6X48 Gun thread Taps : Members are there anyone who comes to South Africa in the near future?

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Members I am in need of 5x Gun thread taps 6x48 . If any one is visiting SA in the near future I would appreciate it greatly if you can bring along these taps.. I will order/pay it and send it to your address to bring it when visiting SA. PM me if this will be possible

Attachments

• REIFF & NESTOR COMPANY SPIRAL POINT %22GUN%22 TAP.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Gert i will be there is October

Azdave, thank you kindly , this is much appreciated. I presume these taps are not seen as part of rifles or Ammonution ? Will these taps be a legal product to bring to South Africa? Since recent times we in South Africa experience multiple times the confiscation of products like brass cases brought in from the USA, Germany with fellow members of this forum.
This is why I need to ask these questions, I do not want you to be placed under arrest of stuff confiscated from you Azdave.
It would be great if you will be able to bring at least two of these 6X48 gun thread taps, the taper ones.
Please let me know what the costs will be so I can pay via paypal or SWIFT account. As always, my house is available to you to stay over , I will make you some great South African dishes at no costs at all..are there anything you will need when coming to SA.. just let me know , I will assist you any way possible

Gert,
it is just a common metal tool, but let me check.

Have a good weekend.

Dave

Suggest they are not put it in your carry on. I had a pair of split ring pliers along with a package of zip ties confiscated at Joburg on the way to Blomfontein.

Last edited:
Although often used in the firearms trade, its not a gun part. Its still only a metalworking tool. Any reason you can't have Brownells mail it out? For that matter, have you checks local tool suppliers to see if they have that size?

Absolutely love the community that this forum fosters! Was going to offer up my assistance but Azdave has you covered. Cheers!

Suggest they are not put it in your carry on. I had a pair of split ring pliers along with a package of zip ties confiscated at Joburg on the way to Blomfontein.
Hogpatrol, it seems there is not really a guide for these people at the airports to follow what have to be confiscated and what is legal . Previously an item like steel powder to make Damascus blades on my side was taken, and a few more items that really had nothing to do with arms or Ammonution at all.
My concern is when a visiting hunter brings items in to SA they are subject to questioning /interrogation at Doha ...that happened to friend `s son when he returned from Germany with 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser brass cases.
This is why I am cautious to ask members to bring items to South Africa, you need to keep in mind , the current government is aligned with Russia, China , Hamas , Hezbolha and any terrorist organization possible..

So South Africa is not trusted by the Western countries ....

Although often used in the firearms trade, its not a gun part. Its still only a metalworking tool. Any reason you can't have Brownells mail it out? For that matter, have you checks local tool suppliers to see if they have that size?
Local suppliers do not have this " 6x48 gun thread taps available, I can ask SOMTA to make it, it will cost considerably more . I searched Brownells web page , there are products available , when shipping to South Africa the shipping costs is more than double the price of the tap.

Thank you Deewayne, like I pointed out I am reluctant to ask members who visit SA, to bring items with, since it has made it difficult on Doha airport where they confiscated the items and the visiting/returning South African person`s flight was delayed due to him bringing 6,5x55 de-primed brass cases from Germany.
It seems flights that had to stand over/climb over at Doha experienced the most confiscations. Like I pointed out they took/stole/confiscated even two containers of "steel powder" I want to use for making Damascus blades.
I wanted to ask Canadian hunters visiting SA to bring me 1x BAD ACE M96 no drill/tap scope mount as well...but unfortunately Canada now has extremely strict rules currently.
You have to apply for a permanent export permit if you want to bring out a scope mount , I do understand this, the drawback being the visiting hunter have to spend a lot of effort/ time/ frustration to apply/receive such a export permit to bring this Item to SA...

I am then not even sure the Doha Airport police will even honor that permanent export permit and just take the item

Gert, U.S. direct to Joberg in checked bag, gun case or ammo box, taps should be ok. I've brought spare parts and small tools that route and method, no problem. Connections through Europe or other countries, different ballgame.

Gert, U.S. direct to Joberg in checked bag, gun case or ammo box, taps should be ok. I've brought spare parts and small tools that route and method, no problem. Connections through Europe or other countries, different ballgame.
Hogpatrol, definitely , only direct flights will work. As you pointed out connections through Europe and stop overs at Doha airport will not work.

I am flying Atlanta to Joberg.

A tap should be fine, but certain chamber reamers are not OK to export from the US.

Hunting caliber chamber reamers order from South Africa to Chamber reamer companies in the USA is not a challenge, if it is possible for a visiting hunter that has a direct flight . Only when landing at Doha airport , items are being confiscated/stolen..

Just on the subject of terminology. people maybe getting confused by the term "gun tap". No, this does not mean they are either a part of a gun nor does it mean they are specifically designed for use on firearms. The term "gun tap" is another name for Spiral Point Taps. They are often called "Gun Taps" because they shoot the chips ahead of the tap which reduces loading and clogging in the flutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lutori

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me