Africa turned my Wife into a Hunter

Adipose

AH member
Reaction score
I have been trying to get my wife to join me in Africa for 30 years. Finally a year ago she agreed to join me on a bowhunting trip. As we planned this trip she kept saying how she wasn't sure she would be able to spend all day out hunting with me, and she certainly didn't want to hunt. She was looking at side trips the outfitter offered, like a day at a spa, elephant walks, shopping, sitting by the pool etc.
The first day she hunted with me all day, we didn't take any animals but it was a great day and we saw numerous species. That evening at the fire I asked if she wanted to go elsewhere on day 2. She said, no way I'm coming with you tomorrow!
Day 2 she watched me take a great sable and had an amazing time. By day 3 she was asking if she could hunt. We spent some time on the range and taught her to shoot a crossbow. The next day she took a Black impala and that was it. She no longer wanted to do anything but hunt. She ended up taking 3 great animals, but if she could have she would have extended the trip and continued to hunt.
Now being home for over a month, all she talks about everyday is hunting. She is returning with me next year to Africa, looking at other hunts around the world, and is having an architect draw up plans for a bigger game room.
She had an amazing time and is having the "sack" of the eland done for a pen cup on her desk at work. I'm sure it will be a great conversation piece for the men who have meetings in her office. What an amazing time we had, and so fortunate she has really enjoyed her time in the field.
So take your wife, it just may be the best time of her life!
IMG_9525.jpg
IMG_3638.jpg
IMG_3570.jpg

Yep. Now look what you done did.

That’s on you, bud. :cool:

Congrats! You just doubled the cost and enjoyment of hunting.

Great Eland bull
Yea, there is that.... But honestly she is hunting with me and we can only hunt one at a time so it's more like we are splitting the animals. But I gotta say, it's even more enjoyable watching your wife get an animal and be super excited than taking one yourself. Ask me again after a few years..lol

Congrats! You just doubled the cost and enjoyment of hunting.

Great Eland bull

Fantastic!

This occurrence is somewhere between my secret dream and my secret fear.

You two gentlemen hit the nail on the head! It’s amazing to have family hunting with you such as your wife or children. But Dang! Gets expensive quick when they start talking about things like impala slams and wildebeest slams.

For the amount I spent on airfare alone on my family safari I could have had 3 more safaris for myself. Wouldn’t trade that experience with my wife and kids for anything!

Happy wife HAPPY LIFE. Although it may cost you a few bucks i.e. for her own bow and such, it will be worth every penny. Your "date nights" just added a new activity. ENJOY!!

You two gentlemen hit the nail on the head! It’s amazing to have family hunting with you such as your wife or children. But Dang! Gets expensive quick when they start talking about things like impala slams and wildebeest slams.

For the amount I spent on airfare alone on my family safari I could have had 3 more safaris for myself. Wouldn’t trade that experience with my wife and kids for anything!
I think airfare is the biggest bump. I can only imagine the fee taking the whole family, but that must have been an amazing trip! Wish I had been able to do that when my daughters were young though.

I think airfare is the biggest bump. I can only imagine the fee taking the whole family, but that must have been an amazing trip! Wish I had been able to do that when my daughters were young though.

Airfare is the biggest cost for sure. My daughter had her own package so that cost some more and my son being only 9 shot a blue wildebeest off my package and added a warthog so he didn’t cost me much extra. Observer fees for the wife who was plenty happy just watching the kids hunt.

Bottom line is taking your loved ones on a safari is worth every penny!

you hit a home run my man. Congrats!

Funny how Africa works isn't it? I share a similar story. First animal my ever hunted was in Africa. Congratulations to your wife, my sympathies for your wallet however..... :)

Yea, there is that.... But honestly she is hunting with me and we can only hunt one at a time so it's more like we are splitting the animals. But I gotta say, it's even more enjoyable watching your wife get an animal and be super excited than taking one yourself. Ask me again after a few years..lol
That same excitement lasted me until she decided to get her Dangerous Seven. Costly decision on my part...

HH

Congratulations! I had a similar experience with my wife and son. We went to Africa with them having desire to hunting to them each harvesting an animal. My son is hooked!

It is certainly more enjoyable when someone shares the same goals. Good for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmorgan365

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available