AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
P&Y, B&C, RMEF, NWTF
Well, the long-awaited time has come, Christmas in July is here! Our mounts are done, have been shipped, and arrived this morning in ATL. My son and I had a total of 7 shoulder mounts, 3 euros, and 4 hides finished. These were from our June 2023 hunt with Kubusi Safaris (hunt report posted here on AH). The taxidermy was done on-site by Tusker's Taxidermy service. All mounts look good per the image sent from Kubusi prior to shipment.
2023 Africa Mounts from Kubusi.jpg

It amazes me how well they can pack all of this into such a small crate.
Mounts in crate.jpg

Details for reference-

Taxidermy:
For all that we had done, I feel the $5,430 (includes $300 crate charge) is reasonable. Especially compared to having it done in the States. Kubusi has their rates listed on their website, which I liked, as it helped us plan ahead of the trip. We were told up front to expect 12 months and it was literally 12 months and 3 days from our hunt that I received the notice it was ready. Again, much better than the going rate of $1,000+ and 18 months+ for a simple deer head here in Illinois.

Shipping:
Crate dimensions are 131 x 122 x 104 cms (for us std people that is 51.5" x 48" x 41")
Crate weight is 123 kgs (271 lbs)
Kubusi used Rex Freight Forwarders out of Port Elizabeth, SA. Rex Freight then teemed up with Coppersmith out of Chicago. Crate was shipped first to Atlanta and then will be sent to Chicago for clearance from USF&W and Customs.

Cost breakdown:
Tusker's Taxidermy:
- Taxidermy $5,130
- Crate $300
- Total for Tusker's Taxidermy $5430
Rex Freight fees per their email:
- Freight $1986
- Terminal Fee $69
- Depot Handling $67
- Nature Permit $140
- Courier $95
- Insurance $109
- Rex Freight $305
- Total for Rex Freight $2843
Coppersmith fees per their email:
- F&W/Customs clearance $400
- Transfer from airport to Coppersmith facility $130
- Warehouse handling fee $65
- Messenger fee $40
- Terminal charge at airline $260
- ACE/APHIS filing fee $25
- Airline storage fee $260 minimum
- Delivery to house - did not have quoted as I will pick up in person from Coppersmith in Chicago
- Total for Coppersmith $TBD

Email I received from Coppersmith just this morning (July 9th):
"The shipment just arrived in Atlanta, GA and it is on agriculture hold. There are new procedures for agriculture in that port so it will be there about a week and once it is released then the airlines will truck it to Chicago. When it arrives, we will pick it up and bring it to our warehouse and then your file will go in line to get the entry submitted to F&W and once clear with them we submit your entry to US Customs. Once it arrives in our warehouse it will take about 2 weeks to get fully clear and an invoice emailed to you. Please let me know if you have any questions."

Timeline:
June 27 - email from Kubusi that taxidermy was complete, packed, ready to ship.
June 27 - I wired taxidermy payment to Kubusi.
July 3 - email from Rex that all documents were completed from their end
July 3 - email from Coppersmith with attached homeland security / power of attorney forms for me to complete
July 5 - I sent Coppersmith the completed forms
July 8 - email from Rex with flight tracking info, shipment departed SA to ATL
July 9 - email from Coppersmith that crate arrived in Atlanta and is on agriculture hold
July 16 (estimated) - crate to ship to Chicago
July 18 (estimated) - crate arrives in Chicago and Coppersmith transfers it to their warehouse
Aug 1 (estimated) - crate is cleared and ready to pick up at Coppersmith's

Questions I have:
1. Does anyone know anything about the "new procedures for agriculture"?
2. Will I be charged storage for each day (about a week per email) it is in Atlanta?
3. Will I be charged for each day (about 2 weeks per email) it is at Coppersmith?
4. Does the timeframe once it landed in Atlanta until I can pick it up (@3 weeks) seem reasonable?
5. Would I have been better off picking up the crate in Atlanta vs having it shipped (trucked) to Chicago?
6. Does anyone have suggestions to improve on the taxidermy shipping costs for our next safari in 2025?

