A Word Of Warning To All Aspiring Elephant Hunters

Hunter-Habib

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Zambia , Namibia , Kenya , Mozambique , Zimbabwe
I see a very disconcerting trend lately, based on my interactions with many of our fellow forum members who aspire to hunt elephants in the future. Many gents here consider using Northfork Cup Point Solid bullets for their impending elephant hunt.

Gents, I can’t issue a word of warning strong enough against this practice ! These bullets were not designed for elephant hunting. They were designed for departing shots on Cape buffalo & such. That’s why they’re engineered to rivet. They’re only ”Solids“ by name.

Remember that for elephant hunting, expansion is your enemy. Any expansion whatsoever. So be smart, be safe & be responsible. Use proper solids for elephant hunting (like Northfork’s very own flat point solid which they specifically designed for this purpose).

Warmest Regards,
Habib

P.S: Yes, I know. There have been documented cases of hunters successfully using Northfork Cup Point Solids to down elephants via lung shots or side brain shots on cow elephants. But they’re far from ideal for the job.

Used Hornady DGS myself, brain shot, and could have reloaded the bullet.

Used Hornady DGS myself, brain shot, and could have reloaded the bullet.

This. Don't mess with proven success over 100 years. A FMJ lead core solid by a well regarded name is the solution: Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer, Hornady DGS, Woodleigh Traditional Solid.

Too many gimmicks in the market today. Gimmicks that are designed to come apart like the lunar LEM module, controled fragmentation, partial opening tips, etc. It's all sexy marketing nonsense when all you need is something that shoots in a straight line without deflection and without expansion.

I see a very disconcerting trend lately, based on my interactions with many of our fellow forum members who aspire to hunt elephants in the future. Many gents here consider using Northfork Cup Point Solid bullets for their impending elephant hunt.

Gents, I can’t issue a word of warning strong enough against this practice ! These bullets were not designed for elephant hunting. They were designed for departing shots on Cape buffalo & such. That’s why they’re engineered to rivet. They’re only ”Solids“ by name.

Remember that for elephant hunting, expansion is your enemy. Any expansion whatsoever. So be smart, be safe & be responsible. Use proper solids for elephant hunting (like Northfork’s very own flat point solid which they specifically designed for this purpose).

Warmest Regards,
Habib

P.S: Yes, I know. There have been documented cases of hunters successfully using Northfork Cup Point Solids to down elephants via lung shots or side brain shots on cow elephants. But they’re far from ideal for the job.
As always thanks for your wisdom and experience!!! I was thrilled with my CEB solids on my hunt

I would add that you must make sure that your chosen load feeds well. Hornady DGS has a flat nose and caused problems in my CZ. I worked on the feeding until DGS and Peregrine copper solids load flawlessly. Woodleigh solids are very good for feeding reliability. I would add Woodleigh hydro to the list of reliable solids.

Warmest Regards,
Habib

I am in 100% Agreement with every word by @Hunter-Habib

It bears repeating............

There may have been some discussion of it but I don’t see a trend of recommending the Cup Point Solid for elephant. But I may have missed it. I doubt this topic would have garnered as much attention if someone may have mentioned the relatively soft Woodleigh Weldcore for that purpose :)

I have used the Cup Point Solid with great and consistent results. I consider it a type of extreme soft point designed to penetrate straight and deep. I think that was the purpose for North Fork designing it in the first place. For jobs that call for maximum straight line penetration nothing does better than the various designs of monolithic flat point solids.

I see old style cup and core round nose “solids” recommended in the same breath as the extreme criticism of the Cup Point Solid… huh? If anything those old cup and core, full patch, round nose “solids” are much more prone to erratic behavior than the monolithic Cup Point Solid by North Fork or certainly a well designed monolithic flat point. That round nose profile is prone to veering behavior and if it yaws too much, can bend or even shed the core.

I’ve never understood the search for the latest and greatest solid. To my knowledge all of the modern solids work just fine.

The cup point is for sure not proper elephant elephant medicine.

