AA5744, H4227 - low recoil 375 H&H

Kenn Loch

Reaction score
Been scouring the net for AA5744 or H/IMR4227 to load some low recoil 375 H&H for easier practice…no luck so far.
Appreciate any steer if any known to be available.
Also, appreciate low recoil 375 load data for those or other powders. Most recipes are hunting loads staring at 2400fps. Would like to load some 235g rounds near 2000fps to shoot more with less wallop .
Cheers and Happy Memorial Day

Kenn search for:
375 H&H Reduced loads with Accurate 5744
OP was jbirdwell

Also look at Hogdon site for reduced loads. Find H4895 full power load for any bullet. Reduce H4895 load to 60%. Simple and straight forward.

Powder Valley had 4227 a couple of weeks ago.

Increase the gun heft and shoot regular loads you intend to hunt with, pleasurably. The 375 doesn't kick too much unless severely underweight. Mine were a pleasure compared to bigger stuff...(gun weight? recoil pad style/butt size? pics?)

Guns weighs 7.6 lb scoped and loaded. I plan to do my final practicing with hunting loads (270 or 300gr at 2500-2700 fps)…trip in 2025.
To start off getting used to this new gun I would prefer something less hot.

PS: I also posted my search for those low recoil powders on Long Range Hunting forum…got a guy today who after 45 minutes of becoming a site member told me he had a friend with those powder and I should give him a call.
Also have found numerous scam websites with powder availability at great prices…Venmo only of course because

Agree! That was using my digital bathroom scale. I will try to weigh another method to confirm.

Guns weighs 7.6 lb scoped and loaded. I plan to do my final practicing with hunting loads (270 or 300gr at 2500-2700 fps)…trip in 2025.
That's a tad light for a 375. Factory American? Black recycled ABS plastic drain pipe stock?

PS: I also posted my search for those low recoil powders on Long Range Hunting forum…got a guy today who after 45 minutes of becoming a site member told me he had a friend with those powder and I should give him a call.
Also have found numerous scam websites with powder availability at great prices…Venmo only of course because
Any powder is low-recoil if undercharged. Add some heft to your gun. Hg recoil reducers, etc. Steel parts (NO aluminum,) sling w/ 4 rounds in it, quality scope, talley/warne/alaska steel mounts, et. al. It's a 375, not a 500. My 375 weighed 13.5 lbs fully outfitted, my Son's is like 11. Buy a shooting shirt and/or a slip-on recoil pad. Actual items.

Last edited:
What's the gun?

Did you find and loads for 4227? I REALLY don’t think it’s a suitable powder for the 375. The only thing I’ve ever used it in was my 44 magnum. It’s pretty close to WW296 in burn rate and I’ve never heard on anything in that class of powder used for a large capacity rifle cartridge.
Please be absolutely sure before you try it.

5744 is a bulky powder designed for lower pressure, lower velocity BP substitute cast bullet loads that took the place of 4759. 4227 is a low density, relatively fast pistol type powder with some application in smaller case volume rifle cast bullet loads. Messing around, especially with 4227 for reduced jacketed bullet loads in cartridges like the 375 HH, is asking for trouble, IMO. Much better off with tested knowns like Hodgdon's 60% H4895 load.

It’s a Montana Arms model 1999…wood stock. Leupold 2x8 scope with steel quick release rings. I think my bathroom scale comparison may be off so possibly closer to 8.6 lbs. Trying to find a scale that can accurately measure something that size. If still under 9lbs when all said and done may look into some of the weight adding recommendations.

5744 is a bulky powder designed for lower pressure, lower velocity BP substitute cast bullet loads that took the place of 4759. 4227 is a low density, relatively fast pistol type powder with some application in smaller case volume rifle cast bullet loads. Messing around, especially with 4227 for reduced jacketed bullet loads in cartridges like the 375 HH, is asking for trouble, IMO. Much better off with tested knowns like Hodgdon's 60% H4895 load.
I have found several official (Hodgdon manual) low recoil recipes for IMR 4227…down to 2000 fps.

Sierra manual has some light load recipe as well. Problem is that the powder they list was discontinued a couple of years ago. It was a favorite with savage ml10 (smokeless muzzleloader).

PLEASE be careful with the H4895 reduced load in cases this size. I tried it in 9.3x74, was more like 80% and I had a couple delayed fires. So much volume the powder will lay flat if the makes sense in case. the primer was blowing across the top of the powder I believe. Maybe if I used a filler it would’ve been better???

try trail boss for low pressure loads. the manufacture makes recommendations on its use but it fills a lot of the case and makes for slow bullet speeds.

re: weighing the rifle, mercury recoil reducers are available, i just put a round bar of lead (1 lb) in the butt of my 458 win to get the weight up.

Too much poor advice surfacing in this thread. Messing around with reduced pistol powder loads in large capacity cases under jacketed bullets is asking for trouble. No way will a properly prepared and loaded case with proper primer cause a delayed fire in an 80% H48965 load. That sounds like a straw man argument. Proceed as you like but not with any recommendation from me.

Also, Trailboss is a very specialized and bulky/low density powder. That does not mean it is a slow or forgiving powder either. It is a very fast burning, high energy powder, best used in cast bullet loads in high expansion ratio cases and not at all for jacketed loads in large volume, shouldered cases like the 375 HH. Again, proceed as you desire, being warned it may be based on questionable advice!

Here's a link to the 60% Hodgdon data

Attachments

• h4895-reduced-rifle-loads-2.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pedro villarreal