8x68S owner's opinions

I totally agree. The only problem I can see with the 8mm is the lack of high BC bullets. The highest one I know of and use is the 220g Sierra Game King.
Yes, because it is a German caliber it does not have the supply and demand like the .300 Win Mag or .338 Win Mag or the .338 Lapua ..so bullet manufacturers do not cater for exotic calibers ..this was mentioned by a good friend of mine when we discuss this same issue...America/British calibers are the ones who sell world wide ..only in Europe do the German calibers sell well.

Yes, because it is a German caliber it does not have the supply and demand like the .300 Win Mag or .338 Win Mag or the .338 Lapua ..so bullet manufacturers do not cater for exotic calibers ..this was mentioned by a good friend of mine when we discuss this same issue...America/British calibers are the ones who sell world wide ..only in Europe do the German calibers sell well.
I have lurked without posting for a long while. 8mms aren't popular in Montana, but I have two, both on M1917/P14 actions. Both are incredibly accurate. My 8x68 is loaded to 3.390" with the 220 gr woodleigh PP bullet. I have a 28" McGowen barrel on this, and get 2801 fps with 67.8 gr IMR 4831. Longest Kill shot was at 422 yards last fall on a large mule deer buck. The other is an 8mm rem mag with a 27" Green Mtn bull barrel. This is my 1000 yard steel shooter with the 220 Sierra BT loaded to 3000 fps. This one has only shot paper and steel, no game

Comen, the only reason the 8 x 68S is not popular is since few hunters want to have a caliber that is scarce with all the re-loading components difficult to source and are expensive as well. The .300 Win Mag/.300 H&H Magnum is much easier to source components for and is available in ever country where ever hunting takes place.

The few hunters who do like this 8x68s caliber enjoy it`s great versatility in the hunting regions.

Comen, the only reason the 8 x 68S is not popular is since few hunters want to have a caliber that is scarce with all the re-loading components difficult to source and are expensive as well. The .300 Win Mag/.300 H&H Magnum is much easier to source components for and is available in ever country where ever hunting takes place.

The few hunters who do like this 8x68s caliber enjoy it`s great versatility in the hunting regions.
The 8x68 is my favorite carry rifle. I just me better than all of my other rifles. I is stocked in a style similar to a model 70 XTR with a very nice piece of Claro walnut. I have an old scopechief 6x with a post and crosshair reticle. With this rifle I even made a very difficult running shot, 1 and done

Nice rifle comen. This is strange, when I clicked on your riflepictures.zip it downloaded all of them into my computer. I am not sure but I think loading your pictures as a zip file is what made do this. I will put them here.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice rifle comen. This is strange, when I clicked on your riflepictures.zip it downloaded all of them into my computer. I am not sure but I think loading your pictures as a zip file is what made do this. I will put them here.
Thanks for posting these. My computer skills are minimal!

Very interesting thread! The .325 WSM duplicates 8x68 ballistics almost identically. Makes one wonder why Winchester felt the need for the .325!

Very interesting thread! The .325 WSM duplicates 8x68 ballistics almost identically. Makes one wonder why Winchester felt the need for the .325!
'Cause its short and fat!

Factory ammo yes, hand loaded, no. That is going by the figures from one bloke I know that has an 8X68.

I have wondered the same. At one time I was thinking about buying a .325 WSM but I got interested in the Blaser R8 and ended up with the 8x68s, I love it. Some say it's as fast as the 8mm RM, it's not. That's like saying the .300 Win Mag is as fast as the .300 Wby.

I haven't shot the .325 WSM. QuickLoad suggests they are almost identical. There H2o volume is listed at: 8x68s - 86.0gr's, .325 WSM - 81.8gr's.

It has ample power, no silly belt, fits perfect into the M98, does not need a magnum action, just a great cartridge.

Love it....

HWL

Looks great, @Gert Odendaal . I can tell already that the stock is going to finish with the appearance of a lot more figure than one would suspect. Rotten stone and grain fill will accumulate in all that beautiful quilting and boy is that stock going to pop. Straight grain in all the right spots. Great job and great choice of wood.

Looks great, @Gert Odendaal . I can tell already that the stock is going to finish with the appearance of a lot more figure than one would suspect. Rotten stone and grain fill will accumulate in all that beautiful quilting and boy is that stock going to pop. Straight grain in all the right spots. Great job and great choice of wood.
Yes, Rookhawk, these two American Black Wall nut blanks are beautiful..I will be giving special attention to the stock finishing...all the grain running perfect through the pistol grip, great texturing and grain as well. the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser stock will be worked down to a sleek , slender stock..the 8x68S stock will be heavy, strong and streamline as well.

Hi Gert, ek hoop jij het goed gekuier bij Wollie?
My 8x68S is a plain Jane R93. Use it nowadays exclusively for PG, used to be my mountain rifle and caliber.
Jan, good to hear from you, yes , it was a great holiday, I did a lot of work as well, build a few items for Wollie as well. Started the morning after waking up, at my own time, no alarm at all, then start to weld and grind until the evening every day..took some time to shoot a nice Springbuck ram as well. My son shot a nice Oryx as well.We did a lot of reloading for the 8x57JS Mauser as well. Wollie really is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to re-loading and working out speed and loads .

As usual, nobody was allowed to assist in skinning and processing the meat. This is a privilege I afford myself and my son Ruan. This is a highlight to process the meat and put a few steaks on the coals as well..it really is exceptional meat and table fair. I brought back the Oryx horns as well as a few extra horns I got from Wollie, this I will use to build myself an Oryx horn traditional bow to hunt with..
19a5213e-8312-4b63-8356-6b9813f39eec.jpg
7f543e63-ef2b-4311-bad7-17bb726e4aca.jpg
ed53a7e6-98c3-4d10-9b87-498c29413e32.jpg
992c066b-c3d2-45e4-bb78-0b3d4f6beaf7.jpg
b07d6ee4-1438-41ea-befb-234fd896423e.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelphiaHun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?