AirTags working

Pablo

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI, Puro Pinche Low Fence Hunting
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Sitting at the San Antone airport on the first leg to JNB. Had to check where our stuff is. So far so good.
IMG_0418.png

Yep, I've tested ours out locally when flying state to state and so far have been happy with the results. About a month left before we fly over and looking forward to seeing how well they work on the trip.

Mine worked great last year when I went to RSA on a hunt. Very reassuring. They will be in everything I travel with going forward.

We have used ours now 3 times. Extra confidence. And I knew immediately on arriving in Louisville last year our guns were still in Houston, thanks United!

Do you know that you can check with the gate agent to make sure that your bags are on the plane.

That's all we did before all this fancy tracking stuff.

Have been using them for years for travel and they can work great.

- consider new batteries in high value item tags each trip. Energizer 2032 are best in the US

- consider two per case. The guy smart enough to look usually stops at one…

I wondered about the AirTag chirping every time my gun case is opened. Apparently this is because my daughter who has the iPhone lives down the street. There is a way to disable the speaker inside the AirTag. Look for the YouTube video.

Puro Pinche South Africa Hunting !!

Do you know that you can check with the gate agent to make sure that your bags are on the plane.

That's all we did before all this fancy tracking stuff.
Sure. And the gate agents have time to bother with that when trying to find late passengers, filling empty seats with standby, etc., etc. Or should they just tell you what you want to hear and get you out of the way and on board? Maybe first class might get their attention, the unwashed masses probably not so much.

Sure. And the gate agents have time to bother with that when trying to find late passengers, filling empty seats with standby, etc., etc. Or should they just tell you what you want to hear and get you out of the way and on board? Maybe first class might get their attention, the unwashed masses probably not so much.

Instead of sitting on the bench a half hour before boarding playing on your phone go ask them when they are not busy.

I'm not saying to do it as you are getting onto the plane. Odds are your luggage was loaded before you even got to the gate.

Instead of sitting on the bench a half hour before boarding playing on your phone go ask them when they are not busy.

I'm not saying to do it as you are getting onto the plane. Odds are your luggage was loaded before you even got to the gate.
Most of the time I can see and feel luggage being loaded in the belly while I'm sitting in the plane.

Here's what my AirTag showed my daughter when I was sitting at the gate in Frankfurt. Case is at the gate so it's going to be loaded. Well, you'd think so anyway. She sent me a similar image of case at the gate when I was in the plane before takeoff in Toronto for last leg home. But once airborne, phones are shut off and the AirTag has no way to communicate. Didn't find out till I landed here that my gun case was taken back into the Toronto airport just before plane left the terminal. It came in on a late flight that evening.
IMG_0977.jpg

Most of the time I can see and feel luggage being loaded in the belly while I'm sitting in the plane.
An example: On Thanksgiving weekend 2010 my wife was fatally injured in a car accident near Uxbridge while visiting family. I was ill here at home in NW Ontario. Very ill. They were trying to keep her alive at Toronto hospital. All flights were of course booked up. I drove to the airport and was tearfully trying to beg someone to sell their ticket. Westjet ticket agent came and told me to go sit by the stairs. "You WILL be on that flight!" She found someone who gave up her seat. I made it in time to take my wife off life support just before midnight. Then I used her ticket to fly back two days later. When I checked in I was told there was a seat change. I was now sitting in the front row right side next to window. I boarded and some guy was in the seat. He was on the wrong side and asked if it was okay if we could just change seats. Sure. Why not. But no! The flight attendant standing at the doorway said "Mr. C__ MUST sit in that seat!" Well, okay then. We both shrugged. After a bit she came and sat next to me: "Look out the window." They were loading my wife's cardboard coffin right below. "We got you two seated together as close as possible." Needless to say I now fly Westjet any time I can.

The folks at Delta took no issue with looking it up for and my friend Kevin. Of course they weren't overrun with people at the time either.

I used AirTags on my recent trip to Mozambique. They worked well mostly. However, if you have a metallic gun case it appears that causes signals to be attenuated significantly. This requires a phone to be a bit closer and also perhaps a little longer to the case.

At times it appeared the gun case was not moving with the other pieces and had me stressed. The one time it was right, the ammo box was also left behind (at Tambo when we flew to Pemba btw).

I used AirTags on my recent trip to Mozambique. They worked well mostly. However, if you have a metallic gun case it appears that causes signals to be attenuated significantly. This requires a phone to be a bit closer and also perhaps a little longer to the case.

At times it appeared the gun case was not moving with the other pieces and had me stressed. The one time it was right, the ammo box was also left behind (at Tambo when we flew to Pemba btw).

I saw somewhere there one guy had made a metal holder that screwed on the the outside of the metal case. Said it worked perfectly.

Knowing where it is is one thing. Getting them to load it on the plane is another.

On my last trip to Namibia it was cold..... very cold. Before we left our PHs contacted us to tell us to bring coats. During the overnight in Johannesburg, I sat around waiting for our one and only checked bag..... with the coats in it, of course. The kind Delta luggage folks located it, showed it to me through the outside door, and told me it would be automatically loaded on the AM flight to Windhoek.

Next day..... of course, no bag, as it was still somewhere in the bowels of Tambo. We went shopping for coats. They were OK, but not as warm as the layers we had packed. We scraped frost off the cruiser seats each morning before setting out. Brrrrrr!

We were finally able to retrieve it 4 days later after Windhoek airport employees were kind enough to go on a hunt for it. Good thing it's a small airport.

Going home, the JNB-ATL flight was cancelled. They rebooked us through Brazil. On the LATAM flight, the flight attendant asked to see my luggage tag before we pushed back. That's not a good sign! He assured me there was no problem. He was wrong. 4 days later, and many odd journeys over 3 continents, it was delivered to my home in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryCrutc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?