African Hunting Dogs?

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Joined
Nov 3, 2018
Messages
10,456
Reaction score
22,036
Location
Colorado
Media
27
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
I have read here and have seen videos of Jack Russell terriers used for finding game in Africa. Whatever happened to the Rhodesian Ridgeback breed? I thought they were originally used to hunt lion in Africa? Now and again, I see them here as pets in the U.S., but have never heard of them mentioned on this forum? Just curious? Thanks!
 
I own a female and see a couple more in the neighborhood here in Colorado Springs. I did see a few in South Africa the last time I was there. Mainly as pets.
 
I have seen them in SA farms.
 
A couple of outfitter’s I have used had ridgebacks, but fortunately I didn’t get to see them work. Unfortunately I have seen Jack Russels and some kind of small hound breed work. All quite amazing!
 
I use wire hair Irish Terriers and am wanting a proper wire hair fox terrier......
 
Ridgebacks are sight hounds. Similar to Greyhounds.

On follow up for wounded game you probably want scent hounds.

I have seen Weimaraner's, GSP's, along with the assortment of Jack Russels, Fox Terriers, Dackels, and mutts, in southern Africa.

Not saying a Ridgebacks can't follow a scent and track down a wounded animal. Just saying there may be better choices if your income is reliant on keeping clients happy by finding their poorly shot game.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,252
Messages
1,570,742
Members
169,139
Latest member
MaurineLow
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top