9.3 S.A. Wildcat

That would be a sweet cartridge in a ruger no 1, what twist barrel would you suggest for it?
According to Berger, a 14" twist is plenty, even for the very long 320 gr Woodleigh PPSN and the 325 gr Norma Oryx. https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Somebody here at AH (can't remember who) has a 9.3x62 with a 12 twist and gets better velocity than the standard 14, or at least better velocity than I'm getting.

And honestly, for a canon like this 9.3 is, the only other bullet I'd use is 300 gr A Frame. Not because I don't think the lighter bullets can take it, but because IMO, heavier is better in most circumstances. If you could push a 300/320/325 gr bullet at 2600+, then why not do it?
 
Last edited:
Nosler Partition 286 gr: BC .482
FWIW, I was going through my Woodleigh manual this morning, totally forgot they make (made?) a 320 gr PPSN, BC checks in at .457.

At 2600 fps and a 200 yard zero, that only puts you about 9" low at 300 yards. That's a pretty good ballistic arc, and still at 3000 ft-lbs of energy when it gets there.
 
FWIW, I was going through my Woodleigh manual this morning, totally forgot they make (made?) a 320 gr PPSN, BC checks in at .457.

At 2600 fps and a 200 yard zero, that only puts you about 9" low at 300 yards. That's a pretty good ballistic arc, and still at 3000 ft-lbs of energy when it gets there.
3000fp at 300yds, now that's knocking the stuffing out of a critter
 
I wonder if you can rent reamers for that beast? I do happen to have a no1 action laying around
 
This was a couple of years back and I think this mob had a line of proprietry cartridges.....

Roger
Old thread but it comes back to the 9.3x70 caliber ...then a lot of years back in Canada , Aubrey White commenced with a line of calibers using a 404 Jeffery case to neck up and down without effect changes to the 404 case.

I have bought the .338 Imperial Magnum caliber components from Aubrey before his passing away. Including the reamer, gauges re-loading dies and forming dies I bought from a member on our group. Dave ( one of our great members ) brought all the items for me to South Africa.

It is a project I still plan to do in the near future..the .458 African is currently in front of the line
 
A little off topic here.....but does anyone know where I can buy, borrow or whatever, a 9.3x74R Improved reamer ??

Roger
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,571,922
Members
169,467
Latest member
CurtisDeff
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top