Age of first African hunting trip

I was 32 when I went to Namibia in 1991.

I’m 49 and plan to head to Africa in 2-3 years.
What age were y’all on your first hunting trip to Africa. Just out of curiosity.
I will have just turned 67. To make up for it, I plan to go to Africa twice this year.

My first trip over the pond was 28. I have been fortunate to have 9 amazing trips since then. Don’t wait to go. Shipping trophies home is getting ridiculous.

I was 24 when I enjoyed my first safari in 1983. 24 days in Zimbabwe with Roy Vincent, then of Rosslyn Safaris. Full bag for everything except lion. I should have made the hunt 28 days, as I’d have shot a wonderful lion in addition to the other 3 Big Five species I took, along with a full bag of plains game.

I hunted Zimbabwe when I was 29. I took my girlfriend with me. We got engaged in Harari after the hunt. We got married 2 years later and went on a hunt in South Africa for our honeymoon.

My son got his start at 8. I took him to visit a friend of mine at his ranch in southern Namibia. My son had a great time helping to get meat for the workers.

View attachment 591216
That is one heck of a can!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one heck of a can!
Yes, made by a friend of my friend in South Africa. Worked very well though. Makes me wish they were legal in Australia, but that will never happen unfortunately.

I was a few weeks shy of 40 when we went to Namibia in 2022. My son was 10. I'm going back in '26.

42, went to Namibia. Lost my dad the year before and decided to quit putting it off or may never get the chance. Took some saving and a couple nice stock trades but all worked out. Now working on my fourth one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBUFreda80

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with