7x57 Load Workup with Hornady 154 Spire Points and IMR 4350

Thanks, and for peace of mind, i wanted to start off a little lower than 45 grains; but won't be surprised if i wind up around 50'ish. Also, the 3.100" oal fits and feeds well in this rifle, so may get back there in the next load workup.

I have probably owned and read at least 50 reloading manuals, and the old Hornady was easily the "hottest" of them all. (It was the only manual that listed loads that were clearly too hot for my 264 Mag, for example) I can shoot all of the listed loads for the 154 grainer using IMR 4350 in my 7X57 without pressure signs, (but not all the loads listed for 4895.) in the old books. Newer loads listing 43 grains would be mild in my rifle (a Mod 70). I also used 45 grns IMR 4350 behind a 175 grain Speer, listed as max in the old Speer Manual. Case life was good even with that load. Maybe they are afraid of the Mod 89/91/93 Mauser or the Rolling Block, not sure.....If you start with 45grns and work up you will have no problems....the long COAL will help as long as the bullet is not touching .............best of luck.....let us know how it shoots.................FWB

Hi cash,

Agee with sestoppelman. I see those newer manual loads for the 7x57 too conservatives! So low that virgin cases after shooting with that loads, could end with SHORTER base to shoulder dimentions, shorter case headspace, than before firing....this can be seen, even with correct rifle chamber headspace, by protruding primers...With that, created, excesive headspace, in the next firing the cases are in danger to create an inner headspace ring...
Good luck!

CF

Side note - one thought that has kept running through my mind as I work through this process is just how wonderful this case is with a 25 caliber bullet (aka the 257 Roberts), which has me thinking that the 257 Roberts would make for an excellent military rifle round (particularly in the AR platform); and wondering further if that has ever been looked into(?).

I have been going back to "old school" reloading lately. By that I mean using classic bullets at modest velocities. In the 275 Rigby, I have been playing with Rem CL 150gr and 175gr and Hornady 154gr and 175gr RNSP. I have the 150/154 bullets at just over 2500fps and the 175 bullets at 2400fps. The loads are sub-MOA. I have found these bullets preform a bit better (meaning hold together and penetrate better) when they are pushed at more moderate velocities.

One thing I have noticed in a lot of the 7x57 data is they often use WW cases which have more space than any others. Fed and R-P cases are around 20gr heavier.

In the 30-06, I am loading the Hornady RNSP also at around 2400fps.

As part of this "getting back to basics" venture, we plan to use the Rigby's and their bolt peep sights as much as possible. I think these loads will be great for game here in the Texoma area.

Safe shooting

Think I know somewhere else those loads and peep sights would work well too.... ;) :E Big Grin:

I have probably owned and read at least 50 reloading manuals, and the old Hornady was easily the "hottest" of them all. (It was the only manual that listed loads that were clearly too hot for my 264 Mag, for example) I can shoot all of the listed loads for the 154 grainer using IMR 4350 in my 7X57 without pressure signs, (but not all the loads listed for 4895.) in the old books. Newer loads listing 43 grains would be mild in my rifle (a Mod 70). I also used 45 grns IMR 4350 behind a 175 grain Speer, listed as max in the old Speer Manual. Case life was good even with that load. Maybe they are afraid of the Mod 89/91/93 Mauser or the Rolling Block, not sure.....If you start with 45grns and work up you will have no problems....the long COAL will help as long as the bullet is not touching .............best of luck.....let us know how it shoots.................FWB
I will be taking my 275 Rigby (7x57) to Africa for PG up to Kudu in 24 and am using it for my leopard in 25. I will be shooting the 154 grain bullet for all these. I have been using H4831SC and getting a little over 2500 FPS. Thinking about going to IMR4350 to get it up to 2700 FPS. Using Quick Load

That should work out well.............I have never gotten as good a accuracy from any of the 3 types of 4831 as I have with 4350 in the relatively small 275 case.........even in the 280 the faster 4350 seems better suited to the bore/capacity ratio. Your load will be devastating on PG.......FWB

That should work out well.............I have never gotten as good a accuracy from any of the 3 types of 4831 as I have with 4350 in the relatively small 275 case.........even in the 280 the faster 4350 seems better suited to the bore/capacity ratio. Your load will be devastating on PG.......FWB
Good to know…thanks!

Since the 7 X 57 is a European caliber there are 2 separate loadings for it. One being the anemic “SAMI” (American) and “CIP”
(European). That is why ammo from NORMA etc are always hotter.

Cash, I don't consider myself an experienced enough handloader to really offer an opinion. Have we become that litigious as a society? Possibly a reformulation of the powder since your manual was published? Others have mentioned safely pushing a 154gr bullet to 2700+ fps. The max 43.4gr load shows as only running at 2400fps in my manual.

View attachment 541274
Marc, do you have the page for the 175Gr Interlock bullet ?

If planning to use the old 154 Hornady spire point for serious hunting…. my experience with that bullet is it was (is) a relatively weak, thin jacketed cup and core bullet- so loading for max velocity is going in wrong direction. Plus, a long time ago, I found IMR 4064 was THE powder for 7x57 150 gr bullet, specifically the Nosler Partition. More recently the best powder for 7x57 150 gr bullet is Varget, the very close, temp insensitive cousin of 4064.

IMO, the best approach for a 7x57 hunting load would be working up to a conservative velocity with accuracy using a chronograph and watching for excess pressure signs. You should not see any shoulder headspace over-runs with backed out primers if loading within the normal operating pressure range of the 7x57. Also if moving into the 175 gr bullet range, then IMO, the better powder choice is H4350.

Marc, do you have the page for the 175Gr Interlock bullet ?

20230630_120650.jpg

I looked up my 7x57 data for modern bolt gun loads. My objective velocity with accuracy was 2550-2575 fps. 150 gr Nosler Partition bullet, 39.5 gr IMR 4064. Same ballistics for same bullet 39 gr Varget.

Other bullets to try would include A-Frames and TSXs. IMO, the Hornady Interlock is not a tough hunting bullet. Works fine for blowing big holes in softer, smaller big game. But, for example, there is no margin for error if the shot angle on wildebeest is less than perfect or the big kahoona of eland bulls steps out while you are sneaking on an impala. That is not even considering hasty follow up shots at bad angles. For hunting ammo and equipment, I've learned to subscribe to the notion that is important to plan for worse case scenario not best case scenario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeramyHead

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!