I see old style cup and core round nose “solids” recommended in the same breath as the extreme criticism of the Cup Point Solid… huh? If anything those old cup and core, full patch, round nose “solids” are much more prone to erratic behavior than the monolithic Cup Point Solid by North Fork or certainly a well designed monolithic flat point. That round nose profile is prone to veering behavior and if it yaws too much, can bend or even shed the core.
And yet Another very Wise and well known by experience statement that also should be repeated, and recognized for its wisdom and advice. There are some very well placed individuals here, it would be to ones advantage to listen to them

Thank you @fourfive8

Elephant, only proper designed Flat Nose Solids should apply for this mission. End of Story.

No doubt about it, the North Fork CPS is not designed for this mission. This is a limited penetration solid, it is designed to maximize meplat size by fooling the medium or tissue that the bullet is actually bigger than it is. Made from Copper, the copper will flow when terminal penetration begins. The depth of penetration is limited by these factors. Coming into contact with heavy bone will distort the copper on the nose, and then all bets of straight line penetration are off. Even Solid Copper Bullets, will start to flow and move in tissue, the larger the caliber you get less distortion, but lesser calibers can distort even proper designed Flat Nose to the point that straight line penetration is effected, and depth as well. North Fork CPS are designed for First shots, or second shots on buffalo and other game to produce more trauma than a standard FN Solid, but not as much as a full premium or trauma inflicting bullet.

This is NOT a bullet for elephant

DSC05429-L.jpg

DSC05433-XL.jpg

DSC04546-L.jpg

DSC04549-L.jpg

I see Woodliegh Hydro Mentioned too....... This is also a "Limited Penetration Solid" and designed to cause Trauma up front by the design of the nose, very similar to the North Fork CPS. It also is not a deep diving solid in the traditional sense of the meaning...........It can also distort on the nose and move off course if heavy bone is contacted.

DSC05151-L.jpg

This is typical behavior of any and all Round Nose Solids..... so much so I quit testing on the range, they would exit the box, and do all sorts of damage to the range.........

DSC00326-L.jpg

DSC06280-L.jpg

Failures of a couple of bullets sent to me some years ago........

DSC02535-M.jpg

Now, compare these Properly Designed Flat Nose Solids, designed to penetrate Straight and Deep.....

DSCN3731-X2.jpg

DSC09679-L.jpg

DSC01842-M.jpg

DSCN3769-X2.jpg

DSC07521-L.jpg

DSC02279-L.jpg

DSC07762-L.jpg

DSC02911-M.jpg

DSC05854-L.jpg

DSC02925-XL.jpg

DSC08605-L.jpg

Does this help your understanding somewhat of just how designs work and what they do?

Limited Penetration Solids.....Designed to produce trauma up front, and also give good penetration. In Between Bullet, Not a Premium expanding, or Gen1 Gen II CNC Trauma Inflicting, and not a deep diving solid either.
North Fork CPS
Woodleigh
Lehigh Extreme Penetrater and Extreme Defense

Deep Diving Solids.....Designed to penetrate extreme depth and straight line penetration
CEB #13 Solids
North Fork Solids (newer Design similar to CEB)
Barnes FN Solids

@michael458 , you may have covered this before, but does your research show the cup point solids and woodleigh hydros to be of similar performance?
Yes Toby, I think I posted above before I saw this post, does that answer your question, or do we need more? North Fork and Hydro, limited penetration solids, not deep divers........

I’ve never understood the search for the latest and greatest solid. To my knowledge all of the modern solids work just fine.
To drive Deep and Mostly consistently straight. That is the "Search"....... Not all solids are created equal, and there is a tremendous amount of science behind the designs to achieve not only depth of penetration, but stability during terminal penetration, straight line penetration. It does you great disservice to fire a bullet at the mark, and the bullet veers off course missing its primary destination.

Meplat Size and Nose Profile is #1 and #2 of the Primary Factors of Solid Terminal Performance.

Stability and Straight Line Penetration........

Not all "Modern Solids" are created Equal

DSC04823-M.jpg

DSC04846_1-L.jpg

Old Style North Forks with straight Profile

DSC05696-L.jpg

DSC05428-L.jpg

DSC06035-L.jpg

DSC06037-L.jpg

And now, again, properly designed solids that are stable during terminal penetration because of meplat size and nose profile........... along with some other lesser factors.........

DSC02911-M.jpg

DSC07521-L.jpg

DSC07762-L.jpg

DSC07800-M.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MackPoate

Latest profile posts

matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.