6X48 Gun thread Taps : Members are there anyone who comes to South Africa in the near future?

@rookhawk I have the same thought on all three taps as you mentioned and am planning on taking them later this year.

@Gert Odendaal I’m not visiting or I’d help you out. I think you need more than you’re asking for though. To drill and tap an action, you need three taps for the job. Standard tap, a second tap I can’t remember the name, and the bottoming out tap to create the flat bottom to the hole.

Brownells sells them all.
Rookhawk, yes you are correct, first I need to hear from USA hunters who visit South Africa if it will be possible to bring these taps with ...with all the set backs we experienced previously of items being confiscated it would be step one...I do not want to get a hunter going through an ordeal just to bring items with him and get him arrested /hold up at an airport ...
It is not worthwhile at all. The only less likely scenario will be a direct flight to SA.
As soon as you stop over at Doha you can be sure that these items will be confiscated even if it has nothing to do with rifles.

@rookhawk I have the same thought on all three taps as you mentioned and am planning on taking them later this year.
Dave, as long as this endeavor will not cause you hold ups /fines at these Airports ...this is my greatest concern....

Members I am in need of 5x Gun thread taps 6x48 . If any one is visiting SA in the near future I would appreciate it greatly if you can bring along these taps.. I will order/pay it and send it to your address to bring it when visiting SA. PM me if this will be possible

@Gert Odendaal do you have a very high quality knee mill like a bridgeport or clausing to do the milling/tapping?

If not, I might suggest you aim for the stars and get a drilling fixture. I had to look awhile to find one, but I have a purpose built drill-and-tap fixture for actions and barrels, plus all the of the collets for the various screw sizes, plus the correct number drills and taps.

For the whole setup, you're going to spend about $700, more than half that being the fixture, the rest being all the taps and drills. With this setup, you can do high quality, precise gunsmithing with the use of only a good quality drill press that has minimal runout and an x/y table.

In the USA, to get drilling and tapping of actions done correctly, you're going to spend about $150. It takes me about 1.5 hours or so to complete the job myself, so it paid for itself quickly.

If you need the name of the jig, let me know. I think I saw one for sale on this forum about 4-6 months ago for a very good price.

I am headed over in 3 weeks - more than happy to bring a set if needed. I’m flying direct to Joburg and don’t see any reason it would cause an issue in checked bag

@Berettaco I already have the taps, I can send them to you so you can get them to @Gert Odendaal before I can. PM me an address and I will get them to you.

Dave/Berettaco I really appreciate this great effort. If there is anything I can do for your members here in South Africa , please let me know, I have stated previously that any member is welcome to stay over at my home...I will make you great South African dishes , this will not cost you anything . I will fetch you at OR Tambo and take you anywhere you need to be in South Africa. Dave please send me you bank account details so I can pay for the set of taps you are sending me..these taps will be put to work as soon as I have them in hand..
I have a .500 Jeffery I need to build, Frans Odendaal of Eagle Barrels already made me a heavy barrel , I asked for a large diameter knox of 120mm long to have all the weight in my hands ..

I will drill/tap a MOD 98 Large ring Mauser receiver for this .500 Jeffery build..

I am headed over in 3 weeks - more than happy to bring a set if needed. I’m flying direct to Joburg and don’t see any reason it would cause an issue in checked bag
Berettaco, thank you kindly , this is much appreciated .Just let me know the date/Time your flight lands ..so I can be there to meet you .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarinaWyan

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]