9x57 Mauser for plains game?

I have an original 1912 Oberndorf Mauser chambered in 9x57 that I am restoring. If it is a good shooter, I am thinking it would be a good option for plains game. If not, possibly rebore to 9.3x62? Any advice or thoughts are welcome! Many thanks!

9x57. 9.3x57, 9.5x57. They should all be wonderful calibers for close range work in the bush on plains game. Not your best choice for 250 yard shots on springbok, but that would be a wonderful choice for a 120 yard shot on a big kudu bull or a zebra.

You've got great taste.

To the OP, I'd try to find some unmarked brass to resize and load. I wouldn't roll into zimbabwe with necked up brass headstamped 8x57. I'm sure you could find good brass that lacks a nomenclature on it. I'd then just print up a nice decal for the ammo boxes that state 9x57 all over it so you don't run into any customs issues.

Nobody even looked at my ammunition. That said, I'm not giving anybody any excuses to make trouble.
Agreed. I always comply with their laws and don’t want to take any chances. That’s usually why when I hunt in Africa, I take a rifle in a caliber that is common even over there. Good chance you’ll find a box of 30-06, .375 H&H, .458 Win mag, or .470NE lying around most safari camps in case your ammo never arrives.

9x57. 9.3x57, 9.5x57. They should all be wonderful calibers for close range work in the bush on plains game. Not your best choice for 250 yard shots on springbok, but that would be a wonderful choice for a 120 yard shot on a big kudu bull or a zebra.

You've got great taste.
Thank you. I’ve been a fan of the Oberndorf Mauser for many years. One of the best platforms for a custom rifle or, if in good original shape, a true joy to hunt with and carry afield!

Check if it is .355 or .357 rifling .

If .357 , the ø358s will be good with a 250 grain.
I have a Mannlicher Schoenauer in 9x56ms. Definitely have the bore slugged as shooting 358 bullets in a 355 or smaller bore will raise pressures. My 1905 taught me a lot more about reloading than I ever would have imagined. Turned out my bore was 353. I ended up buying a custom made swaging die to squeeze 358 down to 353. It is pure poison on deer and wild boar.I would think it will work very well on plains game. Enjoy the journey it is worth all the headaches. What are the sights on your Mauser?

I know Buffalo Arms loads .356 bullets, both RN and Spitzers for it on proper head stamped brass. It would be a neat gun for medium/short range in heavy bush. Might add a low power scope in quick detachable mounts, just in case.
You can get properly head stamped brass from Quality Cartridge to reload. Not cheap but if going to Africa it may save you some problems.

I have a Mannlicher Schoenauer in 9x56ms. Definitely have the bore slugged as shooting 358 bullets in a 355 or smaller bore will raise pressures. My 1905 taught me a lot more about reloading than I ever would have imagined. Turned out my bore was 353. I ended up buying a custom made swaging die to squeeze 358 down to 353. It is pure poison on deer and wild boar.I would think it will work very well on plains game. Enjoy the journey it is worth all the headaches. What are the sights on your Mauser?
Thanks for the information. It has a banded rear island sight paired with a front bead.

I was having trouble picking up the bead in the rear sight so I did this.
8F596A37-6724-49DB-B844-A430F2814127.jpeg

If your rifle does shoot something besides .358 diameter, and you should check it, then Hawke bullets will make a batch just to fit whatever you have!

I have an original 1912 Oberndorf Mauser chambered in 9x57 that I am restoring. If it is a good shooter, I am thinking it would be a good option for plains game. If not, possibly rebore to 9.3x62? Any advice or thoughts are welcome! Many thanks!
@drbeech1968
Should be a great plains game rifle. It's up there with the 358 Winchester and no one complains about its capabilities.
Bob

Any reason to get closer to game for the shot is a good reason. I bet that rifle would be great fun to hunt with and create its own unique challenge for an experienced hunter. Go for it!

Seems a lot like muzzleloader hunting. Get close, take a good shot and enjoy the hunt.

I'm in the camp of leaving it 9x57. If the bore is good leave it. If the bore is bad it will probably need a new barrel. I think 9.1 indicates nominal diameter and should be .358". Graf and Sons shows dies in stock- https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/15669

Plenty of 35 caliber bullets available. If unsure of bore and groove diameters, simply drive a 40 cal soft lead slug through an oiled bore and measure. Quality Cartridge lists 9x57 brass but probably need to call for availability or time to make some. @rookhawk posted the perfect description of best use.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 6.41.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 6.41.52 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 6.41.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 6.41.55 AM.png
    829.3 KB · Views: 41
@drbeech1968 I hope your rifle is a good shooter, and in good shape. If so, it would be a delight in Africa. Holding a fine rifle with a bit of nostalgic history while hunting is like holding a pretty girl.....the entire experience is better. It would be a challenge to "rebore" most of these (1/100 of an inch) even though it could be done. I would encourage you to slug the bore if there is any question, as some have been known to take a considerably smaller bullet (eg .353 even). And FWIW you will find vastly different hunting styles reflected in the responses......some only interested in the score, and others more on how the game was played. My Uncle Bob accompanied me to Namibia, and he took a .358 Win. Very similar in performance. It was a marvelous trip, and took some fine trophies including the tough ones: Blue, Zebra and Oryx. Probably light for Eland, but that was not his quarry. Still, he harvested a Bonanza with the little 358 and I expect you can as well..........all the best..................FWB
Bob's your uncle!

I’ve attached a few pictures of the 9x57 I mentioned earlier in this thread. The stock was soaked in oil and cracked, so putting some new wood on it. I do most of the stock finishing myself, save the checkering, who I leave to the experts! Love these old warhorse Mausers!

3CAAD67D-1ABF-40F9-B064-B3ABCF5143C3.jpeg
25D48FD3-F27A-4CB6-99E4-C303C8DB87EF.jpeg
1C17877B-00E8-46FF-A704-90965AD2F75B.jpeg
22D31AED-3249-42A2-849A-6F67EFBEAFB2.jpeg
30D8C51D-8AD0-478C-80A8-BD758F149CDA.jpeg
7EE1EA66-F968-4152-BBC7-3BCAED876EE4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve attached a few pictures of the 9x57 I mentioned earlier in this thread. The stock was soaked in oil and cracked, so putting some new wood on it. I do most of the stock finishing myself, save the checkering, who I leave to the experts! Love these old warhorse Mausers!
Apologies for the ads from Graf & Sons!! I didn’t realize I attached them to the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorrineCre

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!