A Rifle Related Question For American Bear Hunters

If I still ate black bears I would happily shoot one with my Pedersoli Kodiak. Thought about taking it moose hunting, but the Fauci flu is kicking my butt.

I'm not an expert in this field, not by any means. I booked a Griz hunt in Yukon and it will be my first experience in Bear hunting.
But my idea about, is that in gran part of bear hunting in the upper North, you simply don't know in advance how far your bear will show. I guess an everage shot at Interior Grizzly Bears - or "Mountain" Bears as someone call them - would be everything between 100 and 200 yrds. Too much for an express rifle.
Sure, it would be wise to close the distance. But I guess, be able to reach it at 150/200 yrds would be fine in such open country.
Even Kodiak Bears are often shot at distances that exceed by far the reach of a side by side gun.
So, in addition to cost or other "historic" or "social" considerations, simply the distance - or better yet the necessity of being very accurate at that distance - would explain the greater success of bolt action rifles.

Money, Tradition, and Distance...

- Americans can own as many guns as they can afford, so why spend a fortune on a double when you could buy at least 10 other guns for the same money.

- The double has never been a tradition here. Big-bore lever actions, bolt actions and even semi-autos (Even .50 BMG) can quickly deliver many more than 2 shots.

- IMO, there has never been the need for a stopping rifle with bears, the way there has been the need for a stopper with buffalo. A high-powered, scoped bolt action, lever action, or semi-auto can provide a great deal of close range stopping power.

Heck, where I live, there is NO-LIMIT on the amount of ammo that can be in the magazine of a high-powered rifle or shotgun when hunting big-game animals.

Poton, great info on here. My personal experiences include two Kodiak hunts. Ranges were typically 100-250 yards. I was with a total of 5 guides with other clients. The guides all carried 375 H&H, 340 Weatherby, 338 Winchester and 416 Remington Magnum bolt guns. Ideal distance for brown bear I was told was 75-100 yards. Far enough you could get multiple shots with a bolt gun if charged.
I had one 8’+ bear walking right to left at less than 30 yards. My guide wouldn’t let me shoot it because it was too close and hadn’t winded us.

Ive hunted black bear in the Rocky Mountains and Alaska. 30 caliber is my caliber and 30-06 in particular. Where I hunt you either have to spot and stalk to within range (typically less than 200 yards), or call them in to any distance.

I just don’t see the practical use for a double rifle for most of my bear hunting. Admittedly sitting alone in the woods calling a hungry predatory beast 3-4 times my size and wanting to eat something can be a bit nerve intense.:eek:

My only alaskan brown bear was at 13 yards, but I had Leupold 2-7x Firedot scope on my rifle. We surprised each other.

i think it was elmer keith who wrote he killed a large bear comming at him head on very close by shooting(3006) the left or right shoulder , causeing it to veer to the side and then shooting it broadside. EK was a well know shootest-hunter here in the US and world wide from the 20,s untill his death.
@leslie hetrick
Good 'ol Elmer shot his world record bear using a 35 Whelen loaded with 275gn grain copper clad projectiles.
Elmer was a great believer in heavy for caliber projectiles.
Bob

Stainless steel is the way to go considering the weather where the big ones live. Also the repeating arms double for military purposes in the event a well-trained militia is required.

Kid died this morning.
Where did you see that? Neither ADN nor KTUU are reporting that the child died and both have been updated within the hour. Nor does the Trooper website list the child as having died. Not disputing you but just wondering where you got your info.

Heard it on the radio this morning, KENI I think. Of course, they could be wrong.

And I might have misunderstook them, you know how it is listening in traffic...

Last edited:
I have shot over a dozen Black Bears using 30-06, 35 Whelen, 375 HH, bow, many of witch were taken in wet weather all kill quickly with good bullet placement. 1st Grizzly with a 330 Dakota 2nd with a 375HH, if I had a double rifle i would of still used a bolt gun.my thinking is a double rifle is perfect for dangerous game and dry weather.

I have shot over a dozen Black Bears using 30-06, 35 Whelen, 375 HH, bow, many of witch were taken in wet weather all kill quickly with good bullet placement. 1st Grizzly with a 330 Dakota 2nd with a 375HH,

like all things hunting, good bullet placement trumps all things. each rifle you mentioned was appropriate for the bear you shot.

a double rifle in the right caliber would work fine, scoped of course. that said, a steady diet of coastal bear hunting in alaska would be hard on a double long term. (blued/wood) when they make a double in stainless in the right caliber (over and under for me) i would be interested!

Where did you see that? Neither ADN nor KTUU are reporting that the child died and both have been updated within the hour. Nor does the Trooper website list the child as having died. Not disputing you but just wondering where you got your info.
watching KTUU, they said the 9 year old that was attacked was in fair condition, just now.

Heard it on the radio this morning, KENI I think. Of course, they could be wrong.

And I might have misunderstook them, you know how it is listening in traffic...
That makes sense. I checked with contacts I have and the boy was transported from Mat Su to Harborview in Seattle. He's in serious condition but is expected to survive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandy75942

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt