in blue and walnut. In .450 bushmaster caliber.

You will find stainless and laminated stock only.

Good luck finding a Blued one with walnut stock. There were 50 total made and only a couple made it out to market.

I bought one unfired. And sold it to a freind.

heres one in 460 S&W thats likely going to go pretty well below typical #1 prices in a few hours.. (not a 450 bushy.. but roughly the same horsepower and similar concept in a rifle..)..

Attachments

• Ruger Rifle | Live and Online Auctions on HiBid.com.pdf
    203.7 KB · Views: 1
IMG_5711.JPG

One of my biggest regrets was selling my Ruger No 1 in 450/400 NE 3". A pleasure to shoot and to look at and wicked accurate with very manageable recoil.

Well, I didn’t. I have pros do that, my lawn, my roof, my car…. give me a break.

Not ragging on you. It's just hard to clean the bore without breaking it down. You probably could but I can't seeing you being able to lock it in a rest to push patches and a brush through.

I'm glad I did it because the gun was definitely used and was filthy. I spent probably an hour cleaning and then another hour reassembling.

But once again, if you do decide to do it, the videos online make it look way too easy.

Back out to the bench. 2 shots at 100 with the peep, one shot at 200 with the scope. I’m loving this rifle.

Image1719438437.409838.jpg

Image1719438447.329571.jpg

Image1719438462.085878.jpg

Now I just need to find a 450/400 with a D profile barrel and have Roger work his magic on it to make it a pair!

If anyone sorta knows ..

With exception of the 450/400, did all the No.1's Have the (D Heavy Barrel) 375, 416, 458WM & Lott?

Thanks, if you can.
No. The .375 H&H was not a D weight. If it was, then what sewer pipe was my Lott made out of?

FB_IMG_1624431970667.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanceeHint

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.