9.3x62

Bush Buck

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia
I find this cartridge interesting. I've enjoyed reading the e-book "9.3x62 Mauser Journal" and I've done a bit of loading and shooting with mine. I'm considering taking it on a future hunting trip and I'd appreciate you sharing any of your experiences with this cartridge.

Thanks,
Bush Buck

It's one that has interested me for quite a while.
I haven't owned one, yet!! I have one of the baby brothers though, 9.3x57, and I really like it. Also very easy to reload with a good selection of bullets.

A55A7614-DD96-407B-91E0-ECFCE103D4A9.jpeg
5 shot group. 62 grains Ramshot Big Game. 286 Gr. Woodleigh RN soft point. Luckily I was well stocked up before they burned down.

Very easy to load for. I've worked up loads from 185 grain Lapua to 300 grain A-Frame. H4895, RL-15 & 17. There's some 325 grain Oryx that's been whispering "load me, load me", but that'll have to wait until the rifle gets back from it's first overseas trip.

Last edited:
I've had the best luck with Varget and 250-grain Barnes TSX & TTSX and Swift A-frames. I have a Forbes 24B that I had rebarreled by Douglas. I consider it my most useful rifle and would be my choice for a single rifle for plains game with expected shots around 200 yards.

My wife killed her buffalo with ours with one well placed shot. There’s a hunt report on here somewhere under my name. We’ve killed quite a range of game with it from coyotes to buffalo.

I've had the best luck with Varget and 250-grain Barnes TSX & TTSX and Swift A-frames. I have a Forbes 24B that I had rebarreled by Douglas. I consider it my most useful rifle and would be my choice for a single rifle for plains game with expected shots around 200 yards.
I was debating 250 vs 285 myself. It seems that the cartridge would have a nice "point blank" trajectory to 200 yards for plains game using the 250 grain bullet.
I imagine that your rifle is pretty light so the 250 would be helpful for recoil as well.

good stuff. I use 63gr. What FPS do you get with the Woodleigh

they have rebuilt and are slowly getting back in the game.
Honestly I’ve never put them through a chronograph. I found some accuracy and was happy with the load. They are not fire breathers by any means though.

Still haven't shot anything with mine, but I've got really good groups with Hornady 286 gr, Speer 270, an Oryx 285 gr. Hornady and Speer a touch over 2400 fps, and Oryx at about 2250. I just got such an insane group with Oryx at that velocity with 58.5 gr 2000MR I just quit shooting. Another 150 fps really wouldn't have improved performance by a noticeable amount, so I was done.

I forget my load for Speer, but I'm using 62.0 gr of 2000MR with the Hornady.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyHud

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?