jnmullins

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
RMEF, WSF
Hunted
TN, LA, TX, RSA
I have wanted a 9.3x62 for a long time and have a previously sporterized Remington 1903 Springfield, manufactured in 1942, that I am thinking about sending to JES Reboring to rebore into a 9.3x62. The action is not one of the early ones with questionable heat treat ( I have one of those too) and the rifle isn't particularly accurate (around 2" groups with a scope). It seems a little strange to rebore a classic American rifle into a European cartridge, but the action is very smooth and I have other 30-06s that are very accurate, including a 1903A3. I also have a 35 Whelen and a 338-06, so that's why I am not considering those for a rebore, and I don't have a lot of interest in rebarreling to 25-06, 270, or 280.

Are there any problem with this idea that I am not seeing? Or thoughts on it?

About $300 vs $600-700. Rebarreling a surplus gun seems to be a losing proposition, because the rifle will still be worth about what the barrel and labor cost. And the rebarrel cost might be more than that due to the extractor cut in the barrel, like a pre-64 M70.

Not to mention the coned breech. If you’re looking for forum affirmation, I say get after it and let us know the results! What’s $300 anyways?

Yes, it is a pain peeling the barrels from Springfield. Ask me how I know. They are a sweet very smooth and strong action. Much slicker than 98 Mauser and that's saying something. I wonder if you'll have enough metal in the barrel? How much was removed when sporterized? I would think a heavier taper might be needed = rebarrel. Will too little metal affect barrel harmonics? Or blow up in your face?

@Ontario Hunter I definitely have enough metal in the barrel. Although it is the original barrel, it has a beefier profile than an 03A3 and it appears that no metal was removed during sporterizing since the original proof mark and barrel date are still visible underneath the front sight. It does not have steps on the barrel, but it doesn't look like they have been turned off, so if they were it was very well done and then nicely reblued. If steps were turned off, then this was a pretty heavy barrel originally.

A 9.3x62mm Mauser built on a Springfield Model 1903A3 action would be a real beauty. Much like @Ontario Hunter … I’m a huge fan of the Springfield Model 1903A3 rifles. Esp. the ones sporterized by Griffin & Howe.

@Ontario Hunter I definitely have enough metal in the barrel. Although it is the original barrel, it has a beefier profile than an 03A3 and it appears that no metal was removed during sporterizing since the original proof mark and barrel date are still visible underneath the front sight. It does not have steps on the barrel, but it doesn't look like they have been turned off, so if they were it was very well done and then nicely reblued. If steps were turned off, then this was a pretty heavy barrel originally.
This is my sporterized 03A3. I rebarreled it during pandemic with another Springfield sporterized military barrel. No proof marks but did have military slot remaining for front sight. Definitely not enough metal for that kind of rebore. It's a four-land whereas the corroded one I removed was late production 2-land. Note that I cut off the knob to access aftermarket 2-position safety on left side of receiver. Also makes it look very Mauserish. Be forewarned those strikers are actually two piece peened together on knurled knob face. If you decide to cut off the knob, do it as close to end as possible. Most of the striker shaft threads are towards end of the knob.
20230623_114322.jpg

20230813_102935.jpg

Will the barrel need to be removed for rebore? If so, be forewarned those military barrels are peened to the ring. The smith or whoever will need to put it in a lathe and trim back the lip of ring just a bit to release grip on the barrel. Otherwise the barrel will get torn up in the vice trying to remove it. The idiot gunsmith who first attempted my rebarrel really messed up the old barrel and receiver ... eventually broke his barrel vice!

I have wanted a 9.3x62 for a long time and have a previously sporterized Remington 1903 Springfield, manufactured in 1942, that I am thinking about sending to JES Reboring to rebore into a 9.3x62. The action is not one of the early ones with questionable heat treat ( I have one of those too) and the rifle isn't particularly accurate (around 2" groups with a scope). It seems a little strange to rebore a classic American rifle into a European cartridge, but the action is very smooth and I have other 30-06s that are very accurate, including a 1903A3. I also have a 35 Whelen and a 338-06, so that's why I am not considering those for a rebore, and I don't have a lot of interest in rebarreling to 25-06, 270, or 280.

