AHG Trophy Shipping

Trout Tracker

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Life Member SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe & RSA US: KS, OK, TX, AL, ME, AR, MO
Has anyone worked with this group? I see that Boddington endorses them, which adds some level of credibility to the company for me. This will be my 4th shipment, but my first with them if I choose to use them. My current taxidermist has quoted a rate of almost 2x that what I was quoted by AHG Trophy Shipping. Thanks for your help with this.

Boddington adds zero credibility for me (he is compensated for the endorsement). I have had great luck over many years and from three different continents utilizing Safari Specialty Importers. My Capercaillie from Austria just arrived in perfect condition today. Give Wyatt Fetner a call. https://safarispecialtyimporters.com/

I used AHG Shipping for a large crate during covid. Sent ocean frieght. Not sure who's to blame it just the circumstances but it missed or was bumped from being loaded on the ship a coule times. The great thing was I did not get dinged with extra storage and the honored the quoted price. AND when the crate arrived all was fine.

I ran into some frustration with clearing on this this side only regarding extra fees at the dock. I suggest asking specifically for all the detailed costs for after the ship docks.... I did not get detailed or complete quotes on that and they dinged me for a couple thousand extra dollars in dock or unloading fees but that was the clearing agent in the US, not AHG Shipping. Then the inland frieght quote was $4100. I made one call to a trucker neighbor and got it done for $2000.

I will very likely use AHG again. Probably for taxidermy. At least some of it. And likely for shipping. Most likely by air but depending as @Just Gina has a huge giraffe that may very likely be mounted in RSA by AHG.

I've also has good success with SSI but they are clearing agents that line up shipping. Not at all involved in taxidermy. And I have seen some high rates quoted by them on some inland shipping as well, recently at least. I do believe they control storage cost quite well also. Wyatt does get the permits done on the difficult stuff like big cats;)

It pays to shop around but also check references.

Boddington adds zero credibility for me (he is compensated for the endorsement). I have had great luck over many years and from three different continents utilizing Safari Specialty Importers. My Capercaillie from Austria just arrived in perfect condition today. Give Wyatt Fetner a call. https://safarispecialtyimporters.com/
Listen to father Red Leg - he’s sharp

Wyatt with SSI is the best in the business and isn’t even the most expensive.

He calls you on his cell phone and you can call him back whenever. Good guy

I work in Logistics/Freight - I understand the broker game. He’s a good one and doesn’t take you for a ride.

My inland freight from JFK to Texas was priced at a very very respectable quote. I’m sure he makes his money somewhere but it wasn’t on that.

Has anyone worked with this group? I see that Boddington endorses them, which adds some level of credibility to the company for me. This will be my 4th shipment, but my first with them if I choose to use them. My current taxidermist has quoted a rate of almost 2x that what I was quoted by AHG Trophy Shipping. Thanks for your help with this.
To clarify; Are you asking about shipping or taxidermy? Richard now brokers both.

Are you saying your taxidermist quoted double the rate for mounting/taxidermy? Or did your taxidermist quote a shipping and clearing cost??

As I understand it, AHG is a shipping agent who will line up clearing in the USA if you want them to. And they now have a relationship to get taxidermy done in RSA and give you a package deal on the taxidermy work plus shipping.

SSI is a full service Clearing Agent that lines up shipping. I've never heard of them getting involved in the taxidermy part.

At least theoretically you could ship with AHG and have SSI clear on this side for you.... Although I believe SSI wants line up shipping as at least in the past they said they quoted shipping from multiple sources to shop that out for you. Not sure how they do it now but I think it varies by country of origin.

To further complicate this post, AHG will line up to have your trophies picked up at your Outfitter in Africa, mounted by one of several taxidermist... You can pick one, but the concept is they are in various different locations so the most economical is the one closest to your Outfitter. Then shipped to the US (or possibly other destinations), and I believe line up clearing or let you do that. I also believe AHG plans to have the option available of delivering to your door. They want to be full service all the way.

@Just Gina and I are trying to sort this all out now as we just finished a hunt in RSA. We got sales pitch from AHG the night before the hunt while staying at Afton.

BTW, Afton has completely changed since Richard bought it in I think 2017. Complete turn around and we truly enjoyed our stay! Also really enjoyed his trophy rooms and curio shop on site.

He can have custom leather and other curio work done for clients and we found the prices to be very competitive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mymobilityscooters8929

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?