A good old buffalo

Myself and three good friends went there and took 12 buffalo between us, three of which were scrum caps! You can see the video on Youtube, look up Tim Herald Hunting.

Speaking of which... Tim Herald just dropped a new Uganda video and he takes yet another Scrum Cap bull.

Speaking of which... Tim Herald just dropped a new Uganda video and he takes yet another Scrum Cap bull.

Can't wait to watch this video. I flew into hunt this area the day Tim was flying out, I got to see him for a few minutes at the small airstrip. My guide said Tim took 7 buffalo that week, that had to be awesome!!

This might make someone angry. I feel as if the Safari industry is feeding hunters propaganda to pay high rates for subpar buffalo. By using the phrase Dagga Boy. I might have misspelled that.
Kinda like “GREEN” or “Carbon Neutral” being used as feel good words to sale crappy products. Wouldn’t an Average healthy example be better than a wore out broken old bull ?? Like selling cull cows as prime beef. I’m sure he needed culling. But don’t you think CULL is the keyword. Not putting down the man’s trophy just the industry’s propaganda.

This might make someone angry. I feel as if the Safari industry is feeding hunters propaganda to pay high rates for subpar buffalo. By using the phrase Dagga Boy. I might have misspelled that.
Kinda like “GREEN” or “Carbon Neutral” being used as feel good words to sale crappy products. Wouldn’t an Average healthy example be better than a wore out broken old bull ?? Like selling cull cows as prime beef. I’m sure he needed culling. But don’t you think CULL is the keyword. Not putting down the man’s trophy just the industry’s propaganda.
Some prefer horn size some prefer past breeding old age even if both horns are broken off and worn away bosses........I prefer old age......
No propaganda it is each individuals own choice after all.....

Nope. Age trumps inches of horn every time. The practice of shooting the largest horns has killed far too many younger, breading age bulls. On fenced properties I don’t care what they shoot. They are their animals to utilize as they see fit. In free range areas, a Dugga Boy (or Dagga Boy depending upon the dialect spoken there) that’s no longer a breeder is the best trophy to take.

I get the point of hunting for the oldest one you can find , I personally would love to do a triple buffalo hunt, 1. Old dragon of a cow , one like my avatar pic , and a scrum , maybe I can find some time and money to
Do a no exportable in Namibia or zim
Uganda is a dream hunt for me with multiple bulls on the ticket ( it’s just so out of my league though on total price , but a poor boy has to “ endeavor to persevere “ maybe one day?)

Last edited:
Have you ever hunted buffalo? You choose the area and outfitter then tell the PH what you want for a trophy. Some want a wide buffalo, some want the oldest buffalo, some want something else. It’s a discussion between you and PH. No one made the hunter choose this bull, I’d personally pass looking for a bull with better trophy characteristics. However a 40” 8 year old bull with pointy tips and little wear isn’t nearly the trophy to me a 40” 12 year old bull that’s worn down his tips and broken up his boss. Dagga boy doesn’t mean the bull isn’t a great trophy. It means it’s a past breeding bull that’s broken off from the herd. By hunting true dagga boys one you’re letting younger breeding bulls with good genetics breed, but two you aren’t disrupting herd structure making them more susceptible to lions. It’s sad if a hunter doesn’t put any value towards conservation and instead calls it industry propaganda.

Funny thing in this case as well, I have a strong suspicion this bull was taken as an own use animal not an exportable trophy. If that is the case, the cost would be less than half an exportable trophy bull which would really make your comments out of place.

I would take this buffalo any day over any 40+" buff.
To me this is a dream buffalo.

That's exactly the kind I want!

Congratulations to the Hunter, wonderful old Cape Buffalo!

Absolutely love scrum caps... I've seen six in 30 safaris! Passed one in 2017 in Aswa Lolim, Uganda and immediately regretted it but I was hunting my first Nile buff and wanted a good one. Went back to Uganda, this time in Karamoja and I took one in 2020. Myself and three good friends went there and took 12 buffalo between us, three of which were scrum caps! You can see the video on Youtube, look up Tim Herald Hunting. You can stumble across one anywhere but if I really wanted one, I would head back to Karamoja. Nothing is guaranteed but I would give it the best odds considering the number of buff you will look at...

Is Tim Herald a member on the forum?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TammaraLea

Latest profile posts

Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles