.920 approx bore single shot flintlock

Furharvester

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
USA
Another rifle that my grandfather had. Just looking for information on it. So far I believe it’s Belgium made around 1800. It is approximately a 6 gauge/bore smooth bore gun.

D8825514-3D6B-4ECC-8AE8-056204C1410B.jpeg
A05D4BFD-B8DE-4C59-9106-19CD95D6B6FD.jpeg
4C25CB03-F2C1-4AA1-B788-7CDABCA87852.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's a old bugger there, not my field, but folks would need to know weight & length.

Could be what is called a Wall Gun or Rampart Gun, does it show any signs of a mounting ?

Might be a little small in bore size for that & I see it has sling eyes ?

I'll have to get measurements of it tonight or tomorrow.

I see that GL & the Bee better now, I had some thing from them years back, I think it was a revolver made in Belgium for a English maker but can't remember it right now .

Whatever it is, its pretty cool! Looks like something they used to mount to a boat to shoot waterfowl with, but as mentioned, there are sling eyes.

Wow that's a old bugger there, not my field, but folks would need to know weight & length.

Could be what is called a Wall Gun or Rampart Gun, does it show any signs of a mounting ?

Might be a little small in bore size for that & I see it has sling eyes ?
It could well be a Wall/Rampart Gun with that bore. A better shot of the butt would help; if it seems stumpy and extra-thick at the wrist, chances are it may have been intended for mounted use like that with a heavy charge. Alternatively it could be a sort of lighter punt gun, as @R.M.C. suggests.

Some German muskets & Wallbuechsen (not my photo) at Schloss Gottorf, Schleswig, for reference:
1672537227076.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.50.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.50.35 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.50.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.50.37 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
It appears to be an old Belgian colonial elephant gun based on a couple of others I found. See this old GI listing:

View attachment 508517

Well done the very same type of rifle I would say that has the GL & Bee, if we had photos like that I would of guessed early Elephant Gun as used by Selous but these could of started life as Punt Guns or Rampart Guns also ?

Last edited:
It's a smoothbore Roer, as used by the Dutch Boer Voortrekkers until the 1840s. Then, percussion cap firearms took their place. The charge was a 3 ounce spherical lead ball and a handful of coarse black powder.

Had to work a double last night guys and then be back to work today for my regular shift so i only had a chance to take one quick picture of the stock of the gun. I'll try to take more and better pictures tonight after I get home.

stock.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful rifle seriously but I wouldn't shoot it. How many shots before you get a concussion lol.

Approximately 10 lbs
34 inch barrel
51 inches overall

These are the measurements I said I would get and didn’t

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anton12345

Latest posts