ALERT: Limpopo, Botswana on high alert as both issue Malaria warning

In an open vehicle at 55-60 degrees, this American gets plenty cold. I'd recommend a light jacket, and even some camp gloves. As for one pair of pants, no. You need at least two to alternate. Why are Larium and Malarone being discussed more than Doxycyline, as it is likely to have fewer side effects?

................ Why are Larium and Malarone being discussed more than Doxycyline, as it is likely to have fewer side effects?

Recommendations for drugs to prevent malaria differ by country of travel and can be found in the country-specific tables of the Yellow Book.

If you look at the CDC website you will note the straight up comparison and see why they are being discussed.
https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/drugs.html

Malarone:
Very well tolerated medicine – side effects uncommon

It is best to go to your travel nurse as they through the who will know the best profalactice to take.Do not self medicate.

I am traveling to SA to hunt with Limcroma in mid August, do you think there will be any risk for malaria then? Also are there many ticks in the area and is tick bite fever a concern that time of year?

Brickburn, I could see an advantage to doxycycline since it is used for both malaria and tick bite fever.

I must say that I have emailed Limcroma twice regarding these questions (and others) and have received no response. They were very good at responding previously but have not been responding since I paid my deposit. I have heard nothing but good things about them but am disappointed in the communication.

I am traveling to SA to hunt with Limcroma in mid August, do you think there will be any risk for malaria then? Also are there many ticks in the area and is tick bite fever a concern that time of year?

Brickburn, I could see an advantage to doxycycline since it is used for both malaria and tick bite fever.

I must say that I have emailed Limcroma twice regarding these questions (and others) and have received no response. They were very good at responding previously but have not been responding since I paid my deposit. I have heard nothing but good things about them but am disappointed in the communication.

Not sure who you were in contact with, but Dan (@firehuntfish on AH) has been great to get back to me as well as Jeff (he's out of Dallas). I emailed Hannes about my leg a couple weeks ago and never heard anything back either. I'm guessing he's in the field or something. I emailed Dan when this was first started, and the original word back was they didn't think it would be an issue after June. Dan just came back from a trip there, so he might have something to add.

Agreed, plus it has some antibiotic properties in case you ingest something not good or are in or around water a lot

Brickburn, I could see an advantage to doxycycline since it is used for both malaria and tick bite fever..........

It is hunting season, so do give folks a bit of a break in replying.

Mozzies:
I don't know the property you are hunting and its location. There are endemic areas though.
Your medical risk is the biggest question.

August is winter time and from my experience I have seen very few Mozzies in that month where ever I have been. Saw more Tsteste flies than them.

Ticks:
I prefer to use some spray on my cloths and boots to keep the ticks off vs medicating myself beforehand.
Ticks are around. Some places have much higher populations than others.
I have Doxycycline along in case now.

Not sure who you were in contact with, but Dan (@firehuntfish on AH) has been great to get back to me as well as Jeff (he's out of Dallas). I emailed Hannes about my leg a couple weeks ago and never heard anything back either. I'm guessing he's in the field or something. I emailed Dan when this was first started, and the original word back was they didn't think it would be an issue after June. Dan just came back from a trip there, so he might have something to add.
Yes, I have been emailing Hannes as well. I will contact Dan for more info.

I would seriously review all about LARIAM before using it..in our experiences, it is a NO GO with some horrible side effects!!

Doxycycline makes me so sensitive to the sun that I can't take it when I'm going to be in the field all day every day. Malarone worked well for me this year with no noticeable side effects.

So far as the packing list goes, I usually take two pairs of pants that work for hunting and dinner attire. Two shirts for hunting and two for dinner/travel. Three X socks, underwear, handkerchief, undershirts, and one wind proof jacket. The field gear is up to you.

Hello @Mike B & @IA Monsterbuck ,

This is Dan replying.... It has been a very busy season so far, although that is never an excuse not to be able to reach on of us. I can assure you that I will always reply to any inquiry within 24 hours if I am still drawing breath... The best way to reach me fast is via email or text. A pm here would also work. ;) Hannes is currently on an extended Big 5 hunt spanning 3 countries, and was also blessed a couple of weeks ago with the birth of a new baby girl! Mom, Dad and the new baby are all doing well! As Brickburn was kind enough to mention, please be patient if you need to reach Hannes personally. May-September is the peak of season for most outfitters in Africa. They are hunting every day...

As far as the malaria report for our area of the Limpopo, it is true that there were several reported cases in parts of RSA early in the Fall, occurring in areas that are not traditionally malaria-prone areas. Our part of the Limpopo extending up through Botswana and into the Caprivi strip of Namibia had a very wet Fall season with higher than normal rainfall amounts. It's great for the farmers, animals & plants, but unfortunately, it's also great for mosquito breeding.

I was there in the last week of April, into early May and there were no bugs of any kind to speak of. The weather had resumed to it's normal late Fall pattern and the cool, dry weather had eradicated the bugs by then. This winter has been cool, dry and virtually rain-free as normal, and I doubt you will encounter any insects whatsoever until the rains begin again in late October.

We took Malarone as a precaution in part because we were continuing up to the Caprivi in Namibia after our hunt at Limcroma. There were PLENTY of mosquitoes around in the evenings on the Zambezi, so I think it was a good idea. However, if you are not traveling anywhere outside the Limpopo, I would not be concerned about mosquitoes or malaria as of now. That said, if you are one of those folks that would rather be safe than sorry, it's never a bad idea to consider a malaria prophylactic. Malarone is the prophylactic of choice for anti-malarial drugs. It's one pill a day everyday, and then 7 days after you leave the malaria-prone area. We had no side effects to speak of. However, always consult with your physician on the best medication for you. Malarone may not be the best choice if you have pre-existing health issues or taking other meds...