Are there any problem with this idea that I am not seeing? Or thoughts on it?
You’re going to hate this but if it were me, there would always be a niggling voice in the back of my brain that it was a poor choice because you’re taking a classic American action and pairing it with a classic German cartridge.
I love the 9.3 but it belongs in a Mauser.
What about a 338? 416 Taylor? 458? 333 OKH if you handload?
If you proceed down this road pretend you never read this comment

Last edited:
About $300 vs $600-700. Rebarreling a surplus gun seems to be a losing proposition, because the rifle will still be worth about what the barrel and labor cost. And the rebarrel cost might be more than that due to the extractor cut in the barrel, like a pre-64 M70.
Since the old 1903 Springfield actions and rifles aren’t worth a chest of gold, I’m with Rem 700 on this one.
Get a good gunsmith, re-barrel to 9.3x62 and see for yourself what 124 years of “magic and legend” is all about. (Wink)

It won’t be long before you start wondering about converting another old 30-06 rifle to 7x64, so you have a matching pair of German masterpieces of cartridge design.

You’re going to hate this but if it were me, there would always be a niggling voice in the back of my brain that it was a poor choice because you’re taking a classic American action and pairing it with a classic German cartridge.
If you proceed down this road pretend you never read this comment but you’ll always know it’s a square peg in a round hole.
Dammit Uncontrolled!!!
You’ve just ruined 2 of my favourite rifles.
Both my 30-06 and 300H&H are built on Mauser 98 actions.
Now I’ll have to go looking for an American and a British action like the Remington 700 or Lee Enfield to have the square pegs fit the square holes. (lol)

Keep in mind that for the 1903 Springfield action, the US borrowed so heavily from the Mauser 98 action that the US paid Mauser royalties for many years.

My 338-06 is on an FN military action and my 35 Whelen is on a Rem 700, so i guess it would be fitting to build a 9.3x62 on a Springfield to complete the intermingling of American and European cartridges and actions

My 338-06 is on an FN military action and my 35 Whelen is on a Rem 700, so i guess it would be fitting to build a 9.3x62 on a Springfield to complete the intermingling of American and European cartridges and actions
Exactly!
The United Nations in your gun safe. lol

Your good to go and with the best caliber ever on the 06 size case, but never use reformed 06 brass, that's a fools errand and unsafe. PPU 9.3x62 is cheap and decent available brass.

I used the 9,3x62 for over 50 or so years on animals like Cape Buffalo and Hippo and witnessed its use on elephant, never a complaint from anyone and the 1903 Springfield would be super...Ive built the caliber in Rem 721, Both pre 64 and post 64, FN and 98 Mausers..You have a splendid idea with a Springfield..

@RayAtkinson thanks for your input from your extensive experience . This rifle isn’t sentimental to me and it is a really slick action. I appreciate the top-notch enabling and will get the rifle sent off for reboring soon.

Years ago I picked up a rifle at at a gun show that was a Dale Storey custom .35 Whelen on a 1903 Springfield action. I never did check the rate of twist but it showed a strong preference for bullets 225 grain and lighter. The rifle would not group well with a 250 grain and that weight was what I had my heart set on in that cartridge.

I spoke to a smith that was in the business of reboring at the time (not JES) and he told me that he could turn that Whelen into a 9.3x62 with my desired rate of twist but that if you looked at the bore under a scope it may not be as pretty as one where he had a little more meat to work with. I never looked at the bore under a scope but that rifle in 9.3x62 did just fine with 286 grain bullets.

During a time when I was trying to be practical and thin the herd a bit I sold that rifle because I figured I would just rock on with a .375 H&H and didn't see a need for the 9.3mm.

That rifle had 3 position Winchester style safety and butterknife bolt handle. Barrel was half round half octagonal with an integral quarter rib. I have many times wished I hadn't sold that rifle.

Personally I like your plan.

If you proceed down this road pretend you never read this comment
I have to disagree. The 1903 Springfield borrowed so much from the M1893 and M1898 Mausers that the US government had to pay royalties for patent infringement to DWM. Thus, it has enough of a German heritage that it can easily be paired with a German cartridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
40Saralee39

Latest profile posts

SRS 2024 wrote on kesha's profile.
Hi there
Please contact us on sharisaf@yahoo.com

We have buffalo available at very good prices.

Kind regards
SRS
SRS 2024 wrote on crossone's profile.
Hi there

Shangani River Safaris can offer you a Buffalo hunt.

Please email us on sharisaf@yahoo.com.
Thank you.
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.