80th anniversary of D Day....6th june 1944

Embarrassing and disrespectful… but sadly, not at all surprising…

For anyone interested, tonight at 8:00 eastern time the History Channel is airing a program if I remember correctly it’s titled “D Day: the Lost Tapes” I think it has many of the radio messages coming from the battle field.

my dad landed on Omaha beach about two days after the first wave of soldiers he said the beach was still red when the war was over he had 2 purple hearts a bronze star a silver star it took years for him to tell me and my 3 brothers some of his stories I have a picture of him with all his metals I will try to get it to show everyone he died at 90 years old about 11 years ago a really good humble man.

One of the boys at church, not really a boy at 19 but still a boy if you understand, wondered "why they wanted to join the army so badly in those days." He's had, as many of his peers, a fairly sheltered life. He knows me as both a minister and a veteran (Cold War - I'm not old enough for WWII.) Anyway, it was an opportunity to talk with him about their love of country, love of neighbor, and the ongoing war against evil. A lot of our youngsters are woefully uneducated, but the ones I know want to learn. Us old folks need to be willing to help when they ask.

If anyone is interested this is a very very good book.
IMG_0425.jpeg

What I especially liked was his comparison of troops say German paratroopers versus USA V Britain etc. Also weapons etc right up to how the allies ran there armies V Germans and Russia.
So follows the run up to the invasion right the way through to there break out of the hedges.
Where I live here in Berkshire England most of the airborne trained and left from here. There are old airfields all around.

Theres a farm where I get my firewood from. Every so occasionally when burning it you get a very intense glow. The wood is from a ridge line which the US troops used as Machine gun practice. The glows are the bullet heads melting.

Worked on a barn conversion (family made the old farm barn into a house) the owner was telling me how a few years after he had done it one late May Day 3 old guys with medals on came and knocked on there door.
They said that they had been billeted there. Asked if they could get up in the loft as they had carved their names on the rafters. So up they all climbed.
They all chatting away and the guy asks. Hey what’s up with the dates?
These here are all RIP 1943? Oh says the vets that’s when we started parachute training, we used this place as a morgue.

Coming from NZ my family has fought in both World wars and Vietnam.
It still gets me when coming across the commonwealth war graves. France has many. But I only need to walk around the local church yards here where many of the services men and women where buried having been killed or died of there wounds. If I do see one of there head stones I always make an effort to visit.

my dad landed on Omaha beach about two days after the first wave of soldiers he said the beach was still red when the war was over he had 2 purple hearts a bronze star a silver star it took years for him to tell me and my 3 brothers some of his stories I have a picture of him with all his metals I will try to get it to show everyone he died at 90 years old about 11 years ago a really good humble man.

Yes, please honor your dad by posting his picture, and on your next prayer, please tell him we thank him for his sacrifices.

It appears that one of the unknown soldiers is making his way home.

May he and his family finally find peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fdhreyf43562

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well