Airlink vs. CemAir Pty Ltd for in-country air travel in RSA?

towserthemouser

AH member
Reaction score
Seeking advice/recommendations for regional carriers in South Africa. Traveling with rifle and ammo of course. The prices are the same. The CemAir connections are perhaps slightly better (arriving 45 minutes earlier).

Is there any reason to choose one over the other? I'm particularly interested in the traveling-with-firearms angle, as well as weight allowances, etc. Also reliability, on-time departures, flight cancellations would be a factor.

Does anyone have advice?

I havent flown CemAir, but did fly Airlink last year in RSA.. was a decent jet, flights left and arrived on times (both directions).. flight crew seemed squared away, etc..etc.. Id fly with them again..

I've flown airlink--no problems. I agree with MDWest!

Never heard of CemAir. Are they new. I have flown AirLink and Safair regionally in South Africa no issues with guns.

I also flew Airlink to the EC and had no issues. I thought they were the only carrier within SA that you could fly with rifles & ammo. Make sure you check with them.

I flew AirLink with checked firearms in June. Other than having to pay a special handing fee of about $30 per rifle each way, it was fine. The cabin crew was good, they offered a light meal and drink, etc.

I don't know anything about CemAir. I would say that TravelExpress booking me on AirLink says about everything you need to know.

MY SON AND HIS HAVE MADE A COUPLE FLIGHTS ON SAFAIR OVER THE LAST WEEK OR SO. I PREPAID 1,000 RAND PER LEG FOR RIFLE TRANSPORT ONLINE WHEN I BOOKED THEIR FLIGHTS. NO PROBLEMS.

Seeking advice/recommendations for regional carriers in South Africa. Traveling with rifle and ammo of course. The prices are the same. The CemAir connections are perhaps slightly better (arriving 45 minutes earlier).

Is there any reason to choose one over the other? I'm particularly interested in the traveling-with-firearms angle, as well as weight allowances, etc. Also reliability, on-time departures, flight cancellations would be a factor.

Does anyone have advice?
Don’t know anyone but Airlink who I highly recommend given how many times I have used them. Never a problem, good flights even a meal included

I’ve flown Airlink two times with firearms and several times without firearms. The last time was a was quite eventful. They could not find the firearm in their reservation system and had to show them the email with there logo on it that it was entered. Paying the fee each time at the business office at the airport was not very efficient but easy enough. The return flight back to RSA failing to tell Qatar that I had a firearm checked through to DFW. Qatar took care of that problem in the lounge while a waited. The flights themselves were on time and efficient.

Its like this :
Airlink you get your luggage and flights are on time( for most part)
Cemair same experience just that there is high % chance you wont see your luggage till the next day, happens all the time with them

I flew AirLink with checked firearms in June. Other than having to pay a special handing fee of about $30 per rifle each way, it was fine. The cabin crew was good, they offered a light meal and drink, etc.

I don't know anything about CemAir. I would say that TravelExpress booking me on AirLink says about everything you need to know.
Thirty bucks is peanuts! Check out Lufthansa and British Airways gun handling fees. Oof-tah!! +$200!

I also flew Airlink to the EC and had no issues. I thought they were the only carrier within SA that you could fly with rifles & ammo. Make sure you check with them.
I've flown Air Link numerous times (inside and outside of RSA) and my understanding was only they could carry guns. Maybe there is another carrier but I think Air Link is the most used by hunters for commercial flights.

IMG_7548.jpeg
@Jason Miller They must have been out of their usual in-flight snack the day you got Krispy Kreme :ROFLMAO:

yea...I skip that one...they should pass around the biltong!

Never flown Cemair but have no complaints about Airlink. Decent Embrair aircraft. Good crews. Joburg to PE, you actually get a sandwich and a beer or glass of wine. Try getting that with a basic ticket in the States on a hour and twenty minute flight.

To echo what other have said.

The last that I heard was that Airlink was the only airline in South Africa permitted to carry firearms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubrin023

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?