8x64 Brenneke....Who has one ?

yumastepside

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
ssaa
I've been thinking about barrelling one of my '98 Mausers to 8x64 and was curious to know who has one and your thoughts on it...I'm think of shots out to around the 300yd mark or so....

Roger

Beware that there are two 8x64. The 8x64 S takes .323 bullets and the plain 8x64 takes .318 bullets.

Considering that the 8x64 is generally considered obsolete, I would assume (?) that you have the 8x64S in mind.

In terms of power, the 8x64 S designed by Brenneke lies between the original 8x57 Mauser and the 8x68 S designed by Schüler. It is very similar, ballistically, to the 8mm-06. The 8x68 S, which is similar to a .300 mag is likely a better option (flatter trajectory) for shots in the 300 yards range, and it too fits in a standard Mauser 98. But for those who want a metric "do-it-all" cartridge without a "magnum" noise and recoil, the 8x64S is a pretty good option...

To the best of my knowledge at least one European companies, Sellier & Bellot, still loads the 8 x64 S (there was an attempt at revival in the 1990's), but I would not expect it to remain in production long...

One step up in caliber, still fitting in a standard Mauser 98 is the 9.3x64 Brenneke, arguably the one and only medium caliber that is better than the .375 H&H.

Last edited:
The 8x68S is likely a better 8 mm option, and it too fits in a standard Mauser 98.

One step up in caliber, still fitting in s standard Mauser 98 is the 9.3x64, arguably the one and only medium caliber that is better than the .375 H&H

Thems fightin' woids...;)

I’ve got a little ammo kicking around, I’ve been hoping to find one, but have considered building one as well. Good luck with a build, I would be interested to hear about it!

I’ve got an 8x65r, the rimmed counterpart. Practice brass is easy, properly head stamped brass is likely unobtanium.

Awesome, I love Triebel guns, I’d like to see that someday if you get around to it.

Can you just fire form 30'06 for the brass?

Can you just fire form 30'06 for the brass?
I was going to say no, but then I googled 8X64S and realised we have been barking up the wrong tree!
It looks to me that the 8X64S is the 7X64S necked up to .323 (8mm) which means it can be easily made from 30/06 brass.
The 8X64S is not based of the 9.3X64 Brenneke which has a bigger non-belted magnum case.
Roger, is that your understanding?

Yes, I'm trying to work out if there's any advantage in the 8x64 over my 8-06 Imp. or do I use the 9.3x64 case and neck it down....

Roger

I just found an identical thread by Sestoppelman...

9.3X64 Brenneke cases are a unique size and difficult to find. I have 4 boxes of RWS for mine that I bought years ago. Beretta Australia do currently list them though.
PRC or RUM based wildcat might be easier to source brass.

Well, I have a 8x64S.

It's a custom rifle based on a Dumoulin Mauser action.

I love that rifle...

I am reloading Hasler bullets from Italy and shm brass from Germany.

Shot a mufflon, fallow deer, wildboars and doe with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashot1arzumanyan

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]