7.62x39 Chinese Steel Core 550 Round Spam Can

Rocco490

AH fanatic
Reaction score
For sale Chinese Copper Washed 7.62x39 Steel Core 550 rounds in sealed unopened spam can. $700 Shipped if anywhere near Virginia or $650 plus shipping.

Also 5 30 round European AK 7.62x39 military surplus magazines very good condition $150 shipped if anywhere near Virginia.

I must have gotten a bad deal I paid 550 for it several years ago.
Anyone interested make an offer i might take it if i dont lose too much on this.....

The current scarcity of ammo may work in your favor. In general, I would consider $1 a round for surplus AK ammo overpriced. New manufactured ammunition could be had for as little as .20 a round before covid.

On the other hand some may consider themselves lucky to buy it for $1 a round at this point. Finding those people is the trick.

Your other challenge is going to be the audience..

While I am certain there are a few 7.62x39 guys on AH... they are going to be the exception rather than the rule..

I’m betting it would go on gunjoker pretty quickly.. or one of the more “tactical” focused forums... but here I’d bet fewer than 1 in 500 users has a rifle chambered in 7.62x39

here I’d bet fewer than 1 in 500 users has a rifle chambered in 7.62x39

Not only do I not have anything chambered in 7.62x39, I go out of my way to avoid purchasing anything made in China.

I had a Yugo SKS but recently sold it, because the enablers here convinced me I needed another large bore rifle. I still have a lot of ammo for it and they can’t take my memory of it away, although they try with their constant threads and posts about .375 and up, doubles, Blasers, etc. Bastards!

Your other challenge is going to be the audience..

While I am certain there are a few 7.62x39 guys on AH... they are going to be the exception rather than the rule..

I’m betting it would go on gunjoker pretty quickly.. or one of the more “tactical” focused forums... but here I’d bet fewer than 1 in 500 users has a rifle chambered in 7.62x39

And those of us who do, aren't paying a buck a round for it.

I had a Yugo SKS but recently sold it, because the enablers here convinced me I needed another large bore rifle. I still have a lot of ammo for it and they can’t take my memory of it away, although they try with their constant threads and posts about .375 and up, doubles, Blasers, etc. Bastards!
yes you need at least 400 grain bullets for everything :E Big Grin::E Big Grin::E Big Grin::E Big Grin:

I'll admit, my sks is one gun I wouldn't sell. That unrefined ugly hunk sure is fun to shoot. Of course I had to add about 2" to the LOP.

Admit it. You're saving that ammo because you want another one.

And those of us who do, aren't paying a buck a round for it.
Do the people viewing this thread who do have interest in 7.62x39 realize what this ammo is? First off I want to clarify I am not a scalper on prices this perticular ammo is M43 STEEL CORE ARMOR PIERCING. It has for a number of years gone for a premium because of that and is collectible. The going price from what I have ever seen when it has came up for sale has been around $1 a round and I paid $1 a round for it several years ago. Now back to the ammo for those who are not very familiar it is steel core and designated armor piercing but it just a mild steel core not the harder steel core stuff like the old military ball 30-06 black tip ammo and certainly not the tungsten core new age armor piercing bullets a la M955 AND M993. No one is making new M43 bullet loaded ammo for the states. The chinese ammo was the last offering of M43 type ammo (and in the 90's clinton eventually banned all the chinese ammo and guns from importation) also not all chinese ammo was steel core a lot of it was lead core. Long story short this is collectable ammo and is priced as such. I am not looking to be cast in same light as price gougers as I am not one of them.

Selling it as a collectible narrows your market even further. Gunbroker may be your best bet.

I see one listing on GB right now for steel core Chinese ammo.

GB or specialty sks forum will probably get what you want out of it or close to it. A mosin nagant forum would probably broaden your audience even more.

Looking at other deals I would say your price is right but with a small audience unfortunately.

Good luck.

I'll admit, my sks is one gun I wouldn't sell. That unrefined ugly hunk sure is fun to shoot. Of course I had to add about 2" to the LOP.

Admit it. You're saving that ammo because you want another one.
Yes, it was fun to shoot, but hadn’t been shooting it in awhile, so I followed Toby 458’s mantra and sold it to fund another retina detaching rifle. And no, I’m not really saving the ammo for another SKS. It’s Russian ammo, so it’s probably worth $2.00/cartridge or trade it cartridge for cartridge for .458WM, .375 or .465 h and h, Lott, etc. Any takers? Ha! Ha! Ha!

