A tick in the usa thats bite can basically turn you vegan...

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
I knew two people with this from a tick bite. They could eat chicken. I also have had patients with this. It has been around for years, I guess it is in the news due to rising cases?

My friend has a red meat allergy from the Lone Star Tick. He can eat chicken, turkey and deli style ham. All red meat will swell his face and throat and without medical care could cut off his airway.
1690621565530.png

A couple years or so ago, I was at an event where an infectious disease researcher from a major medical system gave a presentation on the potential impact of tick borne illnesses. Alpha-gal was her main area of research focus, I was able to talk to her for a while. She scared the living crap of me, then I saw the impact on my dad. For those of us how enjoy our hunting lifestyle, it could be a checkmate. My dad couldn't even eat grilled fish, if I cooked it on the same grill as beef or game. If I was grilling on grill on my stove top, he wold have to go sit outside on the deck, he couldn't even be in the house. Eating out because almost impossible. He went from eating red meat 365 days a year, to not being able to smell it.

Does anyone know if this starts to fade over time or does it become a life long condition? These ticks are supposedly in my area but I really only see deer ticks, however 20 years ago it was rare to see any tick now they are almost impossible to avoid. I’m glad there is permethrin.

Allergies can go away. I was taught about 10 years from exposure to the allergen , though I saw something about Alpa-Gal maybe going away at two.
If I experienced any such problem, I would be cautious.

We have boat loads of lone star ticks :(. I’ve already gotten STARI this past spring from the SOB’s. Ugh, welp time to spray the yard (already use DEET and permethrin like they are going out of style).

Does anyone know if this starts to fade over time or does it become a life long condition? These ticks are supposedly in my area but I really only see deer ticks, however 20 years ago it was rare to see any tick now they are almost impossible to avoid. I’m glad there is permethrin.

In many people it does fade over time.

My sister has been dealing with this for several years now.

One of the biggest problems she has is that many medicines and medical products contain mammal products and doctors aren’t used to this condition. They chart it like a food allergy to meat, and don’t check meds etc.

She had to have surgery on her foot, and the doctors lack of attention to her alpha gal caused all sorts of problems.

Fellow Hunters,

About 15 or so years ago, in Limpopo District, South Africa, my wife and myself were bitten by ticks a couple days before returning home.
The little creeps infected us with a version of Africa Tick Bite Fever that, gave us several not serious but quite annoying symptoms.
These included but we’re not limited to, nausea, headache, joint pain, eye sensitivity to sunlight and general lack of energy.

The strangest symptom this disease caused us, was that our general nausea was markedly increased by the smell of red meat, raw or cooked.
With that, this symptom was accompanied by a strong craving for green vegetables.
(I like BRICKBURN’s dubbing of “PETA Ticks).
The treatment was 10 mg of Doxycycline each day for 30 days and the disease was easily defeated.

Not sure if this treatment is appropriate for the disease this thread is about but perhaps it might be.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Prevention is the best solution. For ticks the best is to us a 0.5% solution of permethrin sprayed on your clothes and allowed to dry completely. I prefer to use the 36.8% permethrin SFR concentrate and dilute it down to 0.5% because it's less expensive than buying the Sawyer ready to use spray. This quart container costs around $30 USD and will make several gallons of the diluted spray. The Sawyer stuff is almost $1 per ounce. Caveat - some states in the US and CAN will not allow people to buy the concentrate unless they own livestock or meet some other exception.
1690751845452.png

Fellow Hunters,

About 15 or so years ago, in Limpopo District, South Africa, my wife and myself were bitten by ticks a couple days before returning home.
The little creeps infected us with a version of Africa Tick Bite Fever that, gave us several not serious but quite annoying symptoms.
These included but we’re not limited to, nausea, headache, joint pain, eye sensitivity to sunlight and general lack of energy.

The strangest symptom this disease caused us, was that our general nausea was markedly increased by the smell of red meat, raw or cooked.
With that, this symptom was accompanied by a strong craving for green vegetables.
The treatment was 10 mg of Doxycycline each day for 30 days and the disease was easily defeated.

Not sure if this treatment is appropriate for the disease this thread is about but perhaps it might be.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
I like taking doxycycline for malaria prevention in Africa for this reason as well, added protection from tick bites. It’s a similar treatment for Lyme disease. I think you mean 100 mg though.

I remember first hearing about this over a year ago on the Tim Ferriss podcast; in his interview with renowned futurist Jane McGonigal. If I remember the conversation correctly, I think she postulated that a tick-borne Alpha-gal pandemic would be the next "crisis" that the media would latch onto (although I don't think she necessarily believed it to be a true crisis).

I had a client several years ago that had this, but not to the point that he couldn’t sit in a BBQ restaurant. Had it for several years and I heard that a few trips to an acupuncturist finally cured it. Not sure about the “ science “ behind this, but he can eat all the red meat he wants to now.

Fellow Hunters,

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
Been there. Mostly my symptoms were serious fatigue and no appetite. Just felt "sick" until I discovered the site of bite on the back of left calf. There's still a scar and hole where I was bit. Doxycicline is the stuff! Stupid doc gave me the wrong prescription. It was the day before my daughter's wedding. Pharmacist called in a nurse practioner and he changed the prescription. Within hours I was perking up. Walked her down the aisle without stumbling once.
20220911_192024.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SabinaSnod

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.