Africa prices?

Additional factors:

Economic status of foreign clients... or rather the often false impression...
more often than not most foreign countries assume all Americans and most Europeans that visit their respective country are rich....rich by the respective American or European country's standards.

Animals populations and availability to be hunted
Popularity and location to hunt specific animal(s)
Exportable or non exportable to home country
Hunt type baited or not baited

No sir
I think you are wrong here
We do not perceive us or euro hunters to be rich
But we also need to make a profit in our seasonal business so we can sustain for the year and be back the following season guiding clients and fulfilling their dream hunts
And hopefully one or two return in a year or two for another hunt .
This is not a get rich quick business and if you own your own land and emply your staff on a permanent basis as we do at tallyho then its a matter of making enough in season and to cover all costs and keeping everyone fed in the off season

No sir
I think you are wrong here
We do not perceive us or euro hunters to be rich
But we also need to make a profit in our seasonal business so we can sustain for the year and be back the following season guiding clients and fulfilling their dream hunts
And hopefully one or two return in a year or two for another hunt .
This is not a get rich quick business and if you own your own land and emply your staff on a permanent basis as we do at tallyho then its a matter of making enough in season and to cover all costs and keeping everyone fed in the off season

As one of many of the respected sponsors and outfitters here on AH;

Rhetorical questions:

Do you own and only hunt your property/properties?

Do you pay or lease other property/ properties for clients to hunt on?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't VATs a sort of government tax for the privilege to operate a hunting concession and the more hunters the outfitter hosts the more the VATs the outfitter has to pay?

Because an outfitter hunts another's farm the outfitter compensates the farmer for the animal hunted regardless whether the animal was successfully retrieved or considered lost?

By referring to seasonal business it's implied you are outside RSA which hunts year round. This also implies higher government land lease rates plus the added tribal land use fees.

Thereby outfitters are in away just one form of a country's bank;

The outfitter has to pay:

Government
Employees
Tribe(s)
Suppliers
Themselves

The outfitters only income is from clients, mostly from the US and Europe, this income is paid by USD and Euros at a considerable exchange rate. When the government wants more money from the outfitters all others want more money from the outfitters, thus outfitters have to charge clients more money to make ends meet.

As you put it [outfitters are]....not in a get rich quick business....for themselves......but for the others outfitters rely on and support.

In essence hypothetically speaking:

An outfitter needs 30 hunting clients at an average of $30,000.00USD and 15 tourist clients at an average of $15,000.00 per year to perverbially make ends meet. That equates to $1,125,000.00USD at $15.00 Local Currency to $1.OOUSD equates to 16,875,000.00 annually.

Subtracting listed below annual expenses with an estimated average of 9% per expense: estimated equates to 90% of annual income: 15,187,500.00LC

$112,500.00USD

employee payroll,
government and tribal land leases, vehicles fuel, oil, repairs and maintenance,
property/properties improvements, repairs and maintenance,
other equipment repairs and maintenance,
food, lodging and other supplies for clients,
VATs and other government fees, miscellaneous and general operating supplies and expenses,
travel and advertising expenses
general household expenses

Rough estimated annual outfitter profit balance: 1,687,500.00LC or $112,500.00USD

Reduction Variables to the outfitters estimated annual profit:

Currency daily exchange rate
Not meeting the annual quota of 30 hunting clients and 15 tourist clients
Medical expenses
Hiring additional employees temporary and/or full time
Pandemic/epidemic catastrophe human and/or animal
Poachers/poaching activities
Drought/ flood/ fire weather related disaster(s)

I agree an outfitter is not a get rich quick business. But on the middleman who pays all the others because all the others are looking- thinking all the outfitter has to do is increase their fees on the rich American and European clients.

Long winded response but I hope I made my point clear without offending any outfitter sponsors of AH. It's not just Africans that think all Americans and Europeans are rich, people in other countries I've been to in South America, Mexico, etc. mistakenly think the same thing.

Because an outfitter hunts another's farm the outfitter compensates the farmer for the animal hunted regardless whether the animal was successfully retrieved or considered lost?
I think it depends from place to place, but where I was hunting, if going to neighbors place, the neighbor (property owner) keeps the meat.

Additional income for the outfiter (property owner), is not only from client day rate and trophy fee, is meat, that he sells on the market. A group of clients, in trophy hunt or culling can easily make a ton of meat per day.

In namibia, there is also a lot of cattle ranching ongoing together with game farming and hunting operations on same properties.

Last edited:
One nice thing about Zim, we do not have much of a problem with illegal immigrants.

I will add to that we are so fortunate to have the fine people that we have here, especially the Tongas.

I think it depends from place to place, but where I was hunting, if going to neighbors place, the neighbor (property owner) keeps the meat.

Additional income for the outfiter (property owner), is not only from client day rate and trophy fee, is meat, that he sells on the market. A group of clients, in trophy hunt or culling can easily make a ton of meat per day.

In namibia, there is also a lot of cattle ranching ongoing together with game farming and hunting operations on same properties.
the meat is a part of our business, but its menial, we get around R20-R30/kg , clean carcass weight after a few days in cold room

the meat is a part of our business, but its menial, we get around R20-R30/kg , clean carcass weight after a few days in cold room

mark-hunter you slightly missed the point. The point being the false concept that people in other countries think all Americans and Europeans are rich because we arrive in their country with more money in our pockets than some will ever see or earn in 5, 10, 20, 100 lifetimes.

As Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS has pointed out being a safaris outfitter is just away to make additional income. Same as for a farmer allowing a safaris operator to hunt on his land for a fee to earn pextra income, as a concession, without the added expenses the safaris outfitter has.

Comparatively to American farmers/ranchers that supplement their farm/ranch income by
leasing their land to hunters, hunting outfits, wildlife agencies or as in some of the western US hunters and outfitters pay farmers/ ranchers trespassing fees, to hunt retrieve game during the respective hunting seasons.

Some farmers/rancher also work an hourly/salary job to add to their farming/ranching income because it is a steady source of reliable income to help offset farming/ranching expenses when agricultural/livestock prices drop and/or have to adjust for rising operational costs.

mark-hunter you slightly missed the point. The point being the false concept that people in other countries think all Americans and Europeans are rich because we arrive in their country with more money in our pockets than some will ever see or earn in 5, 10, 20, 100 lifetimes.
Yes, I caught that, but did not elaborate in it.

Once we caught a stowaway on a cargo ship from west Africa (Ghana) bound to west Europe (France). This was 30 years ago.
Being then only a junior deck officer they gave me assignment to question him to fill some IMO stowaway form for report to authorities.
So, I asked this poor young guy why he wants to go to Europe? (that was on a check list to ask)
He said, because in Europe everybody is rich and nobody works.
This is basically what you are saying and I am aware of it, for a long time, much before I came first time to Africa to hunt.

However, I also believe, that about 90% of safari hunters come to Africa from western Europe and USA.
(80% USA alone, out of total number of visiting hunters)
We can afford it. prices are made to fit our financial profile. Because we have higher standard of living. We make in average more money because everything is more expensive in our countries. etc. So, with some planning we can save some dollars to spend every few years on African hunt.

people from Asian countries go to safari much less.
Yes, blue collar hunter from USA and EU still can afford at least PG safari. Andd he is not rich.
But blue collar worker from far east, or south America can afford it much harder, if at all. So, by some standards we could be seen as "rich", not understanding that we in many cases need some sacrifices to make for a safari budget, but we are still from a wealthier part of the world.

Don't forget currency conversion. A strong USD will buy a lot in RSA, giving the impression that the spender is well off. Never mind that the USD in the USA doesn't go as far as evidenced by the cost of a McDonald's Big Mac in USA vs RSA.

JetJockey,
Here are 4 outfits that offer cattle fencing. Real Free range hunting. This not wilderness hunting like Zambia for you and the Selous, Niassa game reserve, and Binga tribal land in Zim for me. This is four strand Barb wire hunting- like the western states.Chumlet Safaris, Tyrone Milne, RSA,Crusader Safaris, Andrew Pringle,RSA, Nekwe Safaris, Jaco Botswana, Eintracht Jagd, Pieter Delport,Nambia.
Is plains game hunting in a wilderness area that much better for all the extra stuff/cost? For me not really. Free range is Free range.

And why wouldn’t an outfitter charge what someone is willing to pay. I would much rather sell 1 roan for $8000 than 2 for $4000 each same money but only 1/2 the number of animals.
In my sod business I would much prefer to sell 1 pallet of grass for $100 than 2 for $50. We save on inventory and there is plenty of demand.
Have you heard the saying “quick nickel, slow dime”?

RED LEG, wow - that is an “impressive FENCE”!! Lots of cost to put that up and ongoing maintenance must also be required. I’d guess that labor is cheap but the cost for materials must be significant - how do they manage to afford fencing in 1000s & 1000s of acres? They must do a good job because not much could get over or thru a fence that well built.
Great place to hunt! I hunted with them in 2017 and was amazed at all of the game you see. You want find nicer people to hunt with than Hans and his family. First class operation.

Here is an idea of a group hunt that we recently completed for three foreign hunters.

3 hunters
2 elephant
1 hippo
2 crocodile
1 hyena
Tiger Fishing

$47,000 inc. gun rental and ammunition
Includes pick up return Vic Falls

Lon

Here is an idea of a group hunt that we recently completed for three foreign hunters.

3 hunters
2 elephant
1 hippo
2 crocodile
1 hyena
Tiger Fishing

Lon
I might add all 3 hunters took 100% of desired animals on a 14 day hunt.

3 hunters
2 elephant
1 hippo
2 crocodile
1 hyena
Tiger Fishing

Lon
Hi Lon. Interested in your website but seems to be down?

Lon, did they all pay the retail price for DG daily rate. Was there a break. Or since the same amount of PH’s, trucks, food and staff are needed. Full daily rates.

I'm not going to get into details however I've seen prices offered to RSA resident hunters in Rand and they get to keep or sell the meat themselves.
A lot of game ranches in RSA have two different price lists, one for the American hunters and one for the residents.
Obviously foreigners require more services but still....

I’d like to hunt buff again. But I’d also like a good wart hog, impala, wildebeest, nyala, and maybe a roan or sable.
Mozambiq

3 hunters
2 elephant
1 hippo
2 crocodile
1 hyena
Tiger Fishing

Lon
I wasn’t much cheaper in Zim, solo hunter, 12 days, 9 animals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharonCook

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?