A cautionary tale - Traveling with ammunition in luggage

Few years ago I travelled with friends to Namibia. At the departure airport (Munich), we protected with sellotape the locks of the rifle cases. The idea was to prevent accidental opening due to hits.
The remaining sellotape was in someone backpack, small and light enough to be a legal hand baggage.
When leaving Windhoek the security officer confiscated the tape roll.
It seems that some explosives can be shaped like a wide sellotape, but I doubt that they can be reduced to the same thickness.

its defiantly not enough to get them arrested, but i am not gonna blame all of it on the authorities.. making a trip of sort should be prepared for. there were just uninformed and i feel that's why this is happening

This happens in MX all the time. I’ve seen it twice. One was an American desert sheep guide from AZ. It took a lot of money to get him out of MX jail. I think it was $13k.
Yep, knew a mobile boat mechanic who did a job near the border, and decided to go eat dinner in Mexico, lost his truck , tools everything, and spent 2-3 weeks in Mexican jail .
I never drive in to Mexico without spend A few days cleaning every nook and cranny

Hard to figure. Going through the airport in Eugene OR awhile ago with a brother, had a P-38 can opener in his wallet from fishing/ camping, TSA caught that. That is a small scrap of metal

I had a TSA agent question me about a P-38 that I've carried on my keychain for most of my life. When he asked me what it was, I told him it was a an opener. Luckily, just as that was happening, another TSA agent walked up and heard the conversation and explained to his co-worker that I was telling the truth and told me to move along, making nothing more of the incident.

Wow, you guys need to move to America, which arguably is getting smaller and smaller,

That’s insane. I’ve carried one on my key chain since ‘74 and never been questioned anywhere.

I shake out my backpack, do a check on pockets etc. and then throw most of my stuff into my pelican case. All ammo and empties I leave to avoid any potential problems and it helps my PH too. Last month was my 3rd trip through OR Tambo and I ran into a snag. Bought a new backpack and used it for my daypack during hunts but also as my carry-on, it has a weird back, inner pocket that somehow an empty 375 case had fell into. On my way back the airport security caught it, I knew this was going to be a hassle so I tucked 1,200 Rand into the outer pocket of the backpack and then my problem magically disappeared and I was on my way. Lesson learned - check everything twice and I might get a second pack just for hunting. Could have been a much bigger PITA

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sherlene05

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.