Alaskan that hates the heat

JeeperCreeper

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've read a ton on this site about cartridges and rifle designs (I'm a gun nut) and decided I should finally join. Honestly, really hoping to that advantage of the classifieds hopefully. I'm also active on The High Road and a few other forums using the same handle.

Regardless, I moved to Alaska 5 years ago and now starting a small family, so my dream of an African safari is postponed.

However, I have been taking advantage of Alaskan safaris with getting lucky the last two years with nice moose.

Currently using a Ruger 338 RCM. Hoping to use my Steyr in 308 soon. Searching for a 9.3x62 for bears.

Anyways, here's a pic for attention.

Thanks for having me and I love reading the advice on here.
Screenshot_20240820-000203.png

Welcome to AH JeeperCreeper! Nice to have you join the posting side.

Welkom! Some nice Moose. Enjoy the Forum

Good day! Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH.

Might consider a .375 caliber instead of the 9.3 if you are considering hunting Africa in the future. Very little ballistic difference, but 375’s are legal for DG in all countries. 9.3 is allowed in some, but not all.

Hello and welcome!

I’d also consider a 375 for Alaska bears. The 375 H&H or Ruger will do the job and you should not have any issues finding ammo. That said plenty of bears in Alaska have been killed with 30 and 338 cal rifles.

Welcome aboard @JeeperCreeper. And good luck with upcoming moose season!!

:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH from an Arizonan that hates the heat.....you're in better shape than me. I would second the suggestion on a .375HH. The 9.3s have their place, but fewer in comparison when talking Africa.

Welcome to AH.
Definitely 375 H&H...

Welcome to AH! Glad you joined our community.

Welcome! Enjoy the site! If you are interested in our products please do not hesitate to contact us.

Welcome, you'll make it to Africa, have faith.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenC

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with