Reactions: CJW
Sorry I am going to have to jump in here.... There is a difference between "Steel core" and the real deal which is "Hardened steel core AP ammo/Black Tip" is correct.... but the real reason the stuff you have was banned from import was simply the AK pistols; by having AK pistols emerge on the market the ATF used that as a basis to ban the importation of that ammo under the basis that it is "Armor piercing PISTOL AMMO".

Just like with the pistol braces.... The ATF plays the loop hole game too!

I once proved my opinion at a gun show, where a guy was wowing the tacticool crowd around his table by holding one of those bullets up with it stuck to a magnet while proclaiming.....

"See it's steel core armor piercing; THATS WHY its $1.00 each per 20 or $1.50 if you want to buy them loose."

He literally had a 50cal can sitting there with it full of rounds, so I bought one for $1.50 and proceeded to stick it to his own magnet.... then pull out my pocket knife and CUT THE BULLET IN HALF!

This video shows the same ammo

Last edited:
I’ve witnessed steel core 7.62x39 Russian ammo shot out of AKM rifle ricocheting. It was bloody scary. Be careful with this stuff folks.

There will be plenty of 7.62x39 if they ever decide to bring bidens Chinese buddies in to round up all the nonconformist reprobates. Most will probably come with a rifle and loaded magazines.

Sorry I am going to have to jump in here.... There is a difference between "Steel core" and the real deal which is "Hardened steel core AP ammo/Black Tip" is correct.... but the real reason the stuff you have was banned from import was simply the AK pistols; by having AK pistols emerge on the market the ATF used that as a basis to ban the importation of that ammo under the basis that it is "Armor piercing PISTOL AMMO".

Just like with the pistol braces.... The ATF plays the loop hole game too!

I once proved my opinion at a gun show, where a guy was wowing the tacticool crowd around his table by holding one of those bullets up with it stuck to a magnet while proclaiming.....

"See it's steel core armor piercing; THATS WHY its $1.00 each per 20 or $1.50 if you want to buy them loose."

He literally had a 50cal can sitting there with it full of rounds, so I bought one for $1.50 and proceeded to stick it to his own magnet.... then pull out my pocket knife and CUT THE BULLET IN HALF!

This video shows the same ammo
Correct. The hardness of the steel in the core does not matter or the type of steel used. Any type of steel core is classified as AP and cannot be loaded into any caliber for which there are pistols chambered for it I believe is basically what the atf has ruled (5.56x45 62 grain green tip m855 ss109 dodges this as it is only a steel tip and not the core the core is still lead) Clinton did ban the chinese imports that did happen. These will slightly out penetrate regular lead core in barriers but nothing like the old 30 06 black tip which I stated to inform others who might not have known. I have seen that review or test too. One other thing is the 7.62 ammo in general tends to have a thick jacket and many times is a bimetal jacket containing steel in the jacket and gives good penetration regardless of the core material, and magnets will also stick to them. So for those who do not know that, the magnet test does not guarantee a steel in the core.... Not trying to misrepresent this ammo it is what I have said it is. It is collectible and it sells for a higher price because of what it is. And it is priced in line with other offering of its kind.

I have no use for the ammo bought it as a collector item. Recently can use extra cash so was hoping to free up cash by selling this ammo that I dont have an actual use for to fund the purchase of another acquisition.
LOL after all this I sure hope someone buys this ammo.

Correct. The hardness of the steel in the core does not matter or the type of steel used. Any type of steel core is classified as AP and cannot be loaded into any caliber for which there are pistols chambered for it I believe is basically what the atf has ruled (5.56x45 62 grain green tip m855 ss109 dodges this as it is only a steel tip and not the core the core is still lead) Clinton did ban the chinese imports that did happen. These will slightly out penetrate regular lead core in barriers but nothing like the old 30 06 black tip which I stated to inform others who might not have known. I have seen that review or test too. One other thing is the 7.62 ammo in general tends to have a thick jacket and many times is a bimetal jacket containing steel in the jacket and gives good penetration regardless of the core material, and magnets will also stick to them. So for those who do not know that, the magnet test does not guarantee a steel in the core.... Not trying to misrepresent this ammo it is what I have said it is. It is collectible and it sells for a higher price because of what it is. And it is priced in line with other offering of its kind.

I have no use for the ammo bought it as a collector item. Recently can use extra cash so was hoping to free up cash by selling this ammo that I dont have an actual use for to fund the purchase of another acquisition.
LOL after all this I sure hope someone buys this ammo.
I have about 500 of the old military black tips, that were pulled from 30-06 ammo. Loaded in a 300 win mag, they are impressive indeed. They weigh 174 grains I believe it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NathanStre

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com