A great gift for a great dad

I may go the custom knife route. He has a ton of knives and always seems to have a new one to field dress his deer each season.
There are lots of custom makers to choose from. With that budget you can get some incredible knives.

There are lots of custom makers to choose from. With that budget you can get some incredible knives.
Absolutely, he has never had a custom knife made. I think that would be a great project. He also is a knife snob lol. He gives me a hard time when I pull out my Havalon. I’m from the replacement blade generation. He is from the generation that sharpens a knife while watching a ball game.

How is he set for binos?? I feel like some decent binos can be had within your budget.

I think a custom sling would be pretty cool.

Absolutely, he has never had a custom knife made. I think that would be a great project. He also is a knife snob lol. He gives me a hard time when I pull out my Havalon. I’m from the replacement blade generation. He is from the generation that sharpens a knife while watching a ball game.
If you’re considering a custom knife, I’ve found the best knives for the money are the South African makers. They tend to use good stainless steels with natural handle materials including some African bone/horn. My favorite of these is Shaun Bruwer. If you message me, I could send you some pictures.

VonGruff's latest creation.

1717160340219.jpeg

Some knives I bought for gifts
1717160806995.jpeg

A set of kitchen knives I bought for my wife. Have had them about 5 years now and still look new! Just sharpen them every so often.

1717160914524.jpeg

Speaking from the perspective of an older dad with charges ranging from 2 years old to 21, I would suggest some set-aside time spent together. Time is a gift that can’t be replaced or retrieved.

Does he fish as well as hunting?
Magazine subscription or a good book? I’ll bet sue Tidwell would make a nice note in one of hers for your dad

Check out Randall Knives. You can find a nice one in that range, and it's hard to beat their craftsmanship.

Does he fish as well as hunting?
Magazine subscription or a good book? I’ll bet sue Tidwell would make a nice note in one of hers for your dad
He doesn’t fish much unless I call him up to go out. I bought a boat in 2020. We go out at least a dozen times each year.

I would advise against a super nice knife. I have one and am afraid to use it and it just sits in my dresser drawer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportsmkcom

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]