Overall, I have been very pleased with the communication between all parties involved and the swiftness of the process up to this point. I am concerned that now the $$$ will start piling up and I have no idea what to expect here beyond what Coppersmith has quoted me. Of course, it is what it is at this point. However, it would be comforting to know if this is what others are experiencing these days.

I did hear a RUMOR that Atlanta received a shipment of just about rotten skins and skulls recently. I don’t know if that caused new rules or not. I’ve had 3 shipments cleared through Atlanta and Coppersmiths with no holds or delays and 2 of the shipments included swine and primates. My very first shipment went through Atlanta where it cleared USFWS and then to Chicago and ultimately to Michigan and The Wildlife Gallery, I used D&L customs house for that clearance. No problem with that either. Post pictures when you get em home and on the wall.

Well, the long-awaited time has come, Christmas in July is here! Our mounts are done, have been shipped, and arrived this morning in ATL. My son and I had a total of 7 shoulder mounts, 3 euros, and 4 hides finished. These were from our June 2023 hunt with Kubusi Safaris (hunt report posted here on AH). The taxidermy was done on-site by Tusker's Taxidermy service. All mounts look good per the image sent from Kubusi prior to shipment. View attachment 618654
View attachment 618655

Details for reference-

Taxidermy:
For all that we had done, I feel the $5,430 (includes $300 crate charge) is reasonable. Especially compared to having it done in the States. Kubusi has their rates listed on their website, which I liked, as it helped us plan ahead of the trip. We were told up front to expect 12 months and it was literally 12 months and 3 days from our hunt that I received the notice it was ready. Again, much better than the going rate of $1,000+ and 18 months+ for a simple deer head here in Illinois.

Shipping:
Crate dimensions are 131 x 122 x 104 cms (for us std people that is 51.5" x 48" x 41")
Kubusi used Rex Freight Forwarders out of Port Elizabeth, SA. Rex Freight then teemed up with Coppersmith out of Chicago. Crate was shipped first to Atlanta and then will be sent to Chicago for clearance from USF&W and Customs.

Cost breakdown:
Tusker's Taxidermy:
- Taxidermy $5,130
- Crate $300
- Freight $1986
- Terminal Fee $69
- Depot Handling $67
- Nature Permit $140
- Courier $95
- Insurance $109
- Rex Freight $305
- Messenger fee $40
- Delivery to house - did not have quoted as I will pick up in person from Coppersmith in Chicago

"The shipment just arrived in Atlanta, GA and it is on agriculture hold. There are new procedures for agriculture in that port so it will be there about a week and once it is released then the airlines will truck it to Chicago. When it arrives, we will pick it up and bring it to our warehouse and then your file will go in line to get the entry submitted to F&W and once clear with them we submit your entry to US Customs. Once it arrives in our warehouse it will take about 2 weeks to get fully clear and an invoice emailed to you. Please let me know if you have any questions."

Timeline:
July 3 - email from Coppersmith with attached homeland security / power of attorney forms for me to complete
July 9 - email from Coppersmith that crate arrived in Atlanta and is on agriculture hold
July 18 (estimated) - crate arrives in Chicago and Coppersmith transfers it to their warehouse

Questions I have:
2. Will I be charged storage for each day (about a week per email) it is in Atlanta?
3. Will I be charged for each day (about 2 weeks per email) it is at Coppersmith?
4. Does the timeframe once it landed in Atlanta until I can pick it up (@3 weeks) seem reasonable?
5. Would I have been better off picking up the crate in Atlanta vs having it shipped (trucked) to Chicago?
6. Does anyone have suggestions to improve on the taxidermy shipping costs for our next safari in 2025?

Overall, I have been very pleased with the communication between all parties involved and the swiftness of the process up to this point. I am concerned that now the $$$ will start piling up and I have no idea what to expect here beyond what Coppersmith has quoted me. Of course, it is what it is at this point. However, it would be comforting to know if this is what others are experiencing these days.
@ILDRHNTR of ALL the fees you paid - my favorite is the “Nature Permit” $140…how creative can they get ?
But the prices for the Taxidermy work seems great — very low

Oh, by the way. The blesbok on the left looks like an absolute stud!

What, no gemsbok?

Looks like you had a fantastic time and with the mounts the memories to go with them.

Your shipping charges look right in line for finished mounts.

I was just on the phone with Coppersmith rep in Seattle today. She did mention that they had "changed things up" recently and that it was a pain as they never stick to any routines for long. (I thought to myself when she said this - government - always reinventing the wheel as new employees come and old move out. Got to make changes to show they are worthy of their dole). Anyway, I would call your rep and they will walk you through what you can "maybe" expect for fees and timelines. Good luck. My stuff is scheduled to leave JNB on Sunday.....

What, no gemsbok?

Looks like you had a fantastic time and with the mounts the memories to go with them.

Your shipping charges look right in line for finished mounts.
Gemsbok is no1 on my list for 2025, Nyala no2. We knew we would be going back so we kept some for later.

I was just on the phone with Coppersmith rep in Seattle today. She did mention that they had "changed things up" recently and that it was a pain as they never stick to any routines for long. (I thought to myself when she said this - government - always reinventing the wheel as new employees come and old move out. Got to make changes to show they are worthy of their dole). Anyway, I would call your rep and they will walk you through what you can "maybe" expect for fees and timelines. Good luck. My stuff is scheduled to leave JNB on Sunday.....
Arctic97, thanks. I left a message for my rep. Waiting on return call. Best of luck with your shipment.

Well, the long-awaited time has come, Christmas in July is here! Our mounts are done, have been shipped, and arrived this morning in ATL. My son and I had a total of 7 shoulder mounts, 3 euros, and 4 hides finished. These were from our June 2023 hunt with Kubusi Safaris (hunt report posted here on AH). The taxidermy was done on-site by Tusker's Taxidermy service. All mounts look good per the image sent from Kubusi prior to shipment. View attachment 618654
View attachment 618655

Details for reference-

Taxidermy:

Shipping:

Cost breakdown:
Tusker's Taxidermy:
- Taxidermy $5,130
- Crate $300
- Freight $1986
- Terminal Fee $69
- Depot Handling $67
- Nature Permit $140
- Courier $95
- Insurance $109
- Rex Freight $305
- Messenger fee $40

Timeline:

Questions I have:

Thanks for the detailed info! Looks like you two had a great hunt!!!

I saw a Tuskers lodge somewhere on the road between Port Alfred and Grahamstown in the eastern cape. If that’s the area it’s a beautiful place. I hunted bushbuck and bushpig with the Indian Ocean as a backdrop. The farm I hunted could be my favorite piece of ground I’ve ever hunted or seen.

I saw a Tuskers lodge somewhere on the road between Port Alfred and Grahamstown in the eastern cape. If that’s the area it’s a beautiful place. I hunted bushbuck and bushpig with the Indian Ocean as a backdrop. The farm I hunted could be my favorite piece of ground I’ve ever hunted or seen.
That would be it. Amazing countrysides there. Our Blesbok’s and the bushbuck were hunted very near the ocean as well, amongst the pineapple fields.

What was the name of the farm?

@ILDRHUNTER

Its been a while since we chat on the phone after your hunt. Glad to hear your trophies are getting closer to being hung on the wall.

What are your hunt dates in 2025?

I'll be there at KUBUSI the last week in May(?).

Adrian Ford was the owner, I cant remember the actual farm name. If I ever make it back to the EC I’m going to try and go down there and hunt a blue duiker.
I honestly do not remember the name. I can tell you that it was a working pineapple farm, along with some cattle. The gentleman was in his 30’s with two young children. Super super nice people. The kids really enjoyed getting involved with the animals.

@ILDRHUNTER

Its been a while since we chat on the phone after your hunt. Glad to hear your trophies are getting closer to being hung on the wall.

What are your hunt dates in 2025?

I'll be there at KUBUSI the last week in May(?).
Hello @Ridge Runner. For sure, it has been a while. We are looking at mid June again. Have to wait until Hunter is out of school. Let’s keep in touch.

I was told by Laura at Coppersmiths in Chicago that when a crate arrives in Atlanta that there is no storage fee while it clears agriculture then gets sent to Chicago and and then to their warehouse to clear F&W and customs and no storage fees , that is how mine was handled last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TatianaBgw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.