We also always spray our hunting gear with Permethrin as a precaution against both ticks & mosquitoes, and it works great..... Never saw a tick during the trip. The main advantages to Permethrin is that it has no odor, and will last through several washes... But, ticks are few and far between anyway in the dry months. Anything with DEET will also work well for ticks.

I use Malarone every time I travel to a malaria risk country, and it has never given me side effects. Larium is horrible, and I will never touch that stuff again (unless I feel like going crazy).

All this talk about Malaria after a heavy rain season is good......but with the bush being so lush from the rains, Tick-bite fever is probably a bigger concern this year. A hunting buddy of mine has got it the last 2 years in Limpopo. A guy I met in camp last year at Cruiser Safaris contracted it on his last two visits to the area (Lephalale). Tick-bite fever isn't as dangerous as malaria, but suffering from it doesn't look like fun either.

I treat ALL of my clothing with Permethrin, even my shoes and socks. Permethrin WORKS. I also bring a bottle of 100% DEET for my arms and legs in warmer weather. You would be wise to do the same.

Yeah, I got tick fever after my first trip (to KZN) and had to go through courses of treatment with two different antibiotics to get rid of it. That's why I would lean toward Doxycycline.

I just tried to contact Marius to see if I need to get Malarone for my hunt in Limpopo in August..

This is Dan replying.... It has been a very busy season so far, although that is never an excuse not to be able to reach on of us. I can assure you that I will always reply to any inquiry within 24 hours if I am still drawing breath... The best way to reach me fast is via email or text. A pm here would also work. ;) Hannes is currently on an extended Big 5 hunt spanning 3 countries, and was also blessed a couple of weeks ago with the birth of a new baby girl! Mom, Dad and the new baby are all doing well! As Brickburn was kind enough to mention, please be patient if you need to reach Hannes personally. May-September is the peak of season for most outfitters in Africa. They are hunting every day...

As far as the malaria report for our area of the Limpopo, it is true that there were several reported cases in parts of RSA early in the Fall, occurring in areas that are not traditionally malaria-prone areas. Our part of the Limpopo extending up through Botswana and into the Caprivi strip of Namibia had a very wet Fall season with higher than normal rainfall amounts. It's great for the farmers, animals & plants, but unfortunately, it's also great for mosquito breeding.

I was there in the last week of April, into early May and there were no bugs of any kind to speak of. The weather had resumed to it's normal late Fall pattern and the cool, dry weather had eradicated the bugs by then. This winter has been cool, dry and virtually rain-free as normal, and I doubt you will encounter any insects whatsoever until the rains begin again in late October.

We took Malarone as a precaution in part because we were continuing up to the Caprivi in Namibia after our hunt at Limcroma. There were PLENTY of mosquitoes around in the evenings on the Zambezi, so I think it was a good idea. However, if you are not traveling anywhere outside the Limpopo, I would not be concerned about mosquitoes or malaria as of now. That said, if you are one of those folks that would rather be safe than sorry, it's never a bad idea to consider a malaria prophylactic. Malarone is the prophylactic of choice for anti-malarial drugs. It's one pill a day everyday, and then 7 days after you leave the malaria-prone area. We had no side effects to speak of. However, always consult with your physician on the best medication for you. Malarone may not be the best choice if you have pre-existing health issues or taking other meds...

We also always spray our hunting gear with Permethrin as a precaution against both ticks & mosquitoes, and it works great..... Never saw a tick during the trip. The main advantages to Permethrin is that it has no odor, and will last through several washes... But, ticks are few and far between anyway in the dry months. Anything with DEET will also work well for ticks.

Thanks Dan! I figured he was out hunting and wasn't worried about it, especially since it was more me just giving him a heads up. But I appreciate the update. Congrats to Hannes and family! New kids are great fun (I have 4 kids from 9 to almost 2)! Can't wait to get to camp in 84 days!

I have a Malarone prescription for my wife and myself, I was waiting to fill it closer to going and seeing what the situation was. My wife is a bit of a worrier so I wouldn't be surprised if we take it just for "safety"

Thanks Dan. Pm me your email and phone number..

@IA Monsterbuck

I sent you my contact info via PM... Also, it's always listed at the bottom of our signature page on every Limcroma post in case you need to find it in the future... (y)

Plus +++++ on thumbs down to Larium! Rarely recommended anymore. Used it once many years ago, never again. Psychotic events are common and very unnerving. Malarone is a better choice but expensive. Taking the (cheap!) doxy next month to Namibia though likely not needed, think I will do what I did last time I was there, start off taking the pills and get the lay of the land and weather on the ground and decide whether to continue. Last time we all quit after a couple of days, no skeeters around at all. Its also the main treatment for tick bite fever as noted. I remember my PH in Zim several years ago just scoffing at the idea of doxy for malaria, said our CDC didn't know its butt from a fence post! I politely disagreed with his assessment.

Good info. We'll be taking Malarone. My wife is a doctor and even she said we should talk to another doctor who specializes in African travel-related medicine. He agreed that Malarone was best for us. (It IS expensive, though.)
I'll also be treating our clothes with permethrin (thanks for the heads-up on that one). Is it legal to take some with us on our checked baggage? We'll be meeting family from the USA in South Africa and would like to treat their clothes, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelDak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?