9,3x62 213 Grain Bullets

coreydb

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, US, Spain
My lightest bullet with my 9,3 is 250 grains. I saw North Fork offers 214 grain CPX and Semi Spitzer bullets. I never saw this light a bullet in this caliber. This is an ignorant question, so laugh at me...it's ok, but what game is this effective on? squirrels, chipmunks, opossums?

I load/shoot brass monolithics at 155 and 170 gr, MJG and OK+, from Germany and Yugoslavia, respectively. They turn a 9.3 x 62 into a flat shooting deer/ bear/moose gun to 250 to 300 yards easily. lapua used to make a 232 gr lead free bullet. with a very good reputation for deep penetration sometimes bullet structure is more important than weight

This is an ignorant question, so laugh at me...it's ok, but what game is this effective on? squirrels, chipmunks, opossums?
I developed my 9.3 B&M in 2009. I was way to busy with real calibers to mess with it much, and certainly had too much field work to do with various 416s, 458s, and 500s to even take 9.3 to the field for testing.......... And by then we had come a long way with the Cutting Edge Raptors and CEB Solids, and North Forks as well. Finally in 2012 I took the 9.3 B&M out for a test run in April for 20-25 plains game, mostly wildebeest--zebra and assorted other critters.......... And using nothing but a 210 gr ESP Raptor at or around 2900 fps. We did a lot of shooting in a few short days. I was rather pleased with the rifle, cartridge and in particular the bullets terminal performance. What we found was that about 50% of the wildebeest and similar size animals would DRT on the spot, the other 50% would run short distance 20-30 yards and drop.......... zebra ran, none DRT, but soon went down......... Zebra are notoriously resistant. What we also learned, we did not recover one bullet or base! All exited. Internal damage was extensive, blood loss was incredible. I did a lot of shooting with 338 and 358 calibers with conventional expanding bullets, and they just don't come up to par with a Raptor.

In the test work, this is how some conventional bullets compared with the Raptor...........

DSC04017-L.jpg

DSC04019-L.jpg

DSC04022-L.jpg

DSC04024-L.jpg

DSC04571-L.jpg

DSC08228-L.jpg

Later 2012 I took the 9.3 B&M to Australia to see what would happen with buffalo....... Even with the best bullets, most destructive bullets available to mankind, buffalo just don't pay much attention to anything less than .458 caliber.......... After about 8-10 buffalo with the 9.3 I put it away, buffalo pay attention to caliber. The various 9.3 bullets I used did extremely well, all the Raptors exited far side, including this 210 gr ESP, lots of damage internally, but short on caliber, the bullets did all they could do.

Now I am not aware of or know anything about the New North Fork....... but if coming from North Fork, it will be a good bullet. Listen to what North Fork tells you about its performance and you will be fine.

And, for my part, I am not much of a small bore sort of chap....... I might agree that when it comes to less than .458 caliber, these things might be best kept for rats and such....... But don't discount todays Modern Bullet Tech, it will out perform the old conventional bullets every day........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CruzBlank0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.