Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA, ADA, ACTA, SCI
Hunted
Australia, NZ, RSA
A bit of a tounge in cheek 'report' of this mornings 'hunt'.

A crisp autumn morning here today, bit of a stiff southerly. The very cozy fire had the lazy, excuse filled part of the brain suggesting a morning indoors reading or the like.

Thankfully the primal hunting instinct prevailed and I was on my way, with the Highland Stalker (one culls a much better class of pest when one is using a Rigby ;)), sticks and fox whistle.

Gave spot one a good workout with the whistle, got laughed at by some Kookaburras, garnered some interest from a Wedgetail eagle circling overhead and unsettled a wallaby trying to have a quiet feed nearby, but no redcoats.

Tried a few other spots over the next couple of hours with no joy and had made to decision to head home when I encountered a curious kangaroo, staring intently at me from about 10m away, likely trying to work out what I was. While we were locked in our stare out, a fox broke from cover about 5m metres away, quickly disappearing into more cover. Just a blur, way too quick for me to get a shot off. Maybe the price I paid for momentary distraction.:rolleyes:

Continuing on my return, I spot something moving that looked white, odd, given no sheep on the property. Maybe an escapee lamb from a neighbours place? On checking with the binos, it was a fox, the lightest I’ve ever seen, light tan head, with an almost white body.

Sticks up, go to grab to range finder … to no avail … I’d neglected to bring it - another :rolleyes:.

I estimate range at about 200m and have a crack, clean miss, no splash seen. But probably low I think.

Fox runs briefly, but then relaxes again and offers another shot, I hold a bit higher - another clean miss and then some thick cover envelops it before I get another shot. :(

Turns out one misses a much better class of pest when one is using a Rigby.

With the walk of shame underway, I spot fox number 3 for the day, a bit closer, this time, he’s very relaxed, nonchalantly sniffing around for breakfast or morning tea, but moving toward cover.

Sticks up, bang, thwack.

Finally!

They say everyone loves a good redemption story. :ROFLMAO:

Rigby HS fox.jpg

The state government here has a $10 per head fox bounty, so I've probably even just about covered my consumable costs for the morning :ROFLMAO:.

By way of a deferential nod to the gin and watch threads :ROFLMAO: ...

Post stalk drink was South African John Ross Virgin Distilled Botanical with fresh mint from the garden and a stale lime from the supermarket :ROFLMAO:

The Mary.jpg

Watch was Citizen Promaster Altichron (important to be able to identify North and determine altitude when culling pests) :ROFLMAO:

altichron.jpg

AAR points:
Bring rangefinder
Maintain focus
:ROFLMAO:

What scope does one run on a Rigby for dispatching such exotic imported pests.

What scope does one run on a Rigby for dispatching such exotic imported pests.
Exotic imported pests deserve exotic imported optics :ROFLMAO:

Swaro Z3 4-12x50 in this case

Exotic imported pests deserve exotic imported optics :ROFLMAO:

Swaro Z3 4-12x50 in this case
Good choice for an all rounder

What cartridge is your Rigby culling rifle chambered for?

Great story for an early morning. Thank you. Love the hat and the drink tumbler as well.

Great story for an early morning. Thank you. Love the hat and the drink tumbler as well.
Thanks @Red Leg - a bit of light reading for the viewers.(y)

I rate those great retro 20's / 30's tumbers as my all time favourite purchase from K-mart. I need to get more before they discontinue them.

@R eight - I'm a bit self conscious about the chambering ... it lacks the romance and charm of the .275 ... but I make do with my mighty .308 Win - it was a deal I couldn't walk past.

@Sika98k yes - great plains game scope I think.

Last edited:
I don't always drink gin, but when I do, I am more of a Baccarat fan myself. :cool:

That said, I am going to start checking out area thrift stores. The blue light special has slipped into extinction in these parts, but its products may still remain.

I am going to start checking out area thrift stores.
Funny you mention that - I looked for about a year at thrift stores (we call them 'Op Shops' here (short for 'Opportunity') - looking for cool old retro tumbler / hi balls with vertical fluting - without sucess and stumbled on them quite by accident.

Thanks @Red Leg - a bit of light reading for the viewers.(y)

I rate those great retro 20's / 30's tumbers as my all time favourite purchase from K-mart. I need to get more before they discontinue them.

@R eight - I'm a bit self conscious about the chambering ... it lacks the romance and charm of the .275 ... but I make do with my mighty .308 Win - it was a deal I couldn't walk past.

@Sika98k yes - great plains game scope I think.

I have romantic notions of classic rifles and classic chambering’s but my decisions come down to budget and practical choices.

The mighty .308 gets it done every day of the week and it’s a great choice for Australia

Nice glass, and zoom range that pairs nicely with the rifle and chambering.

I enjoy doing the same thing with my selfbows. Just stump shooting. No real plan. Just walking and stalking. An excuse to take a bow or rifle for a walk.

A bit of a Rigby walk tonight.

Using one English import to deal with another English import :ROFLMAO:

Rigby spotligh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiamhEngla

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.