9.3X72

I know metric sizes are similar, but using imperial measurement equivalent analogies helps illustrate the difference:

9.3x72R is an extinct cartridge we only own if we like drillings. Think of it as a 30-30 or 38-55. Since black powder is so corrosive we generally don’t want to use it in drilling’s or vierlings worth $3000-$8000 since there are other components of a complex gun to think about.

9.3x74r is a current cartridge equivalent to 9.3x62 so think of it as a 375HH. Loading it with blackpowder sounds like a lot of work to neuter it’s abilities needlessly while creating a mess to clean up on a valuable rifle.

Keep in mind, I’m biased against tinkering in general and if everyone thought like me the world would be a boring place, albeit with less broken guns and more functioning fingers/arms.
 
I know metric sizes are similar, but using imperial measurement equivalent analogies helps illustrate the difference:

9.3x72R is an extinct cartridge we only own if we like drillings. Think of it as a 30-30 or 38-55. Since black powder is so corrosive we generally don’t want to use it in drilling’s or vierlings worth $3000-$8000 since there are other components of a complex gun to think about.

9.3x74r is a current cartridge equivalent to 9.3x62 so think of it as a 375HH. Loading it with blackpowder sounds like a lot of work to neuter it’s abilities needlessly while creating a mess to clean up on a valuable rifle.

Keep in mind, I’m biased against tinkering in general and if everyone thought like me the world would be a boring place, albeit with less broken guns and more functioning fingers/arms.
There is a reason why you get to start with ten fingers and two arms. Redundancy!
 
With a heavy lead bullet (hardened just enough to prevent nose-slump), I think you would be pleasantly surprised with the results, particularly with a fine powder and something like a paper-patched Accurate Molds 36-324P. I wouldn't hesitate on a reasonable shot on even an Eland. Long, heavy lead bullets at lower velocity just tear things up (y). Experience: .36 bullet-rifle BP Muzzleloaders.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,310
Messages
1,572,516
Members
169,576
Latest member
Teresa7277
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top