A pair of custom Mannlichers for Africa

Jefferry404

AH veteran
Reaction score
Not sure I will ever get there to hunt (did spend 5 weeks camping safari in Kenya), but if I do...
I was lucky to find a Bastogne blank (looks more Claro than English) that was mannlicher length, one end 10.25" wide! and the gunsmith was able to carved them from the same blank, same direction.
7x57 Mauser on GMA short action and 9.3x62 Mauser on GMA g33/40 action, integral octagon barrels with NECG adjustable front sight bead, Turnbull case colored with Dakota Arms steel buttplate, Schmidt and Bender scopes with Talley CZ rings. I know a bit long (19.5") but wanted the wood...
1cheek_full_noscope.jpg

2quarter_rib.jpg

3fsight_detail.jpg

4buttplate_both.jpg

5bolt_side_fullscope.jpg

6action_bridges.jpg

and last, but not least...

7_7mm target.jpg

Goodness, gracious, those are beautiful rifles! And what a perfect pairing of calibers! Whether you make it to Africa with them someday or not, I wish you many many years of enjoyment shooting and admiring them. And that is very cool that the gunsmith was able to carve both stocks from the same blank. They look like true treasures. Congrats! :)

pretty rifles!
Thanks much. You know, they are to pretty for those workhorse calibers. I have a 404 Jeffery from same wood supplier (woodnut in Grass Valley, CA) that is also to nice:)
I might need some forum help on selecting wood for a pair of big bores as I am leaning to the plainer blanks but they’re something about over doing the stocks on big bores as well.
Excellent! Who provided the rear sights?
Good eye. To be honest, I do not know. I have never seen that style with 1 folding and asked the gunsmith (we have a tight relationship) but he did not say, maybe he made them? So I did not pursue… yet:)

Nice! Thanks.

Absolutely beautiful. I love full stocks and octagonal barrels and great great wood and calibers.

Nice! Thanks for sharing

Very nice!!!

Very nice! Perfect cartridge selections for the mannlichers!

Stunning!!! True works of art in two of the most practical (and functuonal) calibers you could have chosen!!! Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful, practical,

Personally I would prefer a non fold down rear sight, unless the sight interferes with the scopes.

This is a very classy and well executed pair of rifles. I love everything about them.
Very well done!

Stunning rifles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yreywretsw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]