9.3x62 Solids

Image1655230917.489851.jpg

My sincere apologies, my solids are actually Federals loaded with the Woodleigh solid. I suspect that they are currently unavailable given the problems at Woodleigh. However, I did go on Swift’s website and confirm that they do offer their 286 gr break-away solid in loaded 9.3x62 ammo. I use reloads almost exclusively, I’m not sure why these are even in the safe!

Oh, so not a traditional FMJ.

No, the new mono-metal designs. I don’t have enough experience to comment on the relative effectiveness of the two designs. I know PH’s who use both, but in fairness, they use what they can get their hands on.

View attachment 471426

My sincere apologies, my solids are actually Federals loaded with the Woodleigh solid. I suspect that they are currently unavailable given the problems at Woodleigh. However, I did go on Swift’s website and confirm that they do offer their 286 gr break-away solid in loaded 9.3x62 ammo. I use reloads almost exclusively, I’m not sure why these are even in the safe!
Hey, we all make mistakes, @WAB

I’ve shot the Hornady 300 gr DGS 9.3’s and they are very accurate but several inches difference in poa/poi from the 286 sp.

Some great info from you all. Thanks.
Has anyone tried the solids from Cutting Edge Bullets? They has a couple solids available in 9.3/.366 that I am tempted to try out.

Swift does indeed offer a solid for the 9.3. Good luck getting any right now as they are concentrating on the more popular calibers and like everyone else a lack of materials. Still wish the Woodleigh Hydro solids were available.

The only factory loaded solid currently being manufactured for the 9.3x62mm Mauser, is the Norma 275Gr Monolithic Solid.

As handloading components, you can get solid bullets from Nosler and Barnes and Rhino. But these are all of the monolithic variety. To the best of my knowledge, Woodleigh used to be the last company which would offer steel jacketed FMJ solids in the 9.3mm caliber. But after the tragic factory fire, they (along with all other Woodleigh bullets) are no longer in production.

Back in 1982, I hunted a water buffalo in Australia with my guide’s 9.3x62mm (an early model control round feed Belgian F.N Mauser) and he had provided me with a box of RWS 286Gr round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids. They performed and penetrated incredibly well. I had a complete pass through when I made an end to end frontal shot on a water buffalo. Another bullet we found lodged in the hide of the water buffalo’s right shoulder, having cleanly broken through the animal’s left shoulder bone and punched through the heart. Barring the rifling marks, one couldn’t tell if the 286Gr round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solid had been previously fired. Too bad RWS never made their 10.75x68mm solids with such thick steel jackets.

Have a box of those RWS in 9.3x74r...shot a buff with them...one frontal other in side as it turned...went down after bout 20 yards....found one bullet...and as you said apart from rifling marks looked perfect

Some great info from you all. Thanks.
Has anyone tried the solids from Cutting Edge Bullets? They has a couple solids available in 9.3/.366 that I am tempted to try out.
My friend, Mark Sullivan (of Nitro Express Safaris) prefers Cutting Edge monolithic solids to the exclusion of all other brands when hunting dangerous game.

In his .577 Nitro Express Heym Jumbo sidelock ejector (his current dangerous game backup up rifle of choice), he always uses a 750Gr Barnes TSX for the first shot and a 750Gr Cutting Edge monolithic solid for the second shot when stopping Cape buffalo or hippopotamus charges.

North Fork makes a solid in 9.3. Have a bunch of them if needed, all 286gr.

Looking for some 9.3x62 ammo. Preferably not hornady. Any barnes or solids available anywhere?

I have a couple boxes of the factory loaded Norma 275 gr. solids and a box of the Federal loaded 286 gr. Woodleigh Hydro solids. I also have a box of the 300 gr. DGS solids for handloading.

I once asked Hornady by email why they offer the DGS, but not a 300 grain DGX. They thanked me for my inquiry and that was it.

My last two trips I've mentioned bringing my 300 grain A-Frame handloads and in both cases they said then don't bother bringing solids.

Last edited:

Attachments

• A-Frame Heavy Rifle Semi-Spitzer Round Nose Cal. 9.3x62 | 286 gr – Swift Bullet Company.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I recently purchased a 9.3x62 barrel for my Blaser R8. I bought some Swift 300gr A Frames to handload. Also picked up 230 cheap 286gr soft points to play around with. But if I were buying solids, I'd go with CEB brass solids. I used their 300gr 375 solids on Elephant last year, and they really penetrate well.

The last box of those I ran past the chronograph were 2,290 fps MV from a 24" barrel.
That's a full 106 fps slower than what Swift advertises the velocity as (2396 fps).

I recently purchased a 9.3x62 barrel for my Blaser R8. I bought some Swift 300gr A Frames to handload. Also picked up 230 cheap 286gr soft points to play around with. But if I were buying solids, I'd go with CEB brass solids. I used their 300gr 375 solids on Elephant last year, and they really penetrate well.
I also have a 9.3x62 in my blaser R8. Still deciding what scope to put on it, also considering getting a 375 barrel, just love the caliber. But then I have to get another head bolt, might just buy a 375 rifle in stead.

I'll prob stick to swift, I love barnes as well, I almost shoot it in any caliber I have.

Thanks for the feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LenardHave

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt