AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
B,C. Canada Nevada,Ca. ,Georgia, Arkansas africa 1
Hey guys I just spoke to my USA taxidermist about my africa shipments , and he informed me that all back skins must now be shipped green and tanned over here, I have not researched this out, and I dont know if this is a new state {Idaho} reg. or a federal one, but something else to consider. maybe you all already knew this. But I didnt..

Is there a cleanliness issue or is someone being BS'ed? What if it's a full skin (that includes the back skin??) lol This sounds well thought out...but like Gov't.

Is there a cleanliness issue or is someone being BS'ed? What if it's a full skin (that includes the back skin??) lol This sounds well thought out...but like Gov't.
Im waiting on a quote from him tomorrow and then I will try and find out more, but he was serious and is a very long time reputable business.

1718748940809.png

That sounds crazy to me as well. I personally find the South African tanning to be superior to the US as they use the real caustic stuff our regulatory agencies balk at. Just kidding – a little bit. As stated above, this absolutely makes no sense. At least to me. Unless the US tanning lobby is more powerful than I would imagine. :)

Interesting. They didn't convey that message to me back in May when I was lining out my taxidermy in SA. Be interested to hear more on this.

Nope, nothing from USFW or Dept of Ag on this.

Maybe check with coppersmith or a similar importer and ask them what they have heard

I would assume tanned back skins are viewed as finished taxidermy, and it’s my understanding that finished taxidermy can not be shipped with dip&pack. This may have changed but things seem to never change in the hunters favor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MosheFalco

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex
A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?