AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Good day to all members . Here is an interesting rifle . The 7.5 x55 Swiss Smidt/Ruben K31 rifle . A few interesting aspects: According to literature , this rifle is able to be shot out to 600 meters with open sights. It has never see any war since the Swiss is neutral. It has a 7.5 mm diameter bullet but can shoot a .308 bullet as well. I received one as a gift and bought PPU ammo 174gn for it. Already bought a re-loading die set for it and a clamp on scope mount to fit a off set telescope on it.

It will be great to hear from members who has these old rifles ..

64d5fa01-c631-436e-b39d-594078d10615.jpg

786560c2-8173-4ca9-a632-f5adb006652c.jpg
2a113eab-b0c9-41c6-be27-e615bd6ea0f3.jpg
cf30585e-7e13-41e4-9407-e2b70959fe92.jpg
40aceeed-e3db-4f17-ba42-d46d5b70a9b5.jpg
4e780641-6907-420c-a2c1-73add2197939.jpg

Last edited:
Since your Schmidt Rubin is already drilled for a scope mount I would probably use that, the other mounts are a bit cumbersome.
When I scoped mine for a time I used a mount by S&K that mounts to the rear sight base for a scout type scope, long eye relief. It works well, is not offset, and keeps the scope far enough ahead to avoid ejection issues.
These rifles will shoot as far as you can see well enough to shoot. They are that good.

Have you taken the steel buttplate off the rifle yet? The Swiss were citizen soldiers and it was customary to put a white card under the buttplate with the name, rank and unit of the person the rifle was issued to. I’ve got one and they are very accurate rifles. The GP11 issued ammo is match quality but expensive and hard to find now.

They are some of the best built rifles. The craftsmanship put into them is something to see and feel. The metal is extremely hard. Combined with the Swiss cleaning technique, the chambers and bores are usually almost new.
Reloading them with standard .308 projectiles takes a slight learning curve since the original GP11 projectile has a different ogive than any other .308 bullets.
Whatever you do, don't attempt to free-float it. The barrels are set up so there is a slight pressure bearing on them at the very end of the stock. Many people that have attempted this have regretted it when they find their groups went to pot.
I found the sights benefitted from smoking them with lamp black or using the smoke from a burning plastic utensil. It helped to "sharpen them up", especially in the sunlight. There is a certain hold that is required at different ranges.
Swissrifles is a forum that isn't very active but their help and information is solid.
I'm a fan of these rifles obviously.

As Sgt. Schultz would say: "I know nothing!"

But I do think that is a great looking rifle and sincerely hope that it is a shooter!

I’ve got one and they do shoot very well, I think my supply of GP11 ammo has trumped the value of the rifle though!

Thank you kindly to all the members who responded to my thread , it really is very much appreciated for sure (y) (y) (y) There are currently two K31 rifles, the one is a dark wallnut stock , looks like it was used to shoot more frequently. The second one , the one in the photo with the lighter color stock and drilled /tapped action is extremely well kept, it looks like it has never shot a bullet at all. I now need to make a choice between the two rifles.. I bought PPU ammo 174 gn rounds..will take both to a range and shot ten rounds at 100 meters with each and decide what rifle will work for me and sell the second one. Only the light color stock had an original brass butt plate on..there is no address or person`s name on it, on the inside of the butt plate

Swiss products makes a nice offset mount as well, mounts the same as the diopter, won't leave a mark on the rifle. I have a left hand operating system for the k31, kind of neat.

They shoot very well!
Machinist, I bought the clamp on rifle scope mount, the off set one..from Swiss Products USA , it seems it is working for you?????

Since your Schmidt Rubin is already drilled for a scope mount I would probably use that, the other mounts are a bit cumbersome.
When I scoped mine for a time I used a mount by S&K that mounts to the rear sight base for a scout type scope, long eye relief. It works well, is not offset, and keeps the scope far enough ahead to avoid ejection issues.
These rifles will shoot as far as you can see well enough to shoot. They are that good.
Ses, yes, if I decide to take the one with the drilled/tapped holes on the receiver I will fit a normal rifle scope and not use the off set clamp on mount that I bought already..will see when it arrives ..

Machinist, I bought the clamp on rifle scope mount, the off set one..from Swiss Products USA , it seems it is working for you?????
The clamp on mount is designed well, doesn't interfere with ejection at all with any one inch tube scopes I have used. I have two rifles set up with that mount, and one set up with the diopter.

I wish they didn't use the rimfire dovetail as it limits rings somewhat. Never had an issue using leupolds or the Zeiss conquest one inch tube scopes . I have taken quite a few deer with the scope mounted k31, and another bonus with the offset mount is you can still use the open sights.

The clamp on mount is designed well, doesn't interfere with ejection at all with any one inch tube scopes I have used. I have two rifles set up with that mount, and one set up with the diopter.

I wish they didn't use the rimfire dovetail as it limits rings somewhat. Never had an issue using leupolds or the Zeiss conquest one inch tube scopes . I have taken quite a few deer with the scope mounted k31, and another bonus with the offset mount is you can still use the open sights.
Machinist, thank you kindly for the reply it really is much appreciated. I am sure the clamp on scope base will work just great for me , looking at your set up it seems a functional accurate set up. The second K31 rifle I have in the photo has already drill/tapped holes in it..I am wondering if this will interfere with the ejection of the cases??
40aceeed-e3db-4f17-ba42-d46d5b70a9b5.jpg

I think the scope tube will give some problems with clear ejection. Have you considered one of the small red dot sights mounted on the receiver ring?

I think it may cause ejection problems, unless the scope was mounted very high which would be no good.

If you can get the swiss products mount it is very well designed. And can mount in seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members, I already bought the clamp on scope mount. I really want to see how accurate I can shoot with open sights on this rifle .All my other rifles are scopes, except my 404 Jeffery and .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer ..I hunt with them open sights ..so this target rifle , open sights will work for me ...I will be shooting both in the near future and give feedback to all you members ...thank you kindly again, it is much appreciated receiving all your input Members. (y) (y) I recently has an eye operation and I am seeing much clearer...so I am sure I will be able to shoot this rifle open sights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qplake

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?
gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.