6.5x55 for mid Asian ibex?

Your 6.5 would do the job under ideal to good conditions. And I am a huge fan of the little mauser as a deer rifle (also the 6.5x57). I have both and they are lovely little things - for deer. I also would not even think of lugging a .375 around an Asian mountain in winter and at altitude (and I love the .375). Were I traveling that far with that much invested in a hunt, where my one an only shot is just likely to be in marginal conditions and at very long range, I would opt for a cartridge and rifle which would give me every possible edge. In my rifle rack that is a .300 WM on an R8 action with Leica 2.4x16 securely in place. If I had the same rifle with a .300 Weatherby, .300 RUM, or .300 Lapua barrel, I would likely take that.
 
Ive been offered a .284 and a 6.5x47 lap. Shall be looking at the .284 tonight but I have been told its rather heavy :E Strong:
I have however decided to top it off with my S&B PM2 3-12x50
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,269
Messages
1,570,130
Members
168,848
Latest member
RondaToups
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top