6.8lb 45-70

Yeah and make sure your cheek is about an inch off the comb too lol

So let me see if I got this right. The rules for success are leave a small gap between the butt and my shoulder, hold my head high ( so as to be able to see thru that 56 mm scope set to high power) and go hunt a buffalo. Someone did say something about 404 territory right?

Here is a heavy 45-70 load from AmmoGuide that will kill cape buffalo quicker than a 375HH. Also check out Cutting Edge Bullets .458 Raptors and Solids.
View Reloading Data for the
.45-70 Government

Calculate trajectory for this load

Bullet Wt.
(gr)
Powder
Type
Charge
(gr)
Muzzle
Vel. (fps)
K.E.
(ft-lbs)
Pressure Barrel
Length (in)
Overall
Length (in)

300​
H-4198​
58.0​
2,500​
4,165​
32.0​

Load submitted by 'tykempster'.
This load was developed using Remington flat-pointed, hollow-point, flat-based bullets.
In terms of power, the developer considers this a heavy load.
Winchester cases and CCI Large Rifle primers were used in development.
COMMENTS:
From H&R Buffalo Classic,, Hodgdon states you can go to 60 grains with lever action pressures.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 12.51.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 12.51.39 PM.png
    511.7 KB · Views: 71
So let me see if I got this right. The rules for success are leave a small gap between the butt and my shoulder, hold my head high ( so as to be able to see thru that 56 mm scope set to high power) and go hunt a buffalo. Someone did say something about 404 territory right?
Don’t forget to employ a loose, almost cradle-like grip :D

Here is a heavy 45-70 load from AmmoGuide that will kill cape buffalo quicker than a 375HH. Also check out Cutting Edge Bullets .458 Raptors and Solids.
View Reloading Data for the
.45-70 Government

Calculate trajectory for this load

Bullet Wt.
(gr)
Powder
Type
Charge
(gr)
Muzzle
Vel. (fps)
K.E.
(ft-lbs)
Pressure Barrel
Length (in)
Overall
Length (in)

300​
H-4198​
58.0​
2,500​
4,165​
32.0​

Load submitted by 'tykempster'.
This load was developed using Remington flat-pointed, hollow-point, flat-based bullets.
In terms of power, the developer considers this a heavy load.
Winchester cases and CCI Large Rifle primers were used in development.
COMMENTS:
From H&R Buffalo Classic,, Hodgdon states you can go to 60 grains with lever action pressures.

I did get a box of Lehigh defense controlled fracturing 300 gr to try on white tails. Do you have any idea how they compare to the ceb raptors?

The man who invented the Cutting Edge Bullet speaks highly of the Lehigh bullets. ( and he is a real bullet afficiendo.)

Google, B&M Rifles and Cartridges.
Michael lives in South Carolina.

Brian

The 258 and 260 grain Raptors and Maximus are highly rated for anything in North America.
I would go for the 295gr Raptor and 325 gr Solids for Cape buffalo. Cheers, Brian

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 10.34.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 10.34.04 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 10.34.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 10.34.06 AM.png
    3 MB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 10.34.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 10.34.09 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 65
Henry makes some really cool, hard to pass up, lever guns.
I ran the numbers on a recoil calculator and came up with the same basic number as Kuksuya.
57.3 ft lb recoil.
Lyman gives just under 1800 fps top with a 405gr jacketed bullet which would drop the recoil to 42.5 ft lbs.
It also needs to be mentioned that there is recoil speed added to the number. My Sabatti DR in 500 NE delivered 100 ft lb at 25 mph. This is much different from a slow heavy push some describe from say a 450-400 etc.
The lever guns also tend to have a narrow butt so can feel more like being jabbed in the shoulder.
As was mentioned by someone, in a serious social engagement one never remembers the recoil or gun shot. This doesn't apply to casual range sessions. :)
I worked up reduced cast lead loads for my Sabatti 500 NE so I could enjoy shooting it more. The 400gr bullets are akin to shooting a 45-70 and quite fun.

lol! when i saw the post title "6.8 lb 45-70" and I saw the loads you were considering. I just thought ouch ouch ouch!

In reality I’m planning on more in the range of trapdoor loads but I figured this discussion would be more enjoyable then talking about covid Lol

In reality I’m planning on more in the range of trapdoor loads but I figured this discussion would be more enjoyable then talking about covid Lol
I’ve been having good luck with the marlin level loads, the trapdoor loads are far more enjoyable to shoot in a light rifle though.

Tolerance is a funny thing, and I never, ever think anything of anyone for where their level is. My two daughters are both small (5' and 5'1"). My oldest (21) has trouble with anything over a .243. My youngest (18) can shoot - reasonably accurately - my .45-70 with the Hornady 325 Lever loads.

I have not had a lot of experience with heavy recoil stuff. The biggest in my stable include that GBL, a .300 WM, and a short barreled 870 (bear protection) with Brenneke slugs. I can shoot all of them comfortably. And I shot my GBL a crap-ton this year, getting ready for Africa. Happy Sunday everybody.

lol! when i saw the post title "6.8 lb 45-70" and I saw the loads you were considering. I just thought ouch ouch ouch!
My relatively mild load in my 12lb 500 Jeffery is as follows:

570g TSX at 2300 fps, 103g H4895, 12 lb rifle (includes scope)

recoil:88.12 ft/lbs
recoil velocity: 21.74 fps

Bear in mind my rifle (a CZ 550) has a nice wide butt lol and a good recoil pad so it's not unpleasant to shoot. So while not a "recoil sponge" I'm not unfamiliar with it :)

colorado,
That sounds like an excellent load with a proven bullet in a good rifle.
I'll bet it is a real hammer on buffalo!
My single shot 577NE weighs the same 12 lbs. and I shoot a 700 grain Peregrine Bushmaster at about 1800 fps these days. In the field it is not too bad to shoot.
I agree that the wide butt pad is the ticket. I use a Limbsaver Nitro.

I just installed a Holosun HE507C-GR on it but have not tried it yet. It seem like it will work pretty well. Cheers, Brian

When I saw 6.8# .45-70, I thought now someone's trying to make a .45-70 impressive.

I'm not impressed with the lines. It's just not something I would pursue. I think Henry Arms just draws a design and then goes back to the drawing board and makes it look even worse.

Forrest, Your comments make a lot of sense.

I must confess that all my lever guns are Winchesters and I bought them for several reasons beyond having grown up shooting Winchester rifles. One reason was ability to handle heavy loads structurally and weighing enough to make heavy loads useable by the shooter - me. My big 1886 weighs 9.5 pounds empty and 10 loaded..
Some folks see the steel butt plate and shy away in fear of being bruised by it. They do not know it is the key to recoil control and control of the rifle in recoil. Another good reason is cartridge selection for BIG game - ie .405 WCF and .45-90, both proven serious BG and DG cartridges.
I respect the .45-70, but prefer the added .3 inch of powder for DG. I also have an 1886 45-70 and Beretta 45-70 DR,(a sweet, no recoil, shooter) so I am not prejudiced against that cartridge.
BTW, such things can be argued over, but I did my research and am happy with my results. To each his own.

@crs I have always enjoyed your reasoning and championing of the lever gun.

I too have an 1886 and it's a light recoil gun. The crescent plate is just fine. I find it to be a gun that is gentle on the shoulder and ears, while knocking the heck out of whatever it hits. I'm good with it and I love the ring of the brass as it hits the ground. You've also got to love the mechanical engineering involved. That feeling of absolute reassurance that a big damned cartridge has been summoned as the interrupter trips and there's a shudder in the action as around three inches of big bore tapered goodness lines up on the elevator.

I wasn't happy with the Henry I saw shot at the range. It had a problem running .357's in 158 grain. The only thing I liked was that the magazine tube came out like a .22 and fixed the problem. The gun struck me as rougher than a Marlin and as aesthetically appealing as a Mossberg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeannieLan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.