A Funny Thing Happened on my way to Dinner…

Well I promised to provide a follow-up. This gun arrived today. There were some unanticipated delays in shipping. So here is the macro:

1) 24 hours to get the US import permit
2) Roughly 5 weeks to get the UK export permit
3) 3 1/2 months from purchase to receipt. About one month of this was self inflicted as I had the gun stripped, inspected, barrel wall thickness checked to confirm proof, bores polished, a leather covered recoil pad installed, and my family coat of arms engraved on the stock oval.
4) A total cost for permits, shipping, etc. $1,400. Higher than originally thought due to higher shipping charges.

I know much has been said about how difficult this process is. That is simply not true. It is certainly more involved than it was when you could do a carry home, but it is not a daunting process at all. I am still well in the money on this gun, having bought it very, very well.

Wonderful gamegun!

Reactions: WAB
Well I promised to provide a follow-up. This gun arrived today. There were some unanticipated delays in shipping. So here is the macro:

1) 24 hours to get the US import permit
2) Roughly 5 weeks to get the UK export permit
3) 3 1/2 months from purchase to receipt. About one month of this was self inflicted as I had the gun stripped, inspected, barrel wall thickness checked to confirm proof, bores polished, a leather covered recoil pad installed, and my family coat of arms engraved on the stock oval.
4) A total cost for permits, shipping, etc. $1,400. Higher than originally thought due to higher shipping charges.

I know much has been said about how difficult this process is. That is simply not true. It is certainly more involved than it was when you could do a carry home, but it is not a daunting process at all. I am still well in the money on this gun, having bought it very, very well.
Nice! Would love to see the coat of arms picture on rifle

Image1709155831.529207.jpg
Image1709155858.704123.jpg
Image1709155871.027579.jpg
Image1709155883.817640.jpg

Range report:

Initial firing with my 3/4 oz reloads resulted in stiff opening due to pin drag on the primers. I visited with JJ Perodeau and he felt that it was likely a minor timing issue. Stuck in the back of my mind somewhere was the thought that W209 primers (which I was using) were soft. I called Carl Russell and he confirmed that the gun functioned flawlessly when he test fired it in England. I sourced some Remington primers, known to be much harder than Winchester, and the problem was solved. The gun functions flawlessly and is absolutely deadly with my 3/4 oz reloads.

I will load 1 oz of English 6’s for larger birds but stick to 3/4 oz 8’s for the wild quail on our farm.

All in all, this begs the question of future imports. I saw a cased, matched pair of 20 ga. BLE’s with 30” tubes on my last trip across the pond…

Range report:

Initial firing with my 3/4 oz reloads resulted in stiff opening due to pin drag on the primers. I visited with JJ Perodeau and he felt that it was likely a minor timing issue. Stuck in the back of my mind somewhere was the thought that W209 primers (which I was using) were soft. I called Carl Russell and he confirmed that the gun functioned flawlessly when he test fired it in England. I sourced some Remington primers, known to be much harder than Winchester, and the problem was solved. The gun functions flawlessly and is absolutely deadly with my 3/4 oz reloads.

I will load 1 oz of English 6’s for larger birds but stick to 3/4 oz 8’s for the wild quail on our farm.

All in all, this begs the question of future imports. I saw a cased, matched pair of 20 ga. BLE’s with 30” tubes on my last trip across the pond…
Try Chedite primers.

Can you somehow clean the dirt off the suede box ?

It’s canvas, and it’s more wear than dirt. I could have it rebuilt, but it’s not really worth it. This is just an honest working gun, not a high end gun.

Now that I have a good understanding of the new (to me) import process, there are likely to be more, and those of a higher grade.

Very elegant. Those 3/4oz loads should be a pleasure to shoot. Congratulations

A matched pair of 20's would look really good beside that one.

A matched pair of 20's would look really good beside that one.

Dave, you are spot on. I was drooling over a cased pair of Birmingham BLE’s with 30” tubes on my last trip over. If they are still there next month there may be an addendum to this thread.

My great grandfather was a gunmaker in Birmingham. I wish I knew who he worked for. It would be amazing to own a gun he worked on.

Very nice shotgun!
Your reloads, 3/4 oz #8, and 1 oz #6. Are the same loads l shoot out of my 28 gauge. Great loads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodGirardi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia