8x64 Brenneke....Who has one ?

Yes, I'm trying to work out if there's any advantage in the 8x64 over my 8-06 Imp. or do I use the 9.3x64 case and neck it down....

Roger

I just found an identical thread by Sestoppelman...
If you use the 9,3x64 case and neck down you get 8mm Màzon , a Spanish wildcat .

The 8x64 would be your most simplistic option if you are wanting to convert an existing rifle, otherwise you are looking at magazine and stock work for the larger cartridges with their larger case heads. I think it would be a great choice personally.

My mate has a 8x64 and 9.3x64 in zastava i think. He uses the Tugs . Id say performance is as better than the 220gr woodleigh out of my 3006 but not much difference in killing power.

The 9.3x64 though is on a different level.

Here is CIP’s cartridge dimensions for both the 8X64s and the 9.3X64. I also added SAAMI’s for the 30-06. These should help you figure things out.

Attachments

8x68S in a std action would be a squeeze. I have a Brno 602 square bridge in 8x68S the oal would require serious modifications in a standard 98

8x68S in a std action would be a squeeze. I have a Brno 602 square bridge in 8x68S the oal would require serious modifications in a standard 98
Most of the originals were built on standard actions, though you are right, it’s quite the squeeze.
IMG_7420.jpeg

IMG_7419.jpeg

8x68S has OAL of 3.425" while 404 Jeffery is 5.35" long. 404 fits into a standard 98 Mauser after opening the bolt face, changing the extractor claw, moving the loading ramp forward, widening and lengthening the bottom metal, and of course modifying feeding rails. No need to move the ejector or carve away locking ring (e.g. fitting 375 or 416 Rigby in standard 98 action). I guess it depends on what one defines as "significant". As I understand it, bolt face on 8x68S would not require opening, the extractor would also be unchanged, and I doubt the loading ramp would need to be moved much if at all. Would not need to touch locking ring or ejector. Some modification would obviously be needed to bottom metal to handle the wider shoulder. Not a big deal.
Edit: Probably little if no modification needed for bottom metal. The 8x68S has a narrower shoulder than 30-06 which is easily fitted into standard 98 Mauser. The 30-06 has a slightly shorter OAL, just 0.08". And 8mm Mauser is slightly shorter than 30-06: 3.228" vs 3.34" 30-06 vs 3.425" OAL for 8x68S. I would not hesitate to build one of these on a standard 98 Mauser. It would be a fun project for a beginner. The cartridge does have a rebated rim but so slight that I suspect little probability of encountering the usual feeding issues.

Last edited:
8x68S has OAL of 3.425" while 404 Jeffery is 5.35" long. 404 fits into a standard 98 Mauser after opening the bolt face, changing the extractor claw, moving the loading ramp forward, widening and lengthening the bottom metal, and of course modifying feeding rails. No need to move the ejector or carve away locking ring (e.g. fitting 375 or 416 Rigby in standard 98 action). I guess it depends on what one defines as "significant". As I understand it, bolt face on 8x68S would not require opening, the extractor would also be unchanged, and I doubt the loading ramp would need to be moved much if at all. Would not need to touch locking ring or ejector. Some modification would obviously be needed to bottom metal to handle the wider shoulder. Not a big deal.
Edit: Probably little if no modification needed for bottom metal. The 8x68S has a narrower shoulder than 30-06 which is easily fitted into standard 98 Mauser. The 30-06 has a slightly shorter OAL, just 0.08". And 8mm Mauser is slightly shorter than 30-06: 3.228" vs 3.34" 30-06 vs 3.425" OAL for 8x68S. I would not hesitate to build one of these on a standard 98 Mauser. It would be a fun project for a beginner. The cartridge does have a rebated rim but so slight that I suspect little probability of encountering the usual feeding issues.
Further edit and correction: 8x68S OAL is 0.2" longer than 8mm Mauser (for whom standard action 98 Mauser was designed). A standard action 8mm 98 Mauser can be upgraded to 30-06 without modifying bottom metal even though 30-06 has 0.11" longer OAL. So there is plenty of room lengthwise in the magazine box. Much longer 404 cartridge can eject from 98 Mauser without carving into the locking ring so the ejection/loading port is plenty long enough without modification for 8x68S. Like the 404, the 8x68S has gently sloping shoulder. This allows for smoother feeding with cartridges that are pushing the envelope for OAL in a standard 98 action. The point at which the cartridge jumps the rails fully onto the bolt face can be moved forward because the case shoulder is less likely to catch on the loading ramp and/or bullet tip get hung up hitting the top of the chamber. If the jump point to bolt face has to be pulled back to accommodate a sharp shoulder, then the probability increases for cartridges to come out of the rails prematurely before the bolt face is engaged and/or bullet end started into chamber = loose cartridge falling out of the gun during cycling. With its gently sloping shoulder and much shorter OAL, the 8x68S would be a much easier build on standard action than 404J. Not having to change the bolt face and extractor is icing on the cake. The result is a gun with lots of poop that's equally as versatile as 375. Interesting that my source says it is legal for dangerous game in Namibia if loaded up with sufficient pressure. Too bad ammo and components are so difficult to obtain.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MargeneNie

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]