Airfare rates

btheis13

AH senior member
Reaction score
I've done alot of searching previous posts and I've never seen anyone mention what they paid for their airfare. I think it would be very beneficial for planning to know what a good rate, average rate and expensive rate is. I know it varies alot, but let's see how much.

Please comment with the following flight details:
1. Origin and final destination airports
2. Airline
3. Fare class
4. Price paid

For instance ord to jnb on delta economy for $2050/pp.

This was all over the place nearly daily when I was looking at flights last year but I’ll play.

1. PHX- JNB (ended up with PHX- LHR- JNB)
2. British Airways. They just plain had the best prices.
3. Economy class
4. $6863.80 total for Family of four. So $1715.95 per person after taxes and all the other stuff.

June 2024 £1044 each , return,
London Heathrow to East London , South Africa , via Joberg. Rifles and ammo were additionally cost on top, flew with British Airways. Economy seats.

I've done alot of searching previous posts and I've never seen anyone mention what they paid for their airfare. I think it would be very beneficial for planning to know what a good rate, average rate and expensive rate is. I know it varies alot, but let's see how much.

Please comment with the following flight details:
1. Origin and final destination airports
2. Airline
3. Fare class
4. Price paid

For instance ord to jnb on delta economy for $2050/pp.
In April Delta direct from Atlanta to JNB with return Coach $1,823 all in taxes etc

june 2023,
reagan to heathrow to johannesberg, same return. Did heathrow with a 10 hour lay over to walk around london, no rifles.
economy, 1750ish, per person, cant remember the exact.
British airways

Sept 23, $4922 Business DFW/DOH/JNB/NLA, Qatar

Sept 24, $1974 Premium Eco AUS/LHR/LJU, BA

Here are the ones I could find receipts for. There’s a bunch of internal African flights as well to/from JNB

May 2021 - $1384 Prem Economy IAH/DOH/JNB on Qatar

June 2022 - $960 Economy DFW/ATL/JNB and JNB/DXB/DFW on Delta/Emirates (Status Upgrade to Comfort+)

July 2022 - $1020 Economy DFW/DOH/WDH on Qatar

May 2023 - $1036 Prem Economy IAH to Jburg on British Airways (upgraded to Business with status and systemwide upgrades)

November 2023 - $1847 Prem Economy DFW/DOH/LUN/HRE (avois upgrade to Q-Suite one way) on Qatar

July 24, Delta from San Antonio to Atlanta to Joburg and return. Cattle class with exit row price increase. $2,345

Depends on your tolerance for long vs short itinerary too. For years I’ve seen dudes take these long itineraries to save money and particularly Business/first class. These 10 hour layovers… F that IMO
The shortest direct routes are simple…
Delta ATL to JNB. For years it was about $1,750. It’s now usually like $2,000 or $2,300ish
United direct from Newark to JNB or United from DC to Capetown
These are all 16 hour direct flights and are roughly $2k
There are no magic deals. Variable costs are picking your seats (especially United)
Some major market departures seem to have better Business class deals sometime like Dallas or Chicago

This varies widely as you mentioned-premium months and how quickly flights are filling dictate costs. This is why I let a travel agent sit and stare at the computer screen for me

Depends on your tolerance for long vs short itinerary too. For years I’ve seen dudes take these long itineraries to save money and particularly Business/first class. These 10 hour layovers… F that IMO
The shortest direct routes are simple…
Delta ATL to JNB. For years it was about $1,750. It’s now usually like $2,000 or $2,300ish
United direct from Newark to JNB or United from DC to Capetown
These are all 16 hour direct flights and are roughly $2k
There are no magic deals. Variable costs are picking your seats (especially United)
Some major market departures seem to have better Business class deals sometime like Dallas or Chicago
I am usually going somewhere else and Johannesburg is a layover. Business class on Qatar with a layover in Doha is at least as comfortable and far less frustrating than the bag drag at Tambo and overnight at City Lodge or wherever. And the wine is exceptional. :cool:

JUNE-JULY 2024
DELTA PREMIUM SELECT
TPA-ATL-CPT RETURN JNB-ATL-TPA
4 TICKETS @ $2875 EACH BOUGHT AS SOON AS THEY CAME ONLINE

I am usually going somewhere else and Johannesburg is a layover. Business class on Qatar with a layover in Doha is at least as comfortable and far less frustrating than the bag drag at Tambo and overnight at City Lodge or wherever. And the wine is exceptional. :cool:
I bet you can sleep on planes too lol..
Man I wish I could. It would change my perspective. I like to get to Joberg and go sleep or try to anyway. Lots of guys go through Doha like you and love it. For the price I need to try it once as the business class is much more reasonable

I bet you can sleep on planes too lol..
Man I wish I could. It would change my perspective. I like to get to Joberg and go sleep or try to anyway. Lots of guys go through Doha like you and love it. For the price I need to try it once as the business class is much more reasonable
A lay flat seat and a real pillow makes all the difference.

I just booked last Friday (8/9/24) for my safari next summer 2025:

1. Outgoing: Minneapolis/St. Paul - Atlanta - Johannesburg
Return: Johannesburg - Heathrow/London - MSP
2. Delta
3. Economy (selected exit row seats for each flight with upcharge)
4. $2,513.90 Depart June 20 - Return July 2

Last edited:
April 2024
BOS to JNB
Cattle class w/seat pre buy
Qatar
$1,605.00 this same flight was $1,481.00 in 2021

MSP/SEA/JNB
Cattle class w/seat pre buy
Qatar
$1,702.00

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdeyoung

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe