7x64 cartridge/rifle clue me up

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
So, I’ve long thought that a 7mm-08 would be a good round for my wife.
A few years back I read about 7x57,.280,.280ai etc.
I have a 7mm-08 and a .280ai

I was speaking to my wife about setting up a 7-08 for her when I saw a deal on used-guns for a 7x64 with dies and cases.
I like the 7mm calibre in general so, Bam, another impulse buy because I sort of like the idea of a classic cartridge.

The 7x64 is for my wife so I’m thinking I will start with lighter loads and get her comfortable with it then I can increase to standard loads if she takes to it.

Basically I’m hoping I can load it to mimic 7mm-08 loads and work up if she decides to hunt with it. If not I can hunt with it to see how it goes.

I predict that you and your wife will like the 7x64! I have three 7x64 rifles and each one shoots accurately, with little fuss, and kills well. I’ve found most 7x64 rifle shoot longer ( heavy for caliber or all copper) bullets better than the lightweights. 160 - 175 gr. Seem best for Lead core bullets, 140-160gr. in all copper bullets like Barnes tsx or the Lapua. But there are some exceptions, my Sako 85 also shoots the little RWS cone point 120 grain bullets accurately and very fast. Have fun experimenting!

I predict that you will find the 7x64 to your liking and the recoil is modest in my CZ-550 FS. I mostly shoot 139 and sometimes 154/160 grain bullets in mine as I only hunt whitetail deer anymore.

@
So, I’ve long thought that a 7mm-08 would be a good round for my wife.
A few years back I read about 7x57,.280,.280ai etc.
I have a 7mm-08 and a .280ai

I was speaking to my wife about setting up a 7-08 for her when I saw a deal on used-guns for a 7x64 with dies and cases.
I like the 7mm calibre in general so, Bam, another impulse buy because I sort of like the idea of a classic cartridge.

The 7x64 is for my wife so I’m thinking I will start with lighter loads and get her comfortable with it then I can increase to standard loads if she takes to it.

Basically I’m hoping I can load it to mimic 7mm-08 loads and work up if she decides to hunt with it. If not I can hunt with it to see how it goes.
CBH Australia
About time you bought your lovely wife a real rifle instead of that horrible little 243. She will love her new 7mm
Bob

@

CBH Australia
About time you bought your lovely wife a real rifle instead of that horrible little 243. She will love her new 7mm
Bob
She’s also happy with the .243

The biggest advantage a 7x64 has over a 280 Rem is the gun. You have to look pretty hard to find an ugly or low quality 7x64, whereas you have to look long and hard for a 280 on a mauser or similar action of high quality.

I bought my son a 7x64 mauser custom when he was 8 and he's used it all over the place for the past five years. New Mexico for Oryx, Zim for Eland, Kudu, Wildebeest, Zebra, and other. Wisconsin for deer.

It's a wonderful caliber and it has a lot of versatility. It also has a bit more oomph than a 7x57 which is also a wonderful caliber. With a properly fitting gun and a good recoil pad, any woman or child should have no trouble shooting a 7x64 well off sticks with no flinch.

The 7x64 is one of the best cartridges around, very similar to the American .280 that really never caught up likely due to the .270 anteriority and Outdoor Life’s Jack O’Connor's fanatical endorsement.

The big advantage of the 7x64 / .280 over the .270 is that it can shoot heavier bullets* (up to 175 gr) which positions it squarely in .30 caliber power territory, and with the 150 gr bullet, the .280 Remington is easy to shoot and actually slightly faster than the .270 Winchester.

* no issue whatsoever for the 7x64 which has a standard twist rate of 1 in 8.66", but beware with the .280 Rem as there is no industry standard and some have 1 in 8", 1 in 9" or even 1 in 10" like the .270 Win. To stabilize long heavy bullets, the .280 Rem needs 1 in 8" or 1 in 9".

If memory serves, the 7x64 takes 1 more grain of powder than the .280, so think of it as in between 7mm-08 and .280 AI.

True lovers of the 7x64 / .280 often say that the 7 mm Magnum is nothing more than a loud 7x64 / .280, and they are not very far from the truth ;) and of course you would know that well due to the fact that you already have a .280 AI :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gabvi77

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with