joker2400

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA
This was my 3rd trip with Reon and African Barefoot Safaris. It initially was supposed to be a hunt for some of the small species, but as I decided to bring the girlfriend along it turned into one of those hunts where you just take what the bush provides.

We were excited to be staying at the new lodge and hunting the new property. We had a great experience, it should only get better. The lodge is in a spectacular location on the Palala river and is probable the 2nd nicest I've stayed in.

image_50397185.JPG

image_50408705.JPG

image_50427649.JPG

image_50411265.JPG

image_50398465.JPG

image_50373121.JPG

Day 1: We got off to a slow start. I had a steenbuck jump the string and take a nonfatal arrow just above the spine when we reviewed the video. Otherwise not much moving at that blind

Day 2: A lot more activity today. Baboons, eland, impala, hartebeest, and steenbuck, just nothing I was looking for.

Day 3: Quick start at the blind. I took a golden wildebeest before noon. We sat until about 4 and then moved to the bushpig blind. We saw a pair of honey badgers, a genet, and shot a nice bushpig before 8pm.

image_50369281.JPG

image_50366465.JPG

image_50428417.JPG

Days 4-8: Lots of animals seen just no opportunities on the animals I was after. Mornings and evenings we spent trying to get a steenbuck, but were unsuccessful.
image_50733569.JPG

HGZO3298.JPG

image_123650291 (1).JPG

Day 9: My girlfriend was hoping to take a zebra with the crossbow so we went to a new blind to try to accomplish this. I brought my bow along because "Why not?" The zebra hunt turned into a sable hunt around 8:30 when a massive sable bull slowly came in, then left, then came in, then left, then came in, then left, then came in for a 4th time before committing to the water. I took my shot and unfortunately hit a bit far back and we proceeded into a 2 hour track with a follow up shot needed. However, we did have a successful recovery. In the afternoon we moved to a different blind for zebra, we saw many animals but no zebras.
image_123650291.JPG

Day 10: My girlfriend switched her focus to taking a good specimen of whatever showed up. We saw lots of animals all morning and she was tempted by the big baboons, but held out for something else. Just before noon the bushbuck ram I'd been hoping to see came out and I told her she was up. The shot was great and the ram down in sight. We sat the afternoon and were entertained but saw nothing we wanted to shoot.
image_123650291.JPG

Day 11: One last trip up the mountain for mountain reedbuck before we left for the airport. No luck, but leaves me a reason to come back (as if i need another one).

Travel: Delta 200 there and 201 back. This year was the smoothest experience I have had. Short delay leaving Atlanta, but not a big deal since the SkyClub was adjacent to our gate. We breezed through passport control and baggage claim in Joburg, about 20 minutes total. We waited for the flight home in the Virgin Atlantic lounge and then spent out 6 hour layover in Atlanta at the new Centurion lounge.

Excellent Thank You for sharing :D Beers: Taking what Africa gives, I like it

Very nice sable! Congrats on your trip. The Palala River is gorgeous. We did a sundowner cruise there last month.

Great report and that lodge view is impressive. That sable is a beauty, But the bushpig and a huge bushbuck with an arrow! Outstanding..

The look on that buffalo’s face!
Thanks for posting-

Great report and that lodge view is impressive. That sable is a beauty, But the bushpig and a huge bushbuck with an arrow! Outstanding..
IIRC it was a shade over 48 inches on the long side and 25 inches tip to tip. I think the bushpig and bushbuck are still the premier trophies of the hunt though

Love it!

"switched her focus to taking a good specimen of whatever showed up."

I've had those days. Laughed out loud at that part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HunterX

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!