A modernized 416

SoVa

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I made a post a while back debating between the 375 and 416 ruger. I have settled on the 416 ruger for the caliber however I have decided to steer away from the ruger rifle. I was planning to get the Alaskan version and replace the stock and have it cerakoted then I found out they use a super odd barrel thread pattern. I decided by the time I do all that I could just build a rifle.

I know there is an age old debate between CRF and PF actions. I have decided to stick with Push feed because it’s what I’m used to, the option to use a detachable mag more easily and the ability to single feed without pushing the round into the magazine for pickup.

I was just wondering if anyone else has done a more modern take on a dangerous game rifle. I plan to use a weatherby 307 long action with a magnum bolt face, I’m debating between a McMillan safari pattern stock or a peak 44 sawtooth stock, 20” bartlein barrel with 5r rifling. I will add a couple of quick detach non rotating sling points on either stock, muzzle brake and suppressor.

The uses will be hunting taking it to Alaska for a bear gun, American Bison and Cape buffalo. I am just looking for photos and inspiration from anyone else who has built a modernized dangerous game rifle. Thanks!

While not a dangerous game caliber, I just built this 340 Weatherby for an up coming Alaska brown bear hunt.

Big Horn/Zermatt Arms TL3 LA Magnum bolt face. CRF
Manners PH stock with mini chassis
Preferred Barrel Blanks prefit 20inch carbon barrel
MDT DBM

While I certainly admire the classic African rifles, I really like the modern builds and am very comfortable with them. I’m already thinking about ordering a 375 H&H barrel to swap out along with a new suppressor and have my dangerous game rifle too.

Attachments

• 34A639DC-2F9D-49AA-9A8B-823090DF130F.jpeg
    34A639DC-2F9D-49AA-9A8B-823090DF130F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
How light is that tripod?
While not a dangerous game caliber, I just built this 340 Weatherby for an up coming Alaska brown bear hunt.

Big Horn/Zermatt Arms TL3 LA Magnum bolt face. CRF
Manners PH stock with mini chassis
Preferred Barrel Blanks prefit 20inch carbon barrel
MDT DBM

While I certainly admire the classic African rifles, I really like the modern builds and am very comfortable with them. I’m already thinking about ordering a 375 H&H barrel to swap out along with a new suppressor and have my dangerous game rifle too.

I have a synthetic AHR in .416 Ruger and had a .375 H&H built on a LAW action. Both are awesome. I have a .340 Weatherby on an Ed Brown action that is my 14 year old daughters favorite rifle. :)

Last edited:
I have built multiple rifles and am going to recommend you get away from the weatherby 307 if you want to customize it, they set that rifle up to be what people customize the rem 700 into. There are much much better actions on the market that have pre fit barrels widely available like bighorn, defiance, terminus. Take a look at the blaser r8, for the amount of money you’re going to put into a semi custom build you would have a gun where you can quickly change between a wide variety of calibers. I’m not trying to talk you out of building a gun as I am currently doing one myself, once you dive into the rabbit hole it gets very very pricy

Gonna be following this, I've been wondering what improvements could be made to DG setups as well

Blaser R8 in 416 rem mag
U get a choice of stocks
U get a removable magazine
U get quality, reliability , accuracy
And u can add barrels
Etc etc

I’m not 100% tied to the weatherby action and am familiar with all the brands mentioned. I’ll be buying a complete 307 alpine CT in 300prc and was going to buy the builders action for this project so I would have continuity between the two and I like that their bolts can be disassembled for cleaning with no tools but I will take a second look at some of the other actions before I buy anything.

I have always been a weatherby fan so that plays a part as well.

As for the r8 recommendations I know that they are good rifles but I don’t care for them so they are not really up for consideration.

@jaydoc12 that is a fantastic looking rifle! @RR 314 do you have any photos of your 416 that you’re willing to share?

If you stick with 416 Ruger, when you see brass in stock, you should probably buy a couple hundred of them so you're set for life. You could always convert 375 Ruger brass, but you might run into a mismatched barrel vs head stamp issue with certain African customs officers.

When they originally came out, I thought Hornady and Ruger had done a great thing, and I still do. But the lack of brass available for both is troubling, and only likely to get worse. @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS has the right of it, I think. 416 Rem Mag has shown staying power, 416 Ruger just hasn't.

Modernized? Try a Lazzeroni 10.57 Meteor. It’s a belt free equivalent of the 416 Weatherby with 30 deg shoulders. Same with the 9.53 (375) Saturn. John makes a pretty solid custom rifle (for long range), I believe using Sako actions these days. However, they would probably fit your Weatherby action (and be cheaper than getting a custom Lazzeroni).

Now for standard ammo you can keep shooting, well then 416 Rem. I’m a huge fan.

Ok I’ll bite. Does anyone have any performance info on the 416 rem mag using a 18 or 20” barrel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sebastien22836

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.