9.3x62 load

As I stated in a previous post, I was seeing potential for accuracy in a ladder shoot for the hot end of the loads, so I loaded up 3 rounds each of the two hottest loads. After some preliminary shooting to get it sighted in, I first fired the second hottest load. The result was a 3 shot group at 100 yards that measured 5/8”. To say I was pleased would be an understatement. I didn’t shoot the hottest load as I was running out of time, but I will try them next time I go to the range, not that I’m unsatisfied with the group I got today.

IMG_0090.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I punched the data for this load into the ballistic calculator and it shows the bullet will maintain a velocity over 1800 fps out to just beyond 225 yds. This might be a good load for elk in the timber as ranges will be well below 225 yds. I am still going to search for a loads with longer legs though, as hunting in the timber where I live can also mean coming out into a clearcut, which can greatly increase the range.

I just completed reading the 9.3x62 Mauser Journal, 3rd Edition for the 3rd time and my copy is getting somewhat mangled what with my inserted notes, post-its, and folded page corners. One of the assertions in the book is the 9.3 Mauser, loaded with quality 286 grain bullets, to a MV of no more than 2,360 fps, and staying within CIP pressure specifications makes an excellent, hard-to-beat, general purpose African game rifle for the regular Joe & Jane. So, I thought to myself, "self - you really ought to test that assertion for yourself".

I already have the rifle, a Ruger African Lipsey's edition with a 24", 1:10 twist barrel. Why the 1:10 twist? Not a clue, and neither does Lipsey's recall why they spec'd that barrel. I suspect because that was what was available at the time.
I have plenty of brass from all the usual suspects, and I ordered up a small pile of North Fork 286 grain Semi Spitzers. Why North Fork? because I've yet to hunt with them, and load data is scarce, which makes it funner for me to geek out on developing hunting loads. They should arrive in the next couple of days.
I looked at Swift data, Hodgdon data, Barnes data, and made notes of the load data referenced in the book. My criteria are thusly: 286 grain NF at no more that 2,360 fps MV, stay within CIP pressure limits, and one additional goal, - keep load density to no more than 90%. If the handload can meet a MV of 2,360 fps, I plan to zero the rifle at 25 yards / 175 yards and keep POA / POI to +- ~2 inches out to 200 yards. No 'scope knob turning.

So, how to go about doing the "general purpose African game rifle" part of the self-test? My first pass at thinking this through is to take a month (or however long they let me) and travel through 4 - 5 provinces of South Africa with varied terrain and hunt a bunch-o animals of varied live weight and disposition and note distances and (hopefully) recovered bullets of game taken. Whatever 40 rounds (I think) can accomplish.

At the very least, this will be both fun and educational. Just as it should be.

I am loading 286g norma Oryx with RE17 at 2400 for an upcoming trip to Botswana for plains game, the rifle a zg47 love this load. 5 at at 0.8moa.

I know I’m preaching to the choir here but, you cannot go wrong with Swift A-Frame for large “impact resistant” critters such as moose, grizzly, elk, eland, zebra, waterbuck and even buffaloes / bison on any continent.

I am loading 286g norma Oryx with RE17 at 2400 for an upcoming trip to Botswana for plains game, the rifle a zg47 love this load. 5 at at 0.8moa.
A good load and … an excellent rifle!

For Plains Game or Elk the bullets I would recommend are 250gr TTSX or Hammer’s 240gr or 258gr Shock Hammers powdered by 2000MR, Ramshot Big Game or CFE223. My son has slain all types of Plains Game, big and small with 2000MR & 250 TTSX out to 300m, and I have taken Moose with 250gr TTSX & CFE 223. I have used Hammer bullets in a different caliber for elk and have switched over to Hammer Bullets.

If you want a heavy bullet then RL17 is the way to go, IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jolandon